Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:56 AM

26,805 posts, read 43,267,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Was just in Gainesville - BOOMING....and lots of Asians moving in and living there. My assumption is many are in the Medical Field, but apparently it's a thing there.....

Good luck.....can't say anything about the eateries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
For Florida Orlando still has the most Chinese culture things though. My GF is from Hong Kong and she agrees too.
Apparently the Gainesville part is accurate according to census numbers, however the Orlando being heavier in "culture things" shouldn't bear out since the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area has a higher Chinese population density (Orlando wasn't even on the list).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 01:37 AM

24,322 posts, read 26,692,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Apparently the Gainesville part is accurate according to census numbers, however the Orlando being heavier in "culture things" shouldn't bear out since the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area has a higher Chinese population density (Orlando wasn't even on the list).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations
No offense but I find it funny a White person is telling me an Asian person what city has more Asian culture lol.

How many hot pot places are there?
How many dim sum places are there?
How many boba tea places are there?
How many Chinese grocery stores are there?

South Florida is like Thai/Japanese/Chinese all in one, it just tastes like fake crap, nothing authentic. I used to live there too. I myself identify as Asian though I am part White. My gf is 100% Chinese. I'm also a foodie, so you can use wiki as your source for all information, but as Asians (Korean & Chinese) we can tell you Orlando has the most Chinese and Asian culture in Florida. Maybe it's because of all the tourists in Orlando, there is demand from Chinese and Asian tourists. I know when I go to places like RoyalTea or Nine Spices Hot Pot, it's mostly Chinese speaking customers though.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:59 AM

26,805 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
No offense but I find it funny a White person is telling me an Asian person what city has more Asian culture lol.

South Florida is like Thai/Japanese/Chinese all in one, it just tastes like fake crap, nothing authentic. I used to live there too. I myself identify as Asian though I am part White. My gf is 100% Chinese. I'm also a foodie, so you can use wiki as your source for all information, but as Asians (Korean & Chinese) we can tell you Orlando has the most Chinese and Asian culture in Florida. Maybe it's because of all the tourists in Orlando, there is demand from Chinese and Asian tourists. I know when I go to places like RoyalTea or Nine Spices Hot Pot, it's mostly Chinese speaking customers though.
Most often our personal take on things isn't as accurate as the overall reality, despite how strident the belief of being absolutely "right". So what you're saying is that despite having significantly higher population numbers for whatever reason the Chinese population of South Florida has opted out of traditional culture while in Orlando the smaller population has more visibly embraced it? That's quite the societal phenomenon, or yet another addition to your somewhat lengthy list of "everything is better in Orlando because it's MY favorite place to live".

Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 AM

7,773 posts, read 10,059,682 times
Quote:

If that's how you define it then for sure it is resoundingly in favor of South Florida. I like Orlando and the fact that it has several decent clusters of good Asian establishments makes it much easier to enjoy and recognize than South Florida, but that said South FL has way more spread throughout the entire metro. I speak primarily of Chinese since, if you have seen me write about this a lot you will know that my wife and I are both Chinese and we quite literally travel around the world eating Chinese cuisine everywhere we go.

It is hard to estimate the number because we're talking quite a lot in a very large area, so I'll offer my best guess. The numbers are way higher than I can personally attest to.

Hot Pot? I eat at 3 places that are all pretty decent. Probably about 25 throughout south FL.

Dim Sum? There are about 20+ places within 10 miles of me. Probably like 80 throughout the metro. We only eat at about 5 of them, which our families deem worthy, and they are all farther away from us.

Boba tea? I actually just posted about this in another thread. I don't think Boba tea means anything anymore cause it is completely mainstream and I've been to many boba tea shops run by non-Asians. In any case most customers at any of them are not Asian. But, there should be 100+ stores and restaurants where you can get boba/bubble tea.

Chinese groceries is tricky cause there is a lot of variation in size and offerings so what makes one place count as a "Chinese grocery?" There's one place called food town that I consider to be an ethnic grocery, but they have a full-blown Chinese bakery inside and a lot of Chinese foods/spices...as well as bubble tea. Yet more than half of the store is hispanic-influenced. Anyway, if you do count that place, then there are three that we regularly shop at. I have probably personally been to six or seven, and I would guess there are around 15 stores. Just Chinese, not Asian in general.

I've told this anecdote before but I'll share it again...Chinese New Year in 2017 (I think that was the year) we went to a private celebration at some big Chinese buffet restaurant and my wife and I were SHOCKED that it was completely packed with Longdu people (which is what she is). Close to 500 people all from her local village in China, speaking their village dialect. It was pretty surreal...as if the entire village (ok there are now several million people around the world from her "village") was dropped into this one place in Miami. Anyway, that's either an indication of how large the overall Chinese population is in Miami or how many Chinese people travel through Miami, that one village can be so well-represented.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 AM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,878 times
Not sure about the other places but Orlando has some authentic Chinese places such as Hong Kong Alley, Lam's Garden and Peter's Bistro. I've eaten at all of them. Dim sum is really good at Lam's and Peter's. It's the style where the food carts come out to you and they punch your card at the table with how much the dish is. I like dim sum but I do not like traditional Chinese food for dinner. I'm more of a fan of the Americanized Chinese food.

I'm from Hong Kong, I am somewhat developed with what I prefer for Chinese.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Most often our personal take on things isn't as accurate as the overall reality, despite how strident the belief of being absolutely "right". So what you're saying is that despite having significantly higher population numbers for whatever reason the Chinese population of South Florida has opted out of traditional culture while in Orlando the smaller population has more visibly embraced it? That's quite the societal phenomenon, or yet another addition to your somewhat lengthy list of "everything is better in Orlando because it's MY favorite place to live".
Yes Kyle I’m sure you know more about our culture than than my gf and I lol. Like I said, maybe because of all the tourists it has made Orlando more of an exception to florida’s lack of authentic Asian culture. Orlando still lacks variety in authentic places, but it is by far the best in Florida. I’d probably live in Miami if it had the same level of Asian culture as Orlando.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 01-01-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM

471 posts, read 541,176 times
I'm looking for good authentic Peking Duck and have given up the search in Tampa area because I'm 99% certain it does not exist here - at least not the good authentic kind after having hit up all the well known Chinese restaurants around here.
I know where the best legit one in DC area and Dallas where I used to live and will get some there whenever I visit. I'll be in Orlando/Miami area in spring break so would be great if I could make an outing with the family to get some really really good authentic Peking Duck then...if it exists. Any Peking Duck snobs out there?

Old 01-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I'm looking for good authentic Peking Duck and have given up the search in Tampa area because I'm 99% certain it does not exist here - at least not the good authentic kind after having hit up all the well known Chinese restaurants around here.
I know where the best legit one in DC area and Dallas where I used to live and will get some there whenever I visit. I'll be in Orlando/Miami area in spring break so would be great if I could make an outing with the family to get some really really good authentic Peking Duck then...if it exists. Any Peking Duck snobs out there?

As you know Florida lacks a lot of authentic Chinese specialties.

You can try Peking Duck at Lam's Garden or Peter's Kitchen both are in Orlando.

If you're interested in other types of Chinese food let me know. Orlando has a good hot pot scene now such as Top Top Hot Pot. Orlando even has an authentic Sichuan cuisine place called Taste of Chengdu.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:19 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,903,278 times
If Florida wants more Chinese/Asians, one sure fire way to do it is to get some top-notch school districts. Then Chinese/Asians will come in droves.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 AM

Taste of Chengdu in Orlando has amazing Northern Chinese food. It’s so good and authentic, one of the best I’ve had anywhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida