U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 AM

6,549 posts, read 10,620,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I agree with everything you said minus the last paragraph. Florida has nothing on New York, Mass., and some older cities. With that said people should stop hating on Florida, if you hate it then make a plan to leave and if you love it then live it up.
Well, if you mean politismos, certainly Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, for example, are not nearly as deep, at least at this point in history, as Boston, New York, Washington, for example.

If you mean cultura, well, Florida has quite a unique combination of climate, geography and human history that give it significant depth of cultura and in that sense the last paragraph stands, even in mathematical terms.

I think that most of those who express some kind of hatred towards Florida are expressing frustration at the fact that the financial balance, and to a lesser extent the social balance, for most families that prevailed for several decades has been upset, probably irretrievably, in the last five or ten years, and of those, indeed, a significant portion made, has made, or is making plans to leave for what they perceive as greener pastures. Some stay hoping the balance will be restored or because they see no better other alternative, others adjust and carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:06 AM

6,985 posts, read 15,450,060 times
Culture is manifested in music, literature, painting and sculpture, theater and film.[1] Although some people identify culture in terms of consumption and consumer goods (as in high culture, low culture, folk culture, or popular culture)[2], anthropologists understand "culture" to refer not only to consumption goods, but to the general processes which produce such goods and give them meaning, and to the social relationships and practices in which such objects and processes become embedded. For them, culture thus includes technology, art, science, as well as moral systems.

link

In this ^ since nope, doesn't compare.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 AM

625 posts, read 897,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
HI Bob...
If I may, when I (just speaking for myself here) talk about lack of culture, what I am missing is a variety of theater events, the Rocketts are here now, and I plan on going and have gone to a few plays, but all in all there is not a lot for me to choose from. I think a lot of emphasis has been put on Disney and the surrounding area there, and I guess living here, we have done that so many times, its old. I just wish there was a more active and booming downtown..with many theaters and variety of restaurants etc. Evening shopping in a downtown enviroment..not just the maul (yes, thats how I spell it),,,but again, this is just from my perspective, from what I would like...just me....my opinion....a bigger variety, with more things to do downtown etc....thanks...
What you're talking about is one particular culture (snobbish urban). All societies have a culture. What people really mean when they say that Florida has no culture is that they don't like Florida's culture.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 AM

132 posts, read 425,923 times
Snobbish urban! don't think that pertains to me...living in plant city, cows all around me, driving a dually pickup truck...but okay! I guess I just mean a good variety of good fun that doesnt involve golf, gambling, etc...theater, science, community based gel forming bonds, etc...I really dont consider myself a snob, though I have met many! but, again, just my opinion!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 AM

625 posts, read 897,615 times
Quote:
Snobbish urban! don't think that pertains to me...living in plant city, cows all around me, driving a dually pickup truck...but okay! I guess I just mean a good variety of good fun that doesnt involve golf, gambling, etc...theater, science, community based gel forming bonds, etc...I really dont consider myself a snob, though I have met many! but, again, just my opinion!
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were a snob. I enjoy many of the same activities. It's just that some of those activities are generally perceived to be snobbish (theater, etc).

Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM

I understand...but they sure should not be perceived as that...I think up north it is considered part of every day life....so many there just have the theater as a routine thing...I think this kind of exposure to the arts etc...is so necessary! especially in this video playing, tv watching dont socialize society we are in....i just miss mingling...LOL...

Old 11-13-2007, 09:33 AM

428 posts, read 1,320,633 times
Quote:
Snobbish urban! don't think that pertains to me...living in plant city, cows all around me, driving a dually pickup truck...!

Well that's why there's no culture- you're in the sticks!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 AM

548 posts, read 389,593 times
If we are defining culture as museums, theater, and things like that, the vast majority of people do not participate. We lived in New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia and Boston through the years. Our neighborhoods were affluent yet very low percentage of people went to museums and the theater.

Those areas are very denseley populated, so naturally there are more museums and theater opportunities. When we lived in NY, many of the Broadway visitors were tourists.

Florida has cultural opportunities if one wants them. Broadway shows come to the Carnival Center in Miami. Sarasota has a vibrant arts scene. Pensacola has an amazing and active symphony orchestra. There are museums and nature preserves all over the state.

But if you are in rural NY, you won't be attending many cultural events. Same with parts of Florida.

I would need to see statistics that show year round residents of Florida attend less cultural events, on a per capita basis, than natives in other parts of the country.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,746,388 times
Can someone explain to me what is so great about museums, theater and the like? I don't like the idea of spending 20.00 to look at some junk laid around an almost empty room. Better yet to hit a rummage sale or make your own "art". As for theater, who wants to spend 100.00 or more to sit in front of some stage and watch a show, all the while wondering if your car is being broken into. You could just live in a college town and go to the much cheaper student shows. Who has time for cultural events in a city, you work 9-5 and get home by 7 or 8 if lucky, then are too tired to go anywhere. I would rather do something at home with friends or a church group, and it's a lot cheaper and more fun. "Culture" is just an excuse for frustrated city people with no room to breathe, to justify their life and put down the "country bumpkins".

Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 AM

Angler...YOU AINT KIDDIN' I'M IN THE STICKS...BOY!! STICKS REDEFINED HERE...LOL...but am willing to drive...no, I have to drive, to get anywhere and do anything fun!! Sticks....ha...boy you have no idea what an understatement that is!~!!! help!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida