U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,406,486 times

Advertisements

How does one define culture? It keeps coming up in so many posts that Florida has none. I just want to know what it is I'm missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 10:04 AM

34 posts, read 21,604 times
not sure, macguy. is it ppl of all different nationalitites getting along? or just a mix of a bunch of different cultures? like the united nations or something?

in orlando, we definitely have a large number of ppl who dont want to assimilate, so maybe that is what ppl are complaining about. it certainly gets on my nerves.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 AM

132 posts, read 426,836 times
HI Bob...
If I may, when I (just speaking for myself here) talk about lack of culture, what I am missing is a variety of theater events, the Rocketts are here now, and I plan on going and have gone to a few plays, but all in all there is not a lot for me to choose from. I think a lot of emphasis has been put on Disney and the surrounding area there, and I guess living here, we have done that so many times, its old. I just wish there was a more active and booming downtown..with many theaters and variety of restaurants etc. Evening shopping in a downtown enviroment..not just the maul (yes, thats how I spell it),,,but again, this is just from my perspective, from what I would like...just me....my opinion....a bigger variety, with more things to do downtown etc....thanks...

Old 11-12-2007, 10:20 AM

34 posts, read 21,604 times
maul... hahaha. i know what you mean debbie

Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,349,108 times
Florida has lost its culture. Old Florida was all about diversity. Cattle and groves covered most of the land. sugar covered must of the far south. But even with the diversity the culture was about the same . History in florida has changed and the culture lost. Today its all about realestate and tell them what they need to hear. Most of the people here now don't have a clue about living in the swamp. This is a good link about Florida history.

Facts - Office of Cultural & Historical Programs

Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM

2,209 posts, read 6,916,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
How does one define culture? It keeps coming up in so many posts that Florida has none. I just want to know what it is I'm missing.

The posts you are referring to are pathetic. It's one reason why I don't spend much time here. Although I will admit that when I see people from Ohio whining and snivelling about the lack of culture in Fla, it does make me laugh.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,488,857 times
Every place has a culture, culture is basically a way of life or the rules, regulations and traditions which govern the way a group of people live. I think when people say florida has no culture they are speaking more to the fact that Florida doesn't have things like top notch museums and more "high society" sort of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post

Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,839,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
By the way Macguy, I STILL get the pop up telling me that I have to "spread it around" before giving it to you again

I gave you a positive feedback a week or more ago and also gave some other positives out so I don't understand why I couldn't "give it to you" again.
I'll help you out with this one. It's a really popular question.

You can only give rep to 15 people in a 24 hr period and then you need to give to 20 people before you can give to that other person again. So, you can't rep macguy until you've gone through 20 others first.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM

428 posts, read 1,324,056 times
For high culture: St. Petersburg has the Dali Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts (one of the better standing collections outside of the Ringling Museum in the state), Mahaffey Theater with the Florida Orchestra, free symphonic concerts in the park, the American Stage, the Little Theater, the Broadway series at Mahaffey, a vibrant arts scene, local band "scene". Tampa has the Perforrming Arts Center, the Tampa Museum of art, local arts scene (though fragmented more than St. Pete's)

For ethnic culture: Tampa- Cuban/Italian/Spanish- uniquely Tampan; Tarpon Springs- Greek

Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,916,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I'll help you out with this one. It's a really popular question.

You can only give rep to 15 people in a 24 hr period and then you need to give to 20 people before you can give to that other person again. So, you can't rep macguy until you've gone through 20 others first.
Thank you. That's another one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida