Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM

73 posts, read 221,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Why do you want to ruin Florida? Move to California and you'll have everyting you want - all Democratic office holders, high taxes, high crime, high regulations, great climate.

Leave Florida alone. We like low taxes and low services.

AMEN! When will these democrats/liberals ever learn.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,097,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Too bad Florida already has more registered democrats than republicans so let's ask our selves who's fault is it that we have the government we do? Those who are conservative and stand up for what they believe in by voting, or the lazy democrats who only choose to put this state over for the blue team once every four years because we know that prez elections are the most important .

Personally I hope Florida stays the way it is. Decidedly purple. While I would love to see gay marriage and legalized weed in the Sunshine State, I don't wanna see income tax or nanny state liberalism. Being the biggest swinging state in the country, we often get the best and worst of both worlds, and I love Florida that way.
you guys need to know why the voter registration is the way it is. first off florida sense becomeing a state in 1845 has always had more regestered democrates than republicans. Reamber that florida was part of the bigoted solid democratic south. so when the civil rights movment came around and the republican party embraced the southern whites it pushed florida for presidential elections republican(unless there was a southern democrate running like carter,LBJ, or clinton) however at the state and local level the state remained solidy democratic.

But in the 80s with the rise of Reagan not only did dixie cratts vote republican for president but also at the state and federal level. With each election in the 1980s, Republicans picked up seats, and, by the mid-1980s, Republican candidates were competitive with Democrats at all levels of Florida government. Many Democrats especially in conservative North Florida, defected to the Republican Party. From 1980 to 1994, the number of Florida voters registered as Democrats increased slightly from 3,087,427 to 3,245,518, while the number of registered Republicans nearly doubled, from 1,429,645 to 2,747,074. Democrats however, continued to control the Legislature with the aid of redistricting and intrastate politics. Republicans tied Democrats in the State Senate in 1990 and in 1996 won a narrow 61-to-59 majority in State House. With each election from 1996 to 2006, the GOP maintained or increased its majorities in both houses, and, in 1998, Republican Jeb Bush was elected Governor of Florida. His overwhelming re-election in 2002 marked the first time since Reconstruction that Republicans held the Governor’s Mansion for consecutive terms. By 2004 Republicans commanded a 26-to-14 advantage in the Senate and an 83-to-37 lead in the House. They held all three Florida Cabinet positions—Attorney General, Chief Financial Officer, and Commissioner of Agriculture—one of two United States Senate seats, and 18 of 25 seats in the United States House. Even two of seven Justices on the Florida Supreme Court were now Republican appointees.

So that is the history of our state learn it so you don't sound stupid.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,097,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
ALL OF THIS!!! and rid of that stupid SYG law!!!!
NO I love that low and so does 2/3 of florida. TALLAHASSEE: Poll: Most Floridians want no changes to Stand Your Ground law - Political Currents - MiamiHerald.com

Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 PM

13,517 posts, read 7,792,855 times
Anyone who is AGAINST SYG is a RACIST.

Blacks Benefit from Florida Stand Your Ground Law at Disproportionate Rate

Old 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,654,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post

No. Just no to you.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,426,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
It would help if South Florida could become a state of its own. North Florida and some parts of Central Florida are what keep the state from really progressing. Those areas are much like South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. and having to support them financially and socially is a real drain.
Good-bye. You do know the #1 school district in the state is up here in NE Florida (and north Florida has ten of the top 10 - Top 10 FL public schools and school districts in Florida - NeighborhoodScout). Yes?

And that NE Florida has the highest median income county in the state (north Florida has 6 of the top 10 - south Florida has 3 - and central Florida has 1 - Florida Median household income, 2006-2010 by County).

What's not progressive about that?

