U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: transplants, diversity, traffic, high stress jobs, four seasons.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:41 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,233,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
I like your post a lot. As far as NY folks go, you have to look at the total picture. Many are hyper having lived rushed lives to compete up there. Many are loud about wanting certain things. I understand those qualities as we spent several years just outside NYC.

But like anybody, you can not take people in a vacuum, you have to look at the total picture. New Yorkers are some of the most helpful people I have ever met. When they hear someone had a family crisis, they descend with gifts and help. We experienced this when we lived in Jupiter, Coral Springs, and now Boca.

NYC is the financial hub of the world. That area contributes far more to the US Treasury than it takes back. That is vital to the overall success of America. Many folks up there do high stress jobs none of us would want....but these jobs are vital to the overall success and way of life we all enjoy. And many of these jobs require a tough, pushy personality type to get them done.

Whether its a farmer in the midwest contributing to the food supply or a noisy New Yorker who moved to Florida after working on Wall Street, everyone contributes something valuable.

Many New Yorkers are like a coworker we have all had. They may be loud, but they get stuff done that others in the office can't. They may seem rude, but they hear your husband was in a bad car accident and the next day they offer to do your work so you can knock off early and tend to things.

America needs mellow people, America needs hard working people, and yes, America needs hyper, pushy New Yorkers. It takes all personality types to do certain jobs and make the whole thing work.
One-half of my family is New Yorkers. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 04:21 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
...Or any of the other hundreds of cultural/political/educational problems that we struggled with, just as FL struggles with, or any other place does....

No part of our country is any better than the other. There are only unique customs, traditions, and "flair" that shape a city and its people. The customs & the people evolve as time moves forward, and as difficult as the changes can be, I aim to appreciate rather criticize them.
Healthy, positive thoughts.

Thank you for sharing.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:30 AM

975 posts, read 3,429,699 times
It sounds like you want the move to be a failure. I would try to make the best of it, then you can leave when the times comes and not have 5(?) wasted years to look back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I lived here before 30 years ago in the "good old days". I disliked it then and I dislike it now.

Even though I have a much better standard of living now, it doesn't matter. You simply CANNOT replace family or the 4 seasons with MONEY. No amount of sun (hate sun) or beaches (same) will ever compensate for that.

I will NEVER adjust to it here. What's more, I have no desire to.

Enjoy your life here. You can blast me all you want, but my private emails show I am not alone.

PS. Don't EVER call me a Floridian just because I own property here and have registered my car here. I had no choice in that.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:23 PM

237 posts, read 1,007,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I looked at other posts of yours so I know where you are going. What was your criteria in making your decision? Quite a contrast?
Excellent question.

Having the 4 seasons was important. Every Oct. in FL I found myself expecting the leaves to change and the air to be cooler, but was always disappointed. (My dad strongly diasgrees w/ ANY change of temperature below 85, so I'm worried that we're not related!).

I wanted acity that had access to a large selection of bookstore, coffee shops, & shopping centers. Where I lived in Palm Coast the closest Target, bookstore, or large shopping center was 40 minutes away. I'm not the kind of person that has to go shopping all of the time, but I appreciate having those things just around the corner.

I'm in my mid-twenties and wanted a city that catered to a younger/single crowd. I'm over most of my party stage , but feel invigorated by being around the "hustle & bustle".

Having access to public transportation was another high priority. I know to advance in my field I'll be required to work in the city, but I don't like to deal w/ traffic. Using the bus/rail line/subway also helps save money in gasoline.

I love being outside. While living in WI I had cabin fever from Dec. - May because I'm sensitive to the cold. In FL I had cabin fever from June - October because I'm sensitive to the humidity. I realize there's no perfect weather system out there, but I knew there had to be a happy medium. I love biking, hiking, & just strolling around city streets and wanted access to bike trails, camp grounds, etc.

Finally, I wanted to have a 4-yr university system w/in driving distance to further my education, if desired.

Taking all of this into consideration, I chose Denver. It's not a perfect city, I don't expect it to be everything I imagine it to be, but I'm optimistic.

Today was my 1st day of the 4 day road trip to get there. I'm wildly excited. Just gathering the courage to actually move somewhere and find my own place, as my family did when choosing FL, is a step in the right direction. If Denver winds up not working, for whatever reason, I can simply pack up the experience & try again.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 PM

199 posts, read 167,757 times
Quote:
Excellent question.

Having the 4 seasons was important. Every Oct. in FL I found myself expecting the leaves to change and the air to be cooler, but was always disappointed. (My dad strongly diasgrees w/ ANY change of temperature below 85, so I'm worried that we're not related!).

I wanted acity that had access to a large selection of bookstore, coffee shops, & shopping centers. Where I lived in Palm Coast the closest Target, bookstore, or large shopping center was 40 minutes away. I'm not the kind of person that has to go shopping all of the time, but I appreciate having those things just around the corner.

I'm in my mid-twenties and wanted a city that catered to a younger/single crowd. I'm over most of my party stage , but feel invigorated by being around the "hustle & bustle".

Having access to public transportation was another high priority. I know to advance in my field I'll be required to work in the city, but I don't like to deal w/ traffic. Using the bus/rail line/subway also helps save money in gasoline.

I love being outside. While living in WI I had cabin fever from Dec. - May because I'm sensitive to the cold. In FL I had cabin fever from June - October because I'm sensitive to the humidity. I realize there's no perfect weather system out there, but I knew there had to be a happy medium. I love biking, hiking, & just strolling around city streets and wanted access to bike trails, camp grounds, etc.

Finally, I wanted to have a 4-yr university system w/in driving distance to further my education, if desired.

Taking all of this into consideration, I chose Denver. It's not a perfect city, I don't expect it to be everything I imagine it to be, but I'm optimistic.

Today was my 1st day of the 4 day road trip to get there. I'm wildly excited. Just gathering the courage to actually move somewhere and find my own place, as my family did when choosing FL, is a step in the right direction. If Denver winds up not working, for whatever reason, I can simply pack up the experience & try again.
Good for you striking out on your own to find your place. From the ages of 17 to 28 I tried Ohio, central PA, NH, MA, VA, south east PA, DE, central NC, coastal NC, Florida panhandle, S. FL.

For me, S FL was what I wanted,

Enjoy the adventure. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:49 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,158,255 times
When you get a look at those Flatirons, you won't be coming back!

The thing about NY - and I'm really speaking of NYC, the boroughs, and the immediate suburbs (Rockland, Westchester, etc.), not "upstate" here - is that it is so cutthroat, so competitive that in order to survive, you have to have some aggression. If someone has never lived there, it simply can't be understood, there's nothing quite like it. There's also few cities that can even compare to NYC (maybe Paris?), it is a phenomenal place to live and I don't regret a single minute of it, even though I chose to leave.

Florida is something entirely different. There's something about Florida, that's for sure. New York, California, Florida - the triptych, right?!

I'm glad you got to see some of the good parts of Jax, Averie-Jay . I don't know that I would have been happy here in my 20's, so I don't blame you a bit. When you're in your mid-30's, 40's, etc., it might be a perfect fit .

Best of luck! Colorado is gorgeous!! Promise me you'll at least visit Estes Park once! I used to love driving through the mountains getting there.....incredible beauty .

Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 PM

237 posts, read 1,007,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
When you get a look at those Flatirons, you won't be coming back!

The thing about NY - and I'm really speaking of NYC, the boroughs, and the immediate suburbs (Rockland, Westchester, etc.), not "upstate" here - is that it is so cutthroat, so competitive that in order to survive, you have to have some aggression. If someone has never lived there, it simply can't be understood, there's nothing quite like it. There's also few cities that can even compare to NYC (maybe Paris?), it is a phenomenal place to live and I don't regret a single minute of it, even though I chose to leave.

Florida is something entirely different. There's something about Florida, that's for sure. New York, California, Florida - the triptych, right?!

I'm glad you got to see some of the good parts of Jax, Averie-Jay . I don't know that I would have been happy here in my 20's, so I don't blame you a bit. When you're in your mid-30's, 40's, etc., it might be a perfect fit .

Best of luck! Colorado is gorgeous!! Promise me you'll at least visit Estes Park once! I used to love driving through the mountains getting there.....incredible beauty .
I promise to visit Estes, it's actually my 2nd thing of "Immediate Things To Do". My first thing is to buy a pair of boots!

FlatIrons....you mean the mall? Because that's #3!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,158,255 times
Quote:
FlatIrons....you mean the mall? Because that's #3!
The FlatIrons of the Rocky Mountains - Boulder is built at their base. Here's a link with some not-so-impressive pics, they look much more spectacular in real-life :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatirons

Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 AM

137 posts, read 497,995 times
Quote:
I was reading through a thread a few moments ago that was bursting with arguments about Floridians hating New Yorkers, Northerners hating southern "hill-billys" and so forth.

Personally, I moved to Florida because I relented to my parents' pestering. The winter weather was an improvement, but I quickly regretted my decision, so what better way to express my misery than by resenting the New Jersey/New York "attitudes" & glamourizing the Midwest? I only hurt myself by doing this, but thankfully learned the importance of accepting differences.

My job in FL is exactly 1/2 block from the beach & the city pier. Not one day goes by (even during the Red Tide we had a few weeks ago) that the locals aren't out watching the surf, swimming, or fishing off the pier. They smile through sun-burned faces and make driving down A1A very complicated as they dash across the street! They're living a life that makes them happy. I was not living happily and I resented them for that.

Because FL isn't the right place for me - I miss the seasons & need a city with better employment in my field - I dug up info on almost every state in the nation to figure out where I wanted to live. One fact presented itself over and over again in each city - Some people hated it there & many others did not. I was devestated that I couldn't find a "perfect" city by everyone else's standards, but finally realized there ISN'T a "perfect" city that everyone can agree on. I just had to concentrate on finding the "perfect" city for me. (Leaving tomorrow morning actually - VERY excited!)

After too long a time I realized the error of my way and I shed the animosity toward humidity/transplants/bad drivers. In the past few months I've been fortunate enough to appreciate FL for what it is - a sunny state with beautiful foliage & an amazingly diverse population. I can see why so many people want to make this state their home - there's a lot to be thankful for here.

At my job I work with a West Virginian, a Cape Cod-er, 2 Georgians, a New Yorker, & a Texan. Try doing that in any other state! And they're ALL wonderful people. Very different, but very wonderful.

Of course, I can't count how many times a NY accented fellow has cut in front of me in line, complained about the lack of properly prepared Manhattan style pizza, etc. Not to mention how many times I've seen a certain state's license plate cut me off! (You know who you are!!) However, what I chose to forget were the countless times a Wisconsinite has done the same thing (well, WI doesnt' have an exceptionally strong opinion about pizza)...Or any of the other hundreds of cultural/political/educational problems that we struggled with, just as FL struggles with, or any other place does.

My point is (after a very long-winded post) that I realize that I was wrong. I apologize to all of the New York & New Jersey folks that I once had a prejudice against. I wish I'd been more accepting of my fellow Floridian transplants much earlier, I could've learned more from you & therefore more about myself. I'm only thankful that I've had the last several months to make up for the lost time. (I still love to tease all of you, though!)

No part of our country is any better than the other. There are only unique customs, traditions, and "flair" that shape a city and its people. The customs & the people evolve as time moves forward, and as difficult as the changes can be, I aim to appreciate rather criticize them.

Happy Trails, Florida!

Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 AM

149 posts, read 642,171 times
Well said! Good luck to you in the future!

Prodromos Borboroglu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida