Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM

291 posts, read 504,825 times

Advertisements

Currently doing my undergrad at UCF, and I WAS thinking of completing my graduate degree here also, but the program offered at UF seems to be a lot better (claiming their job placement rate is virtually 100% post graduation) and that's always nice to hear, especially in this economy. Anyway, I love Orlando and I'm happy with where I'm at right now but it would suck to graduate with a Masters and not be able to find a job. Quite honestly not too fond of the idea of moving to Gainesville, especially when I don't know anyone there, so it'll be like starting from scratch again.

Should I go for it anyway? :/

BTW, the two degrees are virtually the same, I'm just thinking UF might offer more opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 AM

27,008 posts, read 43,601,931 times
UF is a nationally-ranked university, UCF is not. If UF is showing 100% job placement for graduates of that program, it would seem a no-brainer to me. Orlando doesn't have the best track record for college graduates as many UCF graduates can probably attest. Gainesville is a good place to attend school, and you're going to meet/make friends with a good number of people when you move there. Beyond that anyplace that has a Trader Joe's is worth a look in my opinion.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 PM

291 posts, read 504,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
UF is a nationally-ranked university, UCF is not. If UF is showing 100% job placement for graduates of that program, it would seem a no-brainer to me. Orlando doesn't have the best track record for college graduates as many UCF graduates can probably attest. Gainesville is a good place to attend school, and you're going to meet/make friends with a good number of people when you move there. Beyond that anyplace that has a Trader Joe's is worth a look in my opinion.
Thanks for the input Will definitely apply and try to get into UF's graduate program. I just love how confident they are of their job placement rates while UCF doesn't mention job placement ANYWHERE on their website. The design of the program interests me more also -- AND they have a paid internship AND the tuition is cheaper. I really have no reason to not try to get into UF's grad school at this point. I just hate moving to a new place not knowing a single person! Well, I do know a few from HS but haven't spoken to them in years But if I could do it at 18, I have no excuse for not being able to do it again now!

Any who, time to buckle down for the GRE. Feel like it's high school all over again.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,127,769 times
Gainesville is a great city. I dont know anyone who doesnt like it... You will enjoy it.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,127,769 times
I would say you should apply to FSU, since that is my alma mater, and i am attending FSU for my Graduate degree now.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,584,155 times
Do not fall for the 100% job placement marketing ploy, research the career opportunities and in some instances many of those won't be in Florida.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 PM

27,008 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Do not fall for the 100% job placement marketing ploy, research the career opportunities and in some instances many of those won't be in Florida.
True, but a job is a job and more than likely the salaries are a good bit higher elsewhere.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,500,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
Thanks for the input Will definitely apply and try to get into UF's graduate program. I just love how confident they are of their job placement rates while UCF doesn't mention job placement ANYWHERE on their website. The design of the program interests me more also -- AND they have a paid internship AND the tuition is cheaper. I really have no reason to not try to get into UF's grad school at this point. I just hate moving to a new place not knowing a single person! Well, I do know a few from HS but haven't spoken to them in years But if I could do it at 18, I have no excuse for not being able to do it again now!

Any who, time to buckle down for the GRE. Feel like it's high school all over again.
UCF is charging more than UF for the same masters degree?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 PM

591 posts, read 817,453 times
UCF is a glorified community college whereas UF is a nationally-ranked university. UF is older and more prestigious than UCF, and it has much more name recognition. As an aside, UCF is virtually unheard of outside of Florida. By all means, go to UF.

Last August, I transferred to the U of A and moved to Tucson sight unseen. I had never even visited Arizona before coming out here, let alone my campus or apartment complex. Honestly, it turned out to be the best decision of my life. I didn't know a single soul in AZ before coming out here, and I've made a ton of friends here in the past year. However, making friends in Arizona is much easier than in Florida, at least IMO.

Don't worry about not knowing anyone in Gainesville--that should be the least of your concerns, as your future is much more important. I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends while in graduate school, especially if you're friendly and outgoing like me. UF is much less of a commuter school than UCF, so it will be easier to make friends, generally speaking. However, rankings, name recognition, prestige, and career placement are much more important than making friends. Just remember that.

By the way, what type of graduate degree do you intend to earn?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,393,303 times
The name on the sheepskin is often a help. Especially if there is competition for jobs in the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida