Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 15,827 times

Advertisements

This is mostly going to be negative, so if that offends you, you may want to stop reading now. I have lived in Florida all my life, so has my wife. Our house is a small, but nicely restored original Florida Cracker house in the center of the state, away from the coasts. Our homeowners insurance has quadrupled since the hurricanes a few years ago. Our mortgage has doubled since the homeowners is included in the payment. We are becoming too poor to own the home we spent 10 years restoring. We've had no claims, and no hurricanes this season, but halfway through the policy term they are increasing our rates again! The Insurance Commisioner is impotent in the face of the Insurance Industry and we are being sqeezed out of our home. Money we were paying on our mortgage to shorten the time to pay it off now goes to insurance. We pay four to five times more than we did for less coverage than we had. Anyone moving to Florida may want to consider this state wide situation. Sadly for us it's time to leave Florida. Our house will be on the market by years end and our dreams will be very different in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,347 times
I feel very bad for you and your wife. This seems to be a very bad epidemic that is out of control here in Fl. Seems like I hear alot of people stating the same things.

I was not born nor raised here. I miss my home state and family there very much. I wish the two of you the best of luck and hope you can adjust to moving away from your "home state".

Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
I do understand your situation and hope that the state government reads your post. The only way to stop this “financial massacre” is for Governor to meet families like yours and take action to control the homeowners insurance program. We wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:59 PM

55 posts, read 228,703 times
We're right behind ya! Can't leave soon enough!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:55 PM

265 posts, read 904,344 times
OldDaddy - That is just plain wrong. With our current leadership in Tallahassee I see no hope for your situation. Maybe the inflated real estate prices will ease your burden.

Hey, look for land in rural TN - that seems to be where the rest of us are going.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:11 PM

83 posts, read 346,246 times
I hear you brother. We are in the same boat. Fl no longer cares or caters to its natives. It seems to be all about buying a brand new home in some gated community that wipes out some type of animal and then renames the community after the animal it wiped out...wow, kind of like they are driving out us natives, huh? This no longer feels like home and I'll be sad to go but I'm afraid it is time.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,235 times
Olddaddy,The same reasons I left a few months ago.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,184 times
This is very sad for me to hear...I truly pray everyday that our leadership does something for it's folks, why should people be forced out of their life long homes? This is totally WRONG!

Old 10-12-2006, 07:20 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,063 times
Default Please make copies of your posts and send them to elected officials

Rather don't copy (not sure of copyright laws) but write or call their offices. That's the only why they'll put a voice and cry to your plight as right now we are only numbers. Call, write, e-mail and be heard.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:50 AM

177 posts, read 684,143 times
As someone who is going to be moving to Fla. early next year, I read these posts with great interest. I spent most of my life on Long Island (the Hamptons) and the last 7 years in Lancaster Pa. My primary criteria are getting away from winter and not paying income taxes on my pension.
The one thing that I have learned is that there is no Shangrila. Every place you go is going to have problems. Traffic congestion, overdevelopment, high taxes, crime, drugs. The list goes on.
I hope you find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida