Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,682 times

Advertisements

Maybe its some sort of denial, but if I lived in some cultural and geographic "mecca" as been pointed out before wouldn't you want to keep it a secret?

[edit] the title should say "transplants" not Floridians as natives tend not to do this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 AM

443 posts, read 558,627 times
I think a lot of people down here, especially transplants, are insecure and feel the need to defend their choice of locality.

I don't know... maybe deep down they don't like it, too.

Of course, then you have the subset of clueless morons with their rose-colored glasses firmly perched atop their eyeballs. Lots of them around here.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
I thought I was the only one who wondered about that.
It's got it's good and bad points like anywhere else.

So many get beyond offended if someone doesn't like the area.
Who cares???
I sure don't.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 07-11-2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,555 times
I think it's a defense mechanism. I personally love it here. I am outside constantly. If I am inside doing Anything, I consider it a waste of time, just because its inside.
I hear people always saying it sucks here, it's too hot here, it's ugly here. I just tired of the negativity, so I get defensive sometimes, as most people that enjoy Fl probably do.
Florida is Not the prettiest state, but you know what, growing up in Philly, me and friends only dream, was to someday live in a house hat wasn't attached to someone else's. for the price of row home in an Ok nieghborhood, I live In a waterfront, single family home, 4 blocks from the beach. If you would have told me when I was growing up, that someday I was going to live like this, I would have told, "you're friggin crazy. I would have to win the lottery to live like that"

I have a family member that ******* about Fl. Her complaints are too hot, too ugly, no culture, yet she's over weight and Never leaves the house, so what the hell does it matter where you live.
OK, see , now I'm getting defensive! Ha!
I got sucked right into that one!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Maybe its some sort of denial, but if I lived in some cultural and geographic "mecca" as been pointed out before wouldn't you want to keep it a secret?

[edit] the title should say "transplants" not Floridians as natives tend not to do this...
Good catch, most natives love the state, love the weather, love the nature, love the character, love the topography, love the history, but HATE what it's become, hate how the economy is dependent on tourism, and hate how all the money from the North East came in and made things un-affordable.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
this is a very good question..We made the move to Florida in 09 absolutely loved it...However there are alot of Negatives as well...We loved what it had to offer for our family we had a great experience probably one of the best out of all the places we have lived, with that said I think that Florida has changed so much that once you leave the state as we have not because we wanted too, You also sit back and realize some things and well its not always good and not always bad..For us we are deciding if it someplace we would like to go back to after our daughter graduates HS and have her attend college there as for our Son he isnt sure he wants to ever go back he is a freshman in college....As much as we loved living in South Florida Just not sure my Children will want to plant roots there and well we are very close to our kids and want to be near them...or if hubby and I would like to Retire there or somewhere else I do know we wont be staying in NC...lol

This is a great thread by the way

Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
Quote:

Because people speak badly of it. It is great, (I'm speaking of South Florida) This is where much of America comes to vacation. Why not live in a vacation mecca where the beaches have the warmest most tropical water in the continental US.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
Why not live in a vacation mecca where the beaches have the warmest most tropical water in the continental US.
Thats it right there .. the beaches, the warm weather, theme parks, kinda like living a perpetual vacation paradise, c';mon down..
Of course if after a while you get bored sitting on your butt and sweating it out on a beach, or that nice warm weather becomes nothing more than 8-9 months of unrelenting hot and humid, and theme parks become somewhat expensive and redundant, you might be telling people how great Fla. is as a way to convince yourself the dream didnt die.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Yup!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:

You can ask that question about anything related to taste. Why are people so desperate to defend the yellow color? They must be in denial(they probably think blue is prettier) because if yellow was that great, they would keep it a secret so competition for yellow items could remain low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida