U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:16 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,629,609 times

Advertisements

I love the culture here !!
I suppose its all what your idea of culture is.
To me, there was no culture in Vermont, where I moved from.
But, Vermonters will say theres lots of culture .....hunting, getting drunk,
fishing, drinking, riding ATV's, drinking.....etc.
Here, there are all different types of people, music, art etc...
There is always something to do very close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 03:19 PM

15,213 posts, read 31,183,846 times
Orphaned post
Debi, living in Plant City you are an easy drive to downtown Lakeland. Do you ever see any shows at the Lakeland Center or the restored Polk Theater movie palace? Tonight my hubby and I are going to the Polk (that place is GORGEOUS) to see Cab Calloway's orchestra. We also have subscribed to the Broadway season (6 performances) at the Lakeland Center. There is also a top rated art museum here, with occasional concerts. Lots of great cultural stuff to do here. Come check it out some time!

Last edited by sunrico90; 11-12-2007 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM

34 posts, read 21,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
I love the culture here !!
I suppose its all what your idea of culture is.
To me, there was no culture in Vermont, where I moved from.
But, Vermonters will say theres lots of culture .....hunting, getting drunk,
fishing, drinking, riding ATV's, drinking.....etc.
Here, there are all different types of people, music, art etc...
There is always something to do very close by.

damn, vermont sounds awesome!!! sounds a little like northern fla!!! that rocks!!! except i dont really like getting drunk.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,268,422 times
Lightbulb Stay on topic

How does one define culture? It keeps coming up in so many posts that Florida has none. I just want to know what it is I'm missing.

That is the question... post

Link: Office of Cultural & Historical Preservation

Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 PM

132 posts, read 426,903 times
gypsychic, we do enjoy some of lakelands cultural events and do enjoy them. I think that is the kind of events I am speaking of when I say I would like to have more cultural events. I love going to the concerts at Carpenters Home Church (YIKES, not called that any more, I dont think) and we love milling around the park there. I wish they would do more in that park. That would be a wonderful cultural experience. They do a lot of craft shows etc, but would be nice to have bands etc. Maybe shakespeare in the park! That would be great! and a great park to do that in! So, those are the kind of cultural experiences I think are a little lacking here. just my opinion.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,629,609 times
Theres a park on A1A in Jupiter that does Shakespeare
in the park for a few months every year.
We had artists and all types of food over the weekend
in Juno. They blocked of A1A and had this cool little fair
over the weekend. There is folk guitr society close
by and book discussions at the Twp. Building.
Lots to do here !

Old 11-13-2007, 04:31 AM

64 posts, read 209,917 times
I think Sarasota is a cultural city. You may want to check the following link.
Sarasota, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2007, 05:43 AM

6,636 posts, read 10,688,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Every place has a culture, culture is basically a way of life or the rules, regulations and traditions which govern the way a group of people live.
That's a pretty good definition. If we take the Latin root - really the same in English - it has to do with cultivation, so how humans cultivate social life, how they organize time, space, production, consumption, reproduction, art and leisure activities, etc.

In this sense, it is indeed a wide-ranging term, and the diverse postings in this thread reflect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I think when people say Florida has no culture they are speaking more to the fact that Florida doesn't have things like top notch museums and more "high society" sort of things.
The Greek word for culture is "politismos", i.e. what comes from the city, as opposed to the country bumpkins that work the fields.

I think when people say Florida has no culture, they may be referring lack of education to start with, then those arts and leisure activities that one associates with a big city, a certain degree of diversity, tolerance, knowledge of world, country, state, and local events, the ability to connect them, etc.

In many cases, however, it may be sour grapes, a way to denigrate one's present situation to help justify moving somewhere else, I don't know.

Taking Florida as a whole, I don't think it has more or less culture on average, in the wide or more narrow sense of the term, than any other state in the US, perhaps less than some more than others.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
That's a pretty good definition. If we take the Latin root - really the same in English - it has to do with cultivation, so how humans cultivate social life, how they organize time, space, production, consumption, reproduction, art and leisure activities, etc.

In this sense, it is indeed a wide-ranging term, and the diverse postings in this thread reflect that.

The Greek word for culture is "politismos", i.e. what comes from the city, as opposed to the country bumpkins that work the fields.

I think when people say Florida has no culture, they may be referring lack of education to start with, then those arts and leisure activities that one associates with a big city, a certain degree of diversity, tolerance, knowledge of world, country, state, and local events, the ability to connect them, etc.

In many cases, however, it may be sour grapes, a way to denigrate one's present situation to help justify moving somewhere else, I don't know.

Taking Florida as a whole, I don't think it has more or less culture on average, in the wide or more narrow sense of the term, than any other state in the US, perhaps less than some more than others.
I agree with everything you said minus the last paragraph. Florida has nothing on New York, Mass., and some older cities. With that said people should stop hating on florida, if you hate it then make a plan to leave and if you love it then live it up.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 AM

64 posts, read 209,917 times
Default No Culture ????

I don't know, but it seems to me like ....

If the major portion of Florida's total population is comprised of transplants, then, that itself is a pretty unique culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida