Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking information from people who moved to Florida in 2006/2007; cost of living compared to other state, overall experience, still happy with move

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM

774 posts, read 2,381,202 times

Advertisements

Such as where did you move from and to?
I moved from Rhode Island to North Port on Oct 1st, 2007.

Did you make the right choice of towns?
We like the area a lot. It's close enough to beaches, Venice, and Punta Gorda, but not touristy or crowded.

Would you do it again?
YES, definitely.

Wish you did it sooner?
YES! I absolutely hate cold weather, but my wife and I decided to wait till my younger son graduated from High School.

Wish you wouldnt have ever done it?
No, I wish I could have done it years ago, really.

Did you research the town you moved to?
I researched the area for about 2 years, making numerous trips down and talking to everyone who would answer me.

Are you happy?
Except for leaving some family and friends behind, I would say we have been very happy with the move.

What about cost of living compared to your former state?
The cost of living in a place like R.I. is MUCH higher than Florida.... Look at it this way... Food is not cheaper here and gas isn't either.
Everything else pretty much is.

Did you get excited to move and are you still excited to be there or not?
My wife and I worked liked dogs to pull off this move... and I never want to move again in my life. We spent 4 --15 hours days in a row, packing and driving everything down. We did it, but I'm glad we're not elderly.

Lastly, we did a ton of research over the internet, which was helpful, but you've gotta get on the ground and really do the final leg work before deciding.

Also, I try not to let other people's opinions or negativity influence my final decisions one way or another.

Hope that helps.

Mikey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 03:42 PM

52 posts, read 288,003 times
We moved to Estero (b/w Naples & Ft Myers) in Dec 2006 from Kansas. We're still on-the-fence. The housing cost of living is much, much higher (even with the prices dropping, we had to settle for a smaller house which still cost more than 2x the house we had up north) but the rest is the same. Traffic is the same as the Kansas City area but KC has about twice the population of Ft Myers/Naples combined. I love the interesting things about Florida such as the beach, the animals/birds/gators and all the new stuff I get to experience. However, the kids are still rather unhappy because they have had so much difficulty making friends. They just haven't run into many kids their age that they can relate to. That is what is difficult about this place. Many people just got here, many are retired and many are just at a different place than my kids. We're so used to the midwest with its neighborhood schools and generally stable population that this is our biggest and most painful challenge. I wish we lived further north where the population seems to be more stable.

That said, slowly, slowly I'm starting to like being here. We moved here because my husband was made an offer we couldn't refuse. When we told the kids, my oldest said, "Mom, didn't you always say you would never move to Florida?" True, true. I was born in Sarasota and lived here until I was in grade school. After that, I came back every year to visit my dad so I'm thinking I had an emotional reaction to the thought of Florida. Funny that this was the place my husband's company really, really wanted him to go.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile For those who have moved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeabel View Post
We moved to Estero (b/w Naples & Ft Myers) in Dec 2006 from Kansas. We're still on-the-fence. The housing cost of living is much, much higher (even with the prices dropping, we had to settle for a smaller house which still cost more than 2x the house we had up north) but the rest is the same. Traffic is the same as the Kansas City area but KC has about twice the population of Ft Myers/Naples combined. I love the interesting things about Florida such as the beach, the animals/birds/gators and all the new stuff I get to experience. However, the kids are still rather unhappy because they have had so much difficulty making friends. They just haven't run into many kids their age that they can relate to. That is what is difficult about this place. Many people just got here, many are retired and many are just at a different place than my kids. We're so used to the midwest with its neighborhood schools and generally stable population that this is our biggest and most painful challenge. I wish we lived further north where the population seems to be more stable.

That said, slowly, slowly I'm starting to like being here. We moved here because my husband was made an offer we couldn't refuse. When we told the kids, my oldest said, "Mom, didn't you always say you would never move to Florida?" True, true. I was born in Sarasota and lived here until I was in grade school. After that, I came back every year to visit my dad so I'm thinking I had an emotional reaction to the thought of Florida. Funny that this was the place my husband's company really, really wanted him to go.
I am a longtime Florida resident; I love Naples actually (Sanibel too!) - live on the east coast in Boca Raton - came from the Chicago suburbs with parents but grew to love it - Now my husband and I both have elderly parents and children, nieces and nephews so it's very hard to leave plus the only one who has is our daughter who just moved to NYC after college. Everyone says - she'll be back. We'll see. People are people; there are nice ones everywhere!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,612 times
Default From N. Chicago Burbs to FL.

I made my move in 1990, hope you don't mind my input.

From the time I got here it seemed like home, I wanted something quieter and more country like where I grew up. I found it!!!
I've loved it and still do love it.
You can always find favorite restaurants with good food, just don't look to compare them with "back home", move on and try new foods.

In 2006 we found a place in N. Central Fl. with a little slower pace than here, now that the population has increased where we currently live.
We love that area too. Rural, quiet, got a place on 2 acres the dogs love to run.,,,,,but we still love this place too, so we go there for awhile and then come back here, too.
Florida has so much to offer from N. to Central to S.

Everyone can find their patch of sunshine, and there's usually a rainbow behind it.
I would say to anyone considering Fl. make your move,,,,you'll love it.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 PM

40 posts, read 110,953 times
Default Sunshine State

--Moved from MN to NE Florida late 2007.

--Yes! I really like the area and the proximity to the beach. There is enough fluctuation in the weather to create a slight change of season, but is still warm and sunny almost every day!

Would you do it again? Wish you did it sooner? Wish you wouldnt have ever done it?
--I would do it again in an instant! I loved MN and the friends I have there, but FL has been very very good to me thus far. As far as the timing, I don't know. I think the timing was just right for my move, so no---I don't wish I did it sooner.

--Oh absolutely. I researched and researched and researched before making a decision.

Are you happy? unhappy?
--I'm happy. I like my job, my town and FL in general.

--Cost of living is about the same.

--I was ecstatic about the move, and I'm still excited to be here.

Just some general idea of what you think, both the good and the bad.
--Weather is good, the people are ultra-friendly. I have no kids, so the schools aren't a concern yet, but they would be if I did have kids. I think the best advice anyone can give folks considering the move is to have a job in line before the move.
Once you pull the trigger---give yourself a year before you lay judgment. I think it'll grow on you.

Did City Data info/post help you in your choice?
--It helped me figure out the details, but the decision to move was made before I found this site. There has been some great feedback (both positive and negative) on here, and it's all helped me with the move.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,034 times
Wow, some great post with awesome info.

Thanks !

nanwalt3, sure we love to hear your info too. Your input is very valudable to people.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,039 times
We moved from Illinois to Palm Coast, Florida 7 months ago.

Yes, we really love this town, its not too big and not too small!

Would you do it again? Wish you did it sooner? Wish you wouldnt have ever done it?
Oh YES we would do it again anytime. Yes actually we wished we would have moved sooner, but we are just glad that we are here now and out of that COLD!

Yes we did alot of research and this town seemed right for us for many reasons!

Are you happy? unhappy?
Very Happy! We love it down here!

There are some things that are cheaper here and some things are a little bit more, but for the most part its about the same. for example, to get our tags renewed its about half the cost down here as it was in Illinois.
However a gallon of milk is a little more down here than in Illinois.

oh my goodness YES we were so excited! And yes I still wake up every morning very excited to be here!

Well really the positives outweigh any negatives. There are so many advantages to living here in Florida. The weather is a BIG positive! Unless of course if you cant stand the heat.
Every single day down here is absolutely gorgeous!
For the most part people are pretty nice, I have come across some unhappy north easterners (yes they did tell me they were unhappy here for various reasons) but there are far more people like us who love it down here.

YES! This site has been wonderful in helping us! It was great reading both the good and bad things about any area! I always tell others planning to move somewhere to check this site out!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:46 PM

672 posts, read 905,165 times
Default It is very difficult leaving family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I am a longtime Florida resident; I love Naples actually (Sanibel too!) - live on the east coast in Boca Raton - came from the Chicago suburbs with parents but grew to love it - Now my husband and I both have elderly parents and children, nieces and nephews so it's very hard to leave plus the only one who has is our daughter who just moved to NYC after college. Everyone says - she'll be back. We'll see. People are people; there are nice ones everywhere!
When I came in originally in 1970, I came because a BF at the time talked me into it. I left my parents and spent every day on the phone with them. Now, I came back because my husband got a job here and I am on the computer with my daughters every day. I really don't know how people can choose to live so far away from their family just because of the WEATHER.

My younger daughter is coming down whenever she gets a break (teacher), because she misses us, not particularly because she wants to be in Florida.

My older daughter will never come here. She is bipolar and cannot be in an enclosed space (planes or cars) for long periods. I have not seen her since June. I will have to go to her to see her. Although the plane fare is very cheap now in the middle of the winter to NY, it is OUTRAGEOUS to come back to Florida. The summer rates are about the same, but I would much prefer to go to NY in either the Fall or the Winter seasons, which I do love and miss.

All in all it is very, very difficult situation to be in, especially given the fact that I really don't like it here anyway.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 AM

125 posts, read 738,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I know many of you by name and by reading your post but for me and hopefully others I would like to know who has moved to Florida from other states in the years 2006 and 2007 and what your experiences were like.

Are you happy? unhappy?

You are the people who can provide important information to those of us who are moving to Florida someday soon, its important because you have lived somewhere else and now live in Florida and have the experience of what it was like before in another state and after you moved to Florida. Sure many others can provide great info but its you guys and gals that have been there and done that recently.

Your input is appreciated !

Moved from western suburb of Cleveland Ohio to Mulberry (yes Mulberry) in September 2007

Absolutely LOVE this town, small and quiet - but Lakeland is right up the road - everything I need within 10 miles

Timing is everything, and coming down when we did was perfect - wouldn't change a thing

We researched a 50 mile radius of Dade City (where my in-laws are) - hubby ended up working in Plant City, so this was a good spot to settle for us. We have never been happier! We love the weather (yes I know if will be brutal in the summer, we will love and apprecitate it after so many years of horrific winters in Ohio). Hubby loves going to work in shorts everyday

I think the cost of living is equal - gas prices, food prices seem to be the same, we are in a mfg home, which of course is less expensive than regular housing, so I don't know how the housing market stacks up. Utilities seem to be higher here.

We were very excited to move; left a lot of family up north to come down and be near my husbands family, but we are still excited to be here - we sit each day and appreciate where we are and what a great community we ended up in.

I used this forum daily (and still do) to get insight into the state of Florida. It was very helpful, and continues to be!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12paws42 View Post
Moved from western suburb of Cleveland Ohio to Mulberry (yes Mulberry) in September 2007

Absolutely LOVE this town, small and quiet - but Lakeland is right up the road - everything I need within 10 miles

Timing is everything, and coming down when we did was perfect - wouldn't change a thing

We researched a 50 mile radius of Dade City (where my in-laws are) - hubby ended up working in Plant City, so this was a good spot to settle for us. We have never been happier! We love the weather (yes I know if will be brutal in the summer, we will love and apprecitate it after so many years of horrific winters in Ohio). Hubby loves going to work in shorts everyday

I think the cost of living is equal - gas prices, food prices seem to be the same, we are in a mfg home, which of course is less expensive than regular housing, so I don't know how the housing market stacks up. Utilities seem to be higher here.

We were very excited to move; left a lot of family up north to come down and be near my husbands family, but we are still excited to be here - we sit each day and appreciate where we are and what a great community we ended up in.

I used this forum daily (and still do) to get insight into the state of Florida. It was very helpful, and continues to be!

Used to never pass Plant City without a stop at Buddy Freddys.

It has changed hands but for many years we ate until they shut the lights out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida