U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 10:07 AM

269 posts, read 963,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I didn't go through college and become a teacher, and my husband doesn't work 6 days a week delivering mail, to be house poor. Unfortunately, what I want-a nice home that is just a little bigger (hey, I am a realist-I don't want a manshion), with a yard, in a good school system that is affordable for our salaries with affordable taxes and insurance (and without all of this construction on top of construction and traffic) is not obtainable in Florida.
So I am not saying I hate Florida. But it is people like myself, and my husband, who can not afford to live here comfortably.
Please tell me that you're not an English teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 16,892 times
I feel your pain.Lived in Florida for 29 years and same situation here.Working on a move out of this state.Anyone moving here from out of state,GOOD LUCK TO YA!!!!!Hope you have a nice size bank account cause you're gonna need it!!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
I always loved Florida, still do. But Florida is all but gone. It's New York, Los Angeles, Havana, who knows what else. The Florida I remember was interesting, full of tacky local attractions, roadside produce, swamps, woods, and plenty of homebuilt structures. Now it's become a monolithic, expensive place with money all around you can't get to. Some areas are so poor and run down they look like a third world country. Look at the old postcards and films from the past. That does not exist today

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...diatype:movies

Just to see what you newcomers will never experience. An easygoing cheap place to live with some really interesting people.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 AM

243 posts, read 1,011,131 times
Want to remember old Florida? Look at the few remaining run down motels along Dade and Broward's coast and the 1200 sq ft. 1950's homes out west. That was what much of old Florida looked like in the "good old days". Plus multiply the number of mosquitos you have now by 5 for the goold old days feeling. Guess those rose-tinted glasses work great when looking back in time.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:06 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
And to think I live in a 1000 square foot house I built and love it. In contrast to the huge Mc mansions from the 90's. And a run down motel is better than an enclosed mega hotel with windows that don't open. Oh and totally unaffordable. I love mosquitoes, they keep the tourists from moving here permanently..!

Old 11-03-2006, 12:19 PM

Because most of us want a house, not some tiny dingy 1/1 condo. If you are happy being cramped up in a tiny space, your choice. I feel I deserve better, like a real house with like 4 bedrooms.

No I'm not cramped up being 1 (ONE) guy in a 1200 sq. ft. 1 bedroom condo, not at all. And living in a 4 bedroom house requires earning it first, not just because someone thinks they deserve it because they went to college, or because their parents did, or because they're Florida natives. I just find it bizarre that someone who's just starting out in life demands a detached 3-4 bedroom home, otherwise it's the State of Florida's fault, New Yorker's faults, THE MAN's fault, the economy's fault, etc. It takes years of working, usually working overtime, plus years of scrimping and saving to achieve this. But don't take my word for it, the real world will straighten it all out for you.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:28 PM

83 posts, read 320,298 times
Well, some natives feel resentment because they have lived here all of their lives and were used to a certain income/lifestyle ratio. I know we all have to accept that change is inevitable and at some point you have to face it but that doesn't mean it is easy or that folks should be happy about it. I don't see anything lazy in that. A lot of natives have worked hard to have what they have and now they are struggling to pay their bills to keep it...whether that is their old Fl cracker house shack or their 4 br suburbia home. Then some people like myself were not at a point in their lives to buy a home five, ten years ago, and now it isn't even feasible. Some people require a 3-4 br house because they have children or other family members. I am used to living in small houses, under 1000SF, paying around $1000 a month in rent but I still need 3 bedrooms to accommodate everyone in the family. I don't see anything lavish about that so much as it is a necessity. If I could get by with a 1 br or studio apt and pay less I would be happy to.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 PM

467 posts, read 1,549,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
Because most of us want a house, not some tiny dingy 1/1 condo. If you are happy being cramped up in a tiny space, your choice. I feel I deserve better, like a real house with like 4 bedrooms.

No I'm not cramped up being 1 (ONE) guy in a 1200 sq. ft. 1 bedroom condo, not at all. And living in a 4 bedroom house requires earning it first, not just because someone thinks they deserve it because they went to college, or because their parents did, or because they're Florida natives. I just find it bizarre that someone who's just starting out in life demands a detached 3-4 bedroom home, otherwise it's the State of Florida's fault, New Yorker's faults, THE MAN's fault, the economy's fault, etc. It takes years of working, usually working overtime, plus years of scrimping and saving to achieve this. But don't take my word for it, the real world will straighten it all out for you.

couldnt agree with you more....

Old 11-03-2006, 12:47 PM

504 posts, read 1,641,898 times
Some people do not want to clean, mow lawns or be responsible for outside repairs, they would rather play tennis, go fishing, go boating, travel, spend money on other things. My daughter has a condo, she does not want kids, a lawn, or to be bothered by roof repair etc. My sister lives in New York city, she loves it needless to say she does not live in a house, she could sell her place and probably buy your house and be miserable. I am 60 years old and i am tired of maintaining this house and its not big, so I too will be moving to something even smaller.
Just because you do not live in a big place does not mean you want to. It amazes me how much room we think we need to live in, many people raised and still raise very large families on a lot less than 1200 sq feet.
Thier is nothing dingy about my sisters condo{co op} or my daughters condo.
Oh **** I forgot about my others daughters townhouse about 1200 sq feet in Melbourne beach, the only thing dingy about it is the insurance premium 8400.00 a year.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:21 PM

Oh **** I forgot about my others daughters townhouse about 1200 sq feet in Melbourne beach, the only thing dingy about it is the insurance premium 8400.00 a year.[/quote]

I'd rather live in a 1200sq ft townhouse in Melbourne beach than a 6000 sq ft house in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or