Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM

31 posts, read 58,620 times

Advertisements

Terrible drivers? Yes! But not the elderly, usually I am tailgated by women, not young teens or the elderly. We encountered terrible drivers up north in NJ as well, awful with the blinker, texting while driving, etc., but the tailgaters are way worse here, and I drive five over the limit, don't hang in the left lane, etc. my only revenge is watching all the rear end accidents happen on four. Been hit twice since we've been here, once in a gas station, lol, both were texters, both had great insurance. My son was recently hit, the drivers insurance paid for his physical therapy, we are thinking of suing him, because his coverage was terrible, our attorney says our cut will be a couple thousand and since the driver got a ticket, was careless, and caused injury we are thinking about it, the attorney will get 30 percent, but sometimes it is worth it, you can't fix stupid, but you can take their cash !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Florida is terrible for driving because we have a large number of tourists and elderly, both of whom do not know or forgot how to drive.

Tourists cross over 2 or 3 lanes to get off an exit before passing it, elderly go 40 mph on the interstate. Both together are a disaster.
The majority of bad drivers I see are not elderly and they have Florida plates.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Bad driving knows no age.

More than once I've seen elderly plow through cars in parking lots because they were in a rush. Literally totaled a bunch of cars..Then look around to see if there were any witnesses.. I've stepped forward every time to make sure they knew they weren't going to get away with it... They treat stops signs like they're optional.

How often do we read about an elderly driver hitting the gas instead of the breaks and plowing through a store front? It's constant... then think of all the meds they're on?
I think the worst are the young going 20 miles and more over the limit and the elderly who feel entitled to do whatever they want.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 PM

623 posts, read 965,996 times
I see more people driving and texting in Florida than anywhere else that I have lived

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieheretoflorida View Post
Terrible drivers? Yes! But not the elderly, usually I am tailgated by women, not young teens or the elderly. We encountered terrible drivers up north in NJ as well, awful with the blinker, texting while driving, etc., but the tailgaters are way worse here, and I drive five over the limit, don't hang in the left lane, etc. my only revenge is watching all the rear end accidents happen on four. Been hit twice since we've been here, once in a gas station, lol, both were texters, both had great insurance. My son was recently hit, the drivers insurance paid for his physical therapy, we are thinking of suing him, because his coverage was terrible, our attorney says our cut will be a couple thousand and since the driver got a ticket, was careless, and caused injury we are thinking about it, the attorney will get 30 percent, but sometimes it is worth it, you can't fix stupid, but you can take their cash !
Good luck suing for damages, Florida is a high insurance fraud state....and a lot of people pull the neck brace and crutch stunt all the time here, reason we pay so much for car insurance. A friend of mine slid on a oil slick at a stop light in his Honda Accord and rear ended a guy sitting in a 7 Series BMW, was a light tap no real damage, the guy said he was okay and after the cops came did not change his story, then a week later my friend got a letter from a lawyer saying his client received neck and back damages and is in therapy....my friend called his insurance company who took care of it and as it turns out the guy he hit was driving a car that was not his and the owner would not show it to the insurance claim adjuster so they threw out the case and he got nothing.

My friend now has a rear and forward facing dash cam that records HD video to a SD card. Like this, very common in Russia due to all the fraud and crooks:

Dash Camera - SmartCam HD 2 | Your Video Eyewitness

Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
we are thinking of suing him, because his coverage was terrible
If he doesn't have good insurance.. exactly where/how are you expecting to extort money from him?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM

31 posts, read 58,620 times
He shouldn't have been texting, he should have not plowed into three cars, and just because someone doesn't have a lot of insurance does not mean they don't have a lot of money . We've never sued before, that's a tough pill to swallow, suing someone, but, Clark Howard was just talking about this, hit with a texter? Uninsured? Sue them, at the very least, they have a judgement, maybe they can't buy a home, maybe they'll not do it to someone else. But again, that's still hard for us, we have not been the sue type people, and, we've never been sued, seems like a crappy thing to do.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
He shouldn't have been texting, he should have not plowed into three cars, and just because someone doesn't have a lot of insurance does not mean they don't have a lot of money . We've never sued before, that's a tough pill to swallow, suing someone, but, Clark Howard was just talking about this, hit with a texter? Uninsured? Sue them, at the very least, they have a judgement, maybe they can't buy a home, maybe they'll not do it to someone else. But again, that's still hard for us, we have not been the sue type people, and, we've never been sued, seems like a crappy thing to do.
Tough call. I just always think about if I've ever done anything stupid, and how I would want to be treated.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Florida is terrible for driving because we have a large number of tourists and elderly, both of whom do not know or forgot how to drive.

Tourists cross over 2 or 3 lanes to get off an exit before passing it, elderly go 40 mph on the interstate. Both together are a disaster.
I agree with others who say it's neither the elderly or tourists responsible for a vast majority of the bad driving, it's across the board in terms of demographics though will say it's mostly men in my opinion....typically via excessive speeding, tailgating, driving at or below the speed limit in the left lane, not yielding right of way, etc......and typically driving pickup trucks, large SUVs, Mustangs/Camaros or for some odd reason Volkswagen owners who I find overtly aggressive. I also agree it doesn't become as evident until one reaches Orlando and points south, and not as evident in the Tampa Bay area in my opinion. Perhaps it's the former Northeast US resident drivers since they tend more toward South Florida and Orlando?

Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
alot of them are douchebags with ego complexes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida