U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
For those that hate it in Florida so much, what is keeping you here? If I hated a location, I'd find a way to get out! I hope that those hating life here find a way to get out soon. Life is too short to be miserable!

For those of us the love it here, we can still enjoy the great things that brought us here in the first place.
Some of us are held hostage to our homes as they are just not salable. Our newspaper lists homes that sold every week. Last week not one home sold in the town I live in. It is a town of well over 100, 000, so if we can not sell our homes how the heck do we get out??? Investors will buy for pennies on the dollar so again no money to go elsewhere. I am glad you are happy. I guess you do not have to pay $4,000.00 to $6,000.00 a year for insrance. Or you retired from up north with a VERY good pension. That is usually not an option to those of us who have worked and retired here. Florida is a low pay state. Leaving is a case of economics. It is NOT the place I moved to 33 years ago. It is no longer a safe place. I would never leave a door unlocked here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 40,949 times
My parents are Florida natives. They moved away for five years. They thought the same as many of the previous posters (cheaper homes, cheapercost of living, etc....) They could not understand why I stayed and invested in real estate. Now they are glad I did. They moved back to FL from MO. The house they paid $89k for sold for $89k 5 years later. They did not save anything because state and local taxes made up for the difference in property taxes and they did not earn any appreciation on their house. Then they could not afford to buy a comparable house in Florida. It is a good thing their daughter had a house to give them. Everyone has reasons for stayiong and reasons for going, but the grass isn't always greener

Old 02-08-2007, 06:15 PM

11 posts, read 40,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaTink View Post
Some of us are held hostage to our homes as they are just not salable. Our newspaper lists homes that sold every week. Last week not one home sold in the town I live in. It is a town of well over 100, 000, so if we can not sell our homes how the heck do we get out??? Investors will buy for pennies on the dollar so again no money to go elsewhere. I am glad you are happy. I guess you do not have to pay $4,000.00 to $6,000.00 a year for insrance. Or you retired from up north with a VERY good pension. That is usually not an option to those of us who have worked and retired here. Florida is a low pay state. Leaving is a case of economics. It is NOT the place I moved to 33 years ago. It is no longer a safe place. I would never leave a door unlocked here.
Maybe you are just in the wrong area....there are still old FL towns out there. I leave my door unlocked frequently. We leave the garage door open for days at a time (on our detached garage facing the street) with all of the tools/lawn equip. visable. In the past 24 hours, 72 properties have gone under contract in our small town. You may not need to give up on Florida yet....

Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM

155 posts, read 222,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy View Post
This is mostly going to be negative, so if that offends you, you may want to stop reading now. I have lived in Florida all my life, so has my wife. Our house is a small, but nicely restored original Florida Cracker house in the center of the state, away from the coasts. Our homeowners insurance has quadrupled since the hurricanes a few years ago. Our mortgage has doubled since the homeowners is included in the payment. We are becoming too poor to own the home we spent 10 years restoring. We've had no claims, and no hurricanes this season, but halfway through the policy term they are increasing our rates again! The Insurance Commisioner is impotent in the face of the Insurance Industry and we are being sqeezed out of our home. Money we were paying on our mortgage to shorten the time to pay it off now goes to insurance. We pay four to five times more than we did for less coverage than we had. Anyone moving to Florida may want to consider this state wide situation. Sadly for us it's time to leave Florida. Our house will be on the market by years end and our dreams will be very different in the future.
This may bring no comfort to you, but YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I am almost tempted to say "join the club".

Watching Local Fox tonight, they had a report that because Charlie Crist is being "too tough on insurance companies", several companies that sell homw owner's insurance have left the state and others are not renewing policies anymore. I am not talking about coastal areas only... I am talking about inlad (Orlando, Lakeland, etc).

The other night we saw this couple that had to take out an equity loan from their property just to pay for home insurance and property taxes. IT IS THAT BAD!

Do not be surprised to learn that most middle class people are flocking out of this state like there is no tomorrow. Most people who move down are northern junkie types/criminals and rich folks. Have you guys noticed how bad crime is getting?? People are desperate, the jobs here pay nothing (I have a friend from low-paying WV tell me the jobs here pay nothing), and the cost of living is astronomical. People are getting desperate and desperate people make dangerous criminals.

The age of retirees and middle class families in Florida is over. The age of the very rich and very poor has come. Welcome to Southern California... I mean FLORIDA!!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,750,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Penny View Post
My parents are Florida natives. They moved away for five years. They thought the same as many of the previous posters (cheaper homes, cheapercost of living, etc....) They could not understand why I stayed and invested in real estate. Now they are glad I did. They moved back to FL from MO. The house they paid $89k for sold for $89k 5 years later. They did not save anything because state and local taxes made up for the difference in property taxes and they did not earn any appreciation on their house. Then they could not afford to buy a comparable house in Florida. It is a good thing their daughter had a house to give them. Everyone has reasons for stayiong and reasons for going, but the grass isn't always greener
What exactly do you think the high property taxes and insurance in FL are going to do to home values. They'll become stagnant, just like in CA and NY.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:25 PM

36 posts, read 101,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Are we on Noah's Ark ? Same boat here. Left family home that I was 6 months old when we moved in. Florida is out of control. Miami is migrating north. Taxes and Insurance are unbelievable, add to that the price of electricty and gas.
Left a month ago, and have experienced so much less stress. My last electric bill in Florida, running a/c only at night, was $465.($15.50 day), got my first electric bill here $138.00($4.60 day). Have not run the a/c here, but did turn the heat on for a very short time just to get chill ot of house (have exotic birds) Price of gas when I left Florida was $3.02 regular, here $2.10.
It took me 5 years to get my husband to leave Florida, and after a short time here, I don't think I could get my husband or son to go back.
My heart goes out to you.
From today's news:

The director of Florida TaxWatch says it’s not an urban myth… city and county governments really are taking a bigger chunk out of your budget. As state lawmakers debate the need for property tax relief, local governments have been described as the bad guys for letting taxes get out of control.

City and county officials say it’s not true… but TaxWatch Director Dominic Calabro says the latest information from the census bureau tells an entirely different story. “One of the most revealing things that came out of brand new census data from the US Department of Commerce shows that Florida is the third highest tax and fee burden on the local taxpayers: the third highest called unsource revenues, which are both taxes and fees charged for services.

"That’s a dramatic change as a percent of personal income and sixth largest among the 50 states… the sixth largest among the 50 states on a per person basis.”

Old 06-11-2007, 09:47 PM

9 posts, read 36,798 times
Can't wait to leave this state. After living here for the last 45 years, I hate to say it but it is not the same. Florida has become a state of two seperate classes, the very rich or the very poor. If your stuck between the two you pay either way to support both. It is sad to see that the state has become too overdeveloped and will fail to see it before it is too late. When they drain swamp lands to build homes and shopping centers, then common sense has been thrown out the window. Four more years and then I'm gone. Found a great town in Wyoming and moving there.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,243,116 times
I'm ready to get out also! Moving north of the state is out since i hate winters, guess it's another country for me.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,399 times
I was one of those diluted individuals who insisted that there had to be a better place to live than this hurricane ravaged state with low pay and high cost of living. I moved last year to Las Vegas. Now I'm looking to move back to FLA.

The grass isn't always... hey wait, there is no grass in Vegas... desert scape. I miss my family, friends, the beach, culture, arts, watching the Space Shuttle take off, sunsets at the Pier in St. Pete, nightlife on South Beach, beautiful sugar sand in Panama City Beach, enjoying Key West. I hate the 120 degree Vegas summers with 4% humidity that sucks the water out of you, and flash floods that can destroy your car and house and drown you in the blink of an eye. Crazy drivers, tourists with the "what happens here stays here" attitude, did I mention the stifling heat. Oh and it snows here. Yes, the pay is better here but the cost of living is high. Crime/gangs/immigrants, did I mention earthquakes, oh and the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Repository. At least you can prepare for a hurricane.

The middle-class is being squeezed out of America. You'll either be on government assistance or driving a Hummer to the golf course.

Bring children into this crazy world?! Not

Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 AM

326 posts, read 370,203 times
as far as I know it, it is not just Florida that may be losing some middle class; people are moving to Canada because of what this entire country is becoming due to the dictator like rule of George W Bush!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or