Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 PM

26 posts, read 33,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
i just want to know where your friend goes to eat in Sunrise, sometimes it feels like an endless search for good Chinese food in Florida, heck from what i have read here a lot of us would like the name of that restaurant.
its called Toa Toa and it is in a strip mall with a good number of asian businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Most Cubans of Chinese descent live in Miami where most Cubans live. Actually my aunt was telling me a story of a Cuban friend she has who's grandmother came from China long ago and they found her grandma's sister in Virginia via the internet. Her poor grandma did not recognise the sister. She went to Cuba, her sister went to Virginia.

There's also a good amount of Chinese and Japanese Peruvians in Miami. How much their culture is tied to Asia, I do not know, but they're very Hispanic in culture as you would expect.

Cubans in South Florida don't really racial segregate so there's not gonna be "Chinese Cuban part of town" you will find the Chinese Cubans living with Afro-Cubans and Euro-Cubans alike. They're probably more likely to live in a general Hispanic area than a general non-Hispanic Asian area.
Hmm.. makes sense. In Falls, which is near Kendall, there is a sizeable Chinese Jamaican Population, thats why I was wondering.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Is there not an actual chinatown in florida? Most major states have a version of a China Town.

The cuban or peruvian chinese might give a small clue, since the Chinese, no matter how it is mixed with other countries, maintain their language and customs.

There is a community near Tampa, but cant think of the name. Or so, i have heard.
Sunrise Florida and Lauderdale Lakes have lots of Chinese businesses, so as North Miami Beach, and there is a growing population of Chinese people in Weston. Many Chinese families are preferring Weston because of its good schools.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:31 PM

15 posts, read 16,546 times
Default No Chinese in Port Charlotte?

I was plan to move to Port Charlotte few months ago, I gave up my plan after a dinner at a Japanese restaurant in Port Charlotte. I feel no good Asian restaurant in Port Charlotte and hard to shop for Chinese grocery locally.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 PM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Orlando does have the biggest general asian population in my opinion, but compared to cities on the West Coast or NE, not so much in comparison.
Orlando's Asian population is overwhelmingly Vietnamese as there's very few Chinese living here.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:58 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando's Asian population is overwhelmingly Vietnamese as there's very few Chinese living here.

For Florida Orlando still has the most Chinese culture things though. My GF is from Hong Kong and she agrees too.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:36 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Why does Florida have so few Chinese, when Houston has so many? Isn't there just as much Chinese investment in Miami as there is in Houston? Besides, Houston has the same climate as Florida.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:04 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Why does Florida have so few Chinese, when Houston has so many? Isn't there just as much Chinese investment in Miami as there is in Houston? Besides, Houston has the same climate as Florida.
The main reason is the economy. Houston has a vibrant global economy. Florida doesn’t have this type of economy on top of that flights to Asia involve multiple connections usually, the Chinese population is small, it’s on the East Coast, etc. With that being said, there are more and more Chinese moving to Florida, especially Orlando. My GF is a realtor and works with some Chinese platforms. However, most of them are either Chinese moving from California or Chinese investors buying short term rental properties around Disney. Orlando’s Chinese population is growing a lot though, especially in the past two years

Old 12-30-2018, 07:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwl8521 View Post
A relative of mind is coming here (legally) from China and it might be nice to pick a major city in Florida that has a big Chinese population. Any thoughts?

I have lived in San Francisco for half my life and it would be foolish to expect that same concentration anywhere else. On the flip side, I now live in Baltimore where there are so few asians that the restaurants lump Korean/Japanese/Chinese food into the same restaurant. It's clear that many people (white or asian) eat at these places just from the lack of options. To me that, is gross and ridiculous.

I have to drive an hour to Ellicott City, Washington DC, or Rockville or Silver Spring to get to an area where there is a great selection. I'd like to avoid repeating that in Florida if possible.

EDIT: Just so we're clear, PF Changs doesn't *quite* count as what I'm looking for.
Was just in Gainesville - BOOMING....and lots of Asians moving in and living there. My assumption is many are in the Medical Field, but apparently it's a thing there.....

Good luck.....can't say anything about the eateries.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hmm, I think there is a decent number of Chinese in Orlando. At least relative to the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
For Florida Orlando still has the most Chinese culture things though. My GF is from Hong Kong and she agrees too.
Hmm, not sure it would be more than Miami. How do you define "Chinese culture things?" Orlando is certainly not far behind South FL, imo, which says something considering the size difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
It's been that way historically. Cannot pinpoint exactly why...it seems the Chinese population in Houston boomed in the 60s and 70s. Not sure what the cause would have been. You might be correct on the investment being pretty equal but Houston's base has been quite large for quite a long time now. The Yao Ming/Houston Rockets factor cannot be ignored either...it has catapulted things even further over the last two decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida