U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:29 PM

6,572 posts, read 10,641,341 times

Advertisements

There are several websites with general information on state income tax: just put "state income tax" in a google search and you'll find them.

Apparently, South Carolina has six income tax brackets ranging from 2.5% on $2,570 and topping off at 7.0% on $12,850 and above. That seems pretty steep to me. But there are higher tax states.

One has to calculate the combination of house insurance, local property tax, state income tax for a full comparison of the costs of home ownership, throw in utilities, car insurance, and health insurance for a well-rounded cost-of-living comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 03:39 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Taxes are taxes you have to pay them, and with the boom in Florida its just a matter of time.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 59,104 times
Ready to leave Charlotte county......got hit by Charley and lost most of our home, then by shoddy (licenced) contractors, then by more then double homeowners insurance and high property tax....what once was "almost paradise," now seems more like the attack on the middleclass....just can't afford to live here....the cost of living also went out of control. Kids came to vist from Wisconsin and going grocery shopping blew them away...even fruit and veggies are cheaper up there....go figure.....Who would have thought at our age we would have to pack up and move north....Yesterday in Sarasota county gas was 2.14...across the county line in Charlotte county the cheapest I saw was 2.23...

Old 10-24-2006, 09:08 AM

800 posts, read 2,808,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I do understand your situation and hope that the state government reads your post. The only way to stop this “financial massacre” is for Governor to meet families like yours and take action to control the homeowners insurance program. We wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors.
A better option now is to review the candidates for Governor and talk to them about their plans for insurance rates. We elect a new Governor in a few weeks. Be sure to vote!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:04 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,157,725 times
Default We are leaving Charlotte County too

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtncgram View Post
Ready to leave Charlotte county......got hit by Charley and lost most of our home, then by shoddy (licenced) contractors, then by more then double homeowners insurance and high property tax....what once was "almost paradise," now seems more like the attack on the middleclass....just can't afford to live here....the cost of living also went out of control. Kids came to vist from Wisconsin and going grocery shopping blew them away...even fruit and veggies are cheaper up there....go figure.....Who would have thought at our age we would have to pack up and move north....Yesterday in Sarasota county gas was 2.14...across the county line in Charlotte county the cheapest I saw was 2.23...

We have our house sold, no thanks to the realtors...I sold it on my own and $2,000 less than what we were asking!
We are moving back to the Northeast. Two of our children will be staying down here but I sure don't know how they are going to make it.

I wish we could have stayed, but Hurricane Charley did a number on my head and our pocketbook. It's time to just go back to where we came from and be near our families. Family is number one when choosing to move somewhere.
Now I have to get the two kids that are staying down here to move back up near us. Our middle son is still in the Navy and he wants no part of Florida.
He is stationed in Jacksonville. He said he will be up there with us when he gets out in less than 2 years.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
not so lost,
I guess its time for you join the upper part of the east coast. Well i can only make life better you tell me where you would like to live as long as its on the east coast i can provide residencial shelter. I'm a loan officer for New enland merchants. You can contact me for assistance at Dariuce.Wilson@nemerchants.com

Old 10-24-2006, 11:50 AM

628 posts, read 1,675,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
What the heck is happening to America? Everybody is trying to do the state hop song & dance in hopes of finding affordability. It seems like everywhere has gotten too expensive for the average middle class family. I moved from NY to Florida to GA. How many times do we have to relocate just to survive? I think it's ridiculous and not to get political, but something has to give. What happened to the American dream?
I’m nowhere close to moving (just yet) however I constantly have my eye open for better opportunities. Problem is the place you go to today will not likely stay that way in the future. Best answer IMHO whether you stay or go is VOTE! So much is out of control because we trust our government to do the right thing and they are HAMMERING us. Talk about $cam artists and thieves!!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 02:29 PM

90 posts, read 322,778 times
I would pay twice the state taxes I do now rather than move back to that swamp. I moved to Arkansas 6 months ago and couldnt be happier. Miami is a pit. The people are horrible, the trafiic is horrible and the prices of everything are horrible. I make the same money I made in Fla but have half the bills. the people here are a million times nicer and the weather is great. I dont worry about hurricanes and this area i live in is one of the fastest growing in the country. If it werent for my family still lliving in that mess down there, I wouldnt care if the entire state dropped off and fell into the ocean. i wish i would have made this move sooner. Good Riddance.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:36 PM

4,341 posts, read 6,038,151 times
olddaddy, are you aware that you are fueling the problem? Your negative rants posted here for the world to see will not get your Florida home sold any time too soon. Shop around for a new policy. You're not married to your insurance company. I live 15 minutes from the coast and I insure a $500,000 home for $1300.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,496,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy View Post
This is mostly going to be negative, so if that offends you, you may want to stop reading now. I have lived in Florida all my life, so has my wife. Our house is a small, but nicely restored original Florida Cracker house in the center of the state, away from the coasts. Our homeowners insurance has quadrupled since the hurricanes a few years ago. Our mortgage has doubled since the homeowners is included in the payment. We are becoming too poor to own the home we spent 10 years restoring. We've had no claims, and no hurricanes this season, but halfway through the policy term they are increasing our rates again! The Insurance Commisioner is impotent in the face of the Insurance Industry and we are being sqeezed out of our home. Money we were paying on our mortgage to shorten the time to pay it off now goes to insurance. We pay four to five times more than we did for less coverage than we had. Anyone moving to Florida may want to consider this state wide situation. Sadly for us it's time to leave Florida. Our house will be on the market by years end and our dreams will be very different in the future.

Hi, I am in the same boat as you, I need to also get out because of isurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or