BTW - that #1 county is my county - St. Johns County. It is attracting lots of young professionals these days - especially doctors (have you checked out the Mayo Clinic in this area recently?). Unlike Dade County (which seems to attract a lot of indigent immigrants) - or Broward/Palm Beach Counties (which seem to attract a lot of old people who we eventually have to subsidize when they wind up in nursing homes on Medicaid - Medicaid is perhaps the #1 cost in state government now - and nursing home Medicaid is the most expensive part of Medicaid spending). You see - we in north Florida have our preconceptions and prejudices too about you guys down south. And you're free to correct them if you think they're wrong.

I moved to north Florida after 20+ years in Miami. Have been in this state for 40+ years. Have traveled around it extensively for business and pleasure. And have a pretty good idea of what the state is like. Perhaps you haven't looked around Florida lately. Get out and explore - it's a pretty nice state IMO (although I am far from partial to the traffic in places like SE Florida and Orlando).

OTOH - I am old enough to remember a time when middle class people went to Jackson Memorial Hospital for great medical care. How many people do that now? I am old enough to remember when Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R) became my congresscritter after the death of Claude Pepper (D) (defeating Gerald Richman - who then claimed that "illegal Republican" voters were allowed to vote). I'm more than old enough to remember lots of things .

Times change - places change. And you apparently haven't kept up with the changes.

Anyway - to live in a somewhat wacky state like Florida - you have to have a sense of humor. I recommend reading Carl Hiaasen's most recent book (Bad Monkey) - and Tom Wolfe's too (Back to Blood). Also take 2 doses of Dave Barry before going to bed . Robyn

Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
.... When will Florida become like other educated, cultured, sophisticated states like New York, Massachusetts, California, Washington state, Maryland, etc etc.

FL needs to drop the whole "south" and "trailer park" vibe it's got going and adopt a more wordly, sophisticated one.

amirite? or amirite?
I've traveled extensively in the United States. Do you think all parts of all of these states are liberal? I remember reading after Hurricane Sandy about a place called Breezy Point. An enclave for retired cops (and perhaps firefighters too). They don't like black people - they don't like Jewish people either. If a place like that existed in my part of the world - the DOJ would be after it in a minute.

And then there is the Boston metro area - where I lived when I was young (and a student). Boy - those southies there didn't much like black people either.

In Washington - I've only been there as a tourist. Once you get out of Seattle or similar places - well they're "rednecks" with northern accents IMO.

Maryland - all that comes to mind is "The Wire" . It's a TV show - and I don't know how accurate it was. Robyn

Old 07-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
...With each election from 1996 to 2006, the GOP maintained or increased its majorities in both houses, and, in 1998, Republican Jeb Bush was elected Governor of Florida. His overwhelming re-election in 2002 marked the first time since Reconstruction that Republicans held the Governor’s Mansion for consecutive terms...
IMHO - I don't think political ideology had much to do with Bush's re-election (or that it has much to do with ideology when it comes to electing most state/local politicians). He handled the horrible hurricane years pretty well (for most people - perhaps not all). Kind of like mayors in areas where it snows can win or lose re-election based on how they deal with major snow storms. "Trains running on time" kind of stuff. Had Bush really screwed up the bad hurricane years - he would have been toast IMO.

I think one thing you've left out of your history is that of "yellow dog Democrats" in Florida. They're an almost extinct breed now - but we still have some up here in north Florida. Robyn

Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM

663 posts, read 1,140,958 times
I grew in Philly. I would consider it a fairly liberal city. There were some positive things about the city, but it doesn't even compare to Florida. I'm living the dream here.
I know, those stupid conservatives, wanting you to work for what you have!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I grew in Philly. I would consider it a fairly liberal city. There were some positive things about the city, but it doesn't even compare to Florida. I'm living the dream here.
I know, those stupid conservatives, wanting you to work for what you have!
I grew up in Cherry Hill NJ and my first job was in the DA's office in Philadelphia when Frank Rizzo was the police commissioner.

Also - I clerked for a big liberal law firm in Philadelphia that had clerk's lunches at a place where women weren't welcome (note that I am a woman and was asked to have a sandwich at my desk those days).

Lots of liberal people in Philadelphia then <rolling eyes>. I left in 1973 - and never looked back . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida