Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
This is what we have been discussing with our son. We know a few professionals who are attending FAU and FIU whom will be leaving Florida after graduation. We would like him to attend a great school in NY as it has the degree program and Accredited for what he wants to do, however he doesn't want to go back to NY..He doesn't want to plant roots in NC either...Im just afraid that he will have higher expectations of florida than what will actually be..I cant DM you to talk further...LOL
I turned off that feature because some psychos were sending too much fan mail. I think you have to weigh out the future.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Isn't something missing there?
Fan club does not like my unorthodox use of ellipses......must be those bath salts kicking in.......dot..dot..dot..

Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Fan club does not like my unorthodox use of ellipses......must be those bath salts kicking in.......dot..dot..dot..
and here I thought they were talking about me...Since I always use them

Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
It seems that you are obsessed with little dots since you chase them from thread to thread. There's medication for that!.... ; )
As was once said of John Ford I have too many pet peeves to be concerned with the conventional prejudices. But there is an epidemic of ellipsis misuse going on, indeed it seems to be the only punctuation mark some people know. It's quite irritating and I'm damned if I understand why someone would do so as it gives the impression the writer is hesitant and indecisive. It also gives an impression of having a speech defect, of stuttering. It gives me the mental image of the writer being a ditzy 17 year old blonde girl in cut off jeans and flip-flops texting on her cell phone.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
As was once said of John Ford I have too many pet peeves to be concerned with the conventional prejudices. But there is an epidemic of ellipsis misuse going on, indeed it seems to be the only punctuation mark some people know. It's quite irritating and I'm damned if I understand why someone would do so as it gives the impression the writer is hesitant and indecisive. It also gives an impression of having a speech defect, of stuttering. It gives me the mental image of the writer being a ditzy 17 year old blonde girl in cut off jeans and flip-flops texting on her cell phone.
Annoying isn't it? "Here's my number....Call me maybe"....

Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Cost of living is high...People Claim everyone is rude and obnoxious, I happen to disagree, I do have to say the Crime in South Florida is not Favorable I know crime is everywhere and growing up in Brooklyn NY and spending a lot of time in Manhattan there is crime but we did notice how bad south Florida has gotten...People have told me who have lived there a long time Your right they don't like how it has changed and it had nothing to do with us jewish people or the black people they felt the quality of life has changed...

In the 3.5 years we lived there we were very happy in Boca, but we did see a lot of the Negatives living there as well which is why we are torn whether or not to head back for the long haul and have our children plant roots there...

The crime rate in South Florida (indeed, the country) is a lot less now than in the 1990s, back when everyone who now complains about crime was younger, more tolerant of many things they are no longer tolerant of, and before the internet and 24/7 news cycle.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Default Why????

First off Florida may not be your cup of tea. Trans plants have this vision that its like home, but warm all the time. We all know what one is getting one's self into as far as "Hot and Stickily".

Florida as I have mentioned is a melting pot of race as well of your personal experienced the transplant brings in. This may conflict with someone's perception of "Normal".

I do got to admit with the above being said there are creative driving styles out there. We got the Island way of driving to the speed machine style and lastly the parade float syndrome. Take your pick!

Plus the pressure to earn a regular national level wage sometime does not apply in Florida. We all know that the cost of living is up and there is a toll road just for around the corner! Some Employers pay shameful wages. ( I am talking not about over paid wages for certain jobs)

Crime its every where. Have you seen the stats in Chicago and Big Detroit and or even Cleveland?

I have traveled and I reside in Phoenix until I can get home again. Its all over, and not just Florida!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Do you think the kids would stay? Usually when they finish college they're gone like an iguana.
My son landed his dream job as in intern in junior year of college in So Fl. He got a job there after graduation and stayed in So Fl for 10 years until he branched off into owning his own company and it could be operated from anywhere in the country, moved back home, Philly. He definitely would have been back sooner but had a business relationship with his employer that needed to be cared for.

All his childhood friends were still there and the busy city life culture he related to more. AND he's an ice hockey player.

Florida is geographically FAR from lots of places northern people are used to going to. In Philly you can quickly get to NY, NJ shore, DC, New England and even Canada in about 8 hours! That's also a factor for some people.

Miami to Jax is 5 or 6 hours alone!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Racism.
That's ridiculous considering racial diversity up North and even minority majority cities like my home town Philly. If we were racists we wouldn't be moving to a city where there was anything to complain about regarding race.

Now if you refer to Miami Hispanics/Latinos calling American non Hispanics "tourists" - who's the racists there?

Or are you saying that people complain about race in cities with little diversity here?

You can't have it both ways, your argument doesn't make sense.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
My son landed his dream job as in intern in junior year of college in So Fl. He got a job there after graduation and stayed in So Fl for 10 years until he branched off into owning his own company and it could be operated from anywhere in the country, moved back home, Philly. He definitely would have been back sooner but had a business relationship with his employer that needed to be cared for.

All his childhood friends were still there and the busy city life culture he related to more. AND he's an ice hockey player.

Florida is geographically FAR from lots of places northern people are used to going to. In Philly you can quickly get to NY, NJ shore, DC, New England and even Canada in about 8 hours! That's also a factor for some people.

Miami to Jax is 5 or 6 hours alone!
My son is on the fence about going back to NJ for his Career after he does his 2 year Transfer, we just worry with the cost of living...He loves South Florida so we will see...He is deciding on PT or OT in Sports Medicine/Athletic Training..Lots of Jobs up North for what he wants to do as well as South Florida..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida