Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I read the amended bill. It targets Internet cafes that use regular computers to access gambling sites. The verbiage explicitly bans all networked computers that could be used in a game of chance. This covers all computers, iPhones, etc.

Read it. Stop embarrassing sane Floridians.
I read it and it does not at all ban all networked computers that could be used in a game of chance, it bans networked computers from being used in a game of chance. Much the same way as it is not illegal to own a knife since it could be used to kill someone but killing someone with that knife is illegal.

You also failed to explain in what way gerrymandering was involved but I don't expect any kind of intelligent answer so don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,327,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I read it and it does not at all ban all networked computers that could be used in a game of chance, it bans networked computers from being used in a game of chance. Much the same way as it is not illegal to own a knife since it could be used to kill someone but killing someone with that knife is illegal.

You also failed to explain in what way gerrymandering was involved but I don't expect any kind of intelligent answer so don't bother.
Seriously?

The law is pretty clear in expanding the definition of a slot machine to include "any machine or device or system or network of devices" which can be used in a game of skill or chance which can be activated not just by inserting money, but (here's the key verbiage) "account number, code, or other object or information."

Explain to me how that doesn't encompass all computers and smart phones?

Also, explain why the state legislature is skewed towards the GOP when the state is close to 50/50??

Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Seriously?

The law is pretty clear in expanding the definition of a slot machine to include "any machine or device or system or network of devices" which can be used in a game of skill or chance which can be activated not just by inserting money, but (here's the key verbiage) "account number, code, or other object or information."

Explain to me how that doesn't encompass all computers and smart phones?

Also, explain why the state legislature is skewed towards the GOP when the state is close to 50/50??
Here is the part of the law they are referring to.

Quote:
As used in this chapter, the term "slot machine or device" means any machine or device or system or network of devices... that is adapted for use in such a way that, upon activation... such device or system is directly or indirectly caused to operate or may be operated and if the user, whether by application of skill or by reason of any element of chance or any other outcome unpredictable by the user him or her, may....
(a) Receive or become entitled to receive any piece of money, credit, allowance, or thing of value, or any check, slug, token, or memorandum, whether of value or otherwise, which may be exchanged for any money, credit, allowance, or thing of value or which may be given in trade; or

(b) Secure additional chances or rights to use such machine, apparatus, or device, even though the device or system may be available for free play or, in addition to any element of chance or unpredictable outcome of such operation, may also sell, deliver, or present some merchandise, indication of weight, entertainment, or other thing of value. The term “slot machine or device” includes, but is not limited to, devices regulated as slot machines pursuant to chapter 551.
Now explain to me how the computer I am on now was adapted so that when I activate it I can now partake in games of chance that will give me something of value if I win. It can't, neither can my smartphone or my home computer.

And as predicted, I received no intelligent answer about your gerrymandering comment.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,221,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Saw this young woman on the subway texting ...She was as fast as a concert piano player...I have never seen human thumbs move so quickly...Her intensity reminded me of a lunatic who was totally obsessed with her phone...She was oblivious to her surroundings...I have seen the mentally ill wandering about- some tech fanatics are starting to remind me of crazy people.

Man falls onto train tracks while texting and walking

Read more: http://newsfixnow.com/2013/04/19/man...#ixzz2Yfg9ai4v

News Distribution Network - Shared Video

Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,158,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
And who votes these partisan gerrymanders into office?

Best legislature corporate money can buy. They really are bad, even on a national scale.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Here is the part of the law they are referring to.

Now explain to me how the computer I am on now was adapted so that when I activate it I can now partake in games of chance that will give me something of value if I win. It can't, neither can my smartphone or my computer.

And as predicted, I received no intelligent answer about your gerrymandering comment.
I gave you the exact verbiage used that encompasses virtually all computers. This is something even Fox News, CNN, engadet, computerworld, reason.com, and many tech blogs agrees with me on, now. I guess they're all wrong, too?

Thanks for leaving out the relevant parts of the bill, btw. Classic. Keep on being an e-warrior for the GOP. Head in the sand.

YOU are part of the problem.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I gave you the exact verbiage used that encompasses virtually all computers. This is something even Fox News, CNN, engadet, computerworld, reason.com, and many tech blogs agrees with me on, now. I guess they're all wrong, too?

Thanks for leaving out the relevant parts of the bill, btw. Classic. Keep on being an e-warrior for the GOP. Head in the sand.

YOU are part of the problem.
You did not give me the exact verbiage, you gave a snippet of it. What I posted was what came after your first sentence without me editing anything as you did. I pulled what I posted, word for word, from Techdirt.com which was linked through pcmag.com and here is what they said before the section I posted.

Quote:
But, here's the problem. The bill's definitions section is a complete mess. You can see the full text (pdf) which contains cross outs and additions, but what comes out in the end is the following:
While it may be a mess as they said, it in no way bans internet connected devices. The only difference is that I actually read the whole bill and formed my own opinion, I didn't let any websites, blogs or news sites tell me what to think.

I posted more of the bill than you did so I don't see how you figure I left out the relevant parts. I also fail to see how this is really an issue that is split down party lines except if you are someone that sees everything as split down party lines.

People that don't think for themselves are the biggest problem and you fall into that group.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
You did not give me the exact verbiage, you gave a snippet of it. What I posted was what came after your first sentence without me editing anything as you did. I pulled what I posted, word for word, from Techdirt.com which was linked through pcmag.com and here is what they said before the section I posted.

While it may be a mess as they said, it in no way bans internet connected devices. The only difference is that I actually read the whole bill and formed my own opinion, I didn't let any websites, blogs or news sites tell me what to think.

I posted more of the bill than you did so I don't see how you figure I left out the relevant parts. I also fail to see how this is really an issue that is split down party lines except if you are someone that sees everything as split down party lines.

People that don't think for themselves are the biggest problem and you fall into that group.
Yet, you continue to ignore the explicitly restrictive portion of the law that Im talking about. It is an amendment that redefines what a "slot machine" is and uses much broader terms than the original definition that you are clinging to. I guess even when it is struck down you will continue to claim otherwise. You believe what you want to believe. Reality will continue on without you.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM

443 posts, read 555,323 times
Reality passed certain people a loooong time ago.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,625,908 times
omg this state is embarassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: