Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:45 AM

35 posts, read 55,058 times

Advertisements

Hello all :-)

My question is pretty straight forward: What's with all the haters and Florida bashers on this site? My family and I are planning a lifestyle change. Part of that change involves a change in scenery. We want to move back to Tampa. This website has become part of my research for doing it. I've placed a few posts asking questions and what not. I have also spent a fair amount of time browsing other peoples posts. I have to say, I don't get it. I see a lot of very negative posts and opinions on the state of Florida. And a lot of these are from folks that live in Florida. I understand saying what you think good or bad, I happen to agree with that. But I mean really?

The negative comments on here are almost epidemic seems like. If you lived there, didn't like it and left okay fine. But if you're currently residing there and constantly bad mouthing the place...............well, I mean why? Leave if you have such a problem with it, move somewhere else. I'm not trying to start any arguments on here, or stir anything up. I just don't get it. If I were an idiot and blindly believed what I read on this site I would believe that everyone in Florida is a white trash loser looking to do the bare minimum in life to get by. Or they're lazy folks that just want to sit at the beach and soak up the sun, or sit at the docks fishing. Luckily, I'm not an idiot and I don't buy what I just said.

I am interested in finding out information. Good and bad information. For example, I currently live in Utah. I find that for me Utah is ugly. With the possible exception of the high country to the east of us, Utah is a desert, yuk. Go into southern Utah and it gets seriously disgusting looking. On top of that, almost all the bodies of water in this state are man made. The water is cloudy, and the bottom is muddy. I hate it here. The attitude in this area is definitely not in my opinion like Florida. It seems it's always rush, rush, rush. Life moves pretty fast around here and it seems folks here are very interested in money and career. I hate that, I want my life to slow down not speed up because I'm constantly busy with work. However, if you like deserts and your mind is focused on money and career then this may be the state for you. It's also costly to live around here, especially housing costs.

On the upside, unemployment here is quite low, five percent I believe. So if you need a job you may find it here. The people here are friendly and helpful. The primary belief system here is LDS or the Mormons. Truth be told, they're great folks. I think the Mormons have a bad rep, they're good folks regardless of what you think of their belief system :-) The state is very family oriented and safe. I think the worst neighborhood around here is pretty tame compared to other places in the country. If you do like the green stuff, up in the mountains to the east it gets very green and beautiful. It's just that one has to drive to it.

Okay, did everybody catch what I just did? I said what I like and dislike about my current location. And when I spoke about the negatives I did give my opinion but I tried to keep it from turning into a Utah bash fest. But this isn't what I see from some folks regarding Florida. It seems like they are determined to bash Florida, and spread there own hatred. Don't know, don't think that's right. Just saying'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 04:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeberlien View Post
Hello all :-)

My question is pretty straight forward: What's with all the haters and Florida bashers on this site? My family and I are planning a lifestyle change. Part of that change involves a change in scenery. We want to move back to Tampa. This website has become part of my research for doing it. I've placed a few posts asking questions and what not. I have also spent a fair amount of time browsing other peoples posts. I have to say, I don't get it. I see a lot of very negative posts and opinions on the state of Florida. And a lot of these are from folks that live in Florida. I understand saying what you think good or bad, I happen to agree with that. But I mean really?

The negative comments on here are almost epidemic seems like. If you lived there, didn't like it and left okay fine. But if you're currently residing there and constantly bad mouthing the place...............well, I mean why? Leave if you have such a problem with it, move somewhere else. I'm not trying to start any arguments on here, or stir anything up. I just don't get it. If I were an idiot and blindly believed what I read on this site I would believe that everyone in Florida is a white trash loser looking to do the bare minimum in life to get by. Or they're lazy folks that just want to sit at the beach and soak up the sun, or sit at the docks fishing. Luckily, I'm not an idiot and I don't buy what I just said.

I am interested in finding out information. Good and bad information. For example, I currently live in Utah. I find that for me Utah is ugly. With the possible exception of the high country to the east of us, Utah is a desert, yuk. Go into southern Utah and it gets seriously disgusting looking. On top of that, almost all the bodies of water in this state are man made. The water is cloudy, and the bottom is muddy. I hate it here. The attitude in this area is definitely not in my opinion like Florida. It seems it's always rush, rush, rush. Life moves pretty fast around here and it seems folks here are very interested in money and career. I hate that, I want my life to slow down not speed up because I'm constantly busy with work. However, if you like deserts and your mind is focused on money and career then this may be the state for you. It's also costly to live around here, especially housing costs.

On the upside, unemployment here is quite low, five percent I believe. So if you need a job you may find it here. The people here are friendly and helpful. The primary belief system here is LDS or the Mormons. Truth be told, they're great folks. I think the Mormons have a bad rep, they're good folks regardless of what you think of their belief system :-) The state is very family oriented and safe. I think the worst neighborhood around here is pretty tame compared to other places in the country. If you do like the green stuff, up in the mountains to the east it gets very green and beautiful. It's just that one has to drive to it.

Okay, did everybody catch what I just did? I said what I like and dislike about my current location. And when I spoke about the negatives I did give my opinion but I tried to keep it from turning into a Utah bash fest. But this isn't what I see from some folks regarding Florida. It seems like they are determined to bash Florida, and spread there own hatred. Don't know, don't think that's right. Just saying'.
I;m not seeing this epidemic of hating and bashing of Florida on this forum you are referring to, a few negatives here and there is all i'm seeing and is to be expected on any state forum.
I find it curious that you ask for good and bad info on Florida.. wouldnt anyone volunteering that bad information immediately be labeled a hater and a basher,the very attitude you seem to have a problem with in your topic title.
I learned a while ago Florida is paradise,no faults no problems.
I also find it curious that you are upset at the supposed hating and bashing of Florida yet you thoroughly trash Utah.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-18-2013 at 05:14 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,218,725 times
Why all the cheerleaders? If you don't want to read negative opinions of our fair state, stick to the Chamber of Commerce or tourism sites. Nothing but rainbows and puppies.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Why all the cheerleaders? If you don't want to read negative opinions of our fair state, stick to the Chamber of Commerce or tourism sites. Nothing but rainbows and puppies.
The cheerleaders have to be here to counteract the haters

Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
This might help explain...

Mock interview of someone who wants to move to Florida. - YouTube

Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 AM

98 posts, read 291,184 times
I've lived in many locations. I spent 12 years in the Orlando area and loved it. I had to move for my job. I am already building another home and looking to get back to Florida as soon as I can - hopefully not when I retire in 20 years.

Sure, Florida is humid in the summer but you get used to it. My wife hated it in Florida for the first two years. Then, she got used to the humidity and loved Florida. She hates the fact that we had to move away. We are building our retirement home a little earlier than planned but plan on loving getting back to Florida - Lakewood Ranch to be specific.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:17 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I was looking for that video yesterday to show the op in another thread.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 AM

443 posts, read 558,363 times
Pro tip - It doesn't matter what the locale is, people will find a way to hate it

Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,218,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This might help explain...

"Florida is warm and sunny all the time". Lol.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
"Florida is warm and sunny all the time". Lol.
And theres beaches..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-18-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida