Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:16 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunShell View Post
My mother hired RD Market Pools to build her a pool. She signed in March of this year and she found out last week that they are going out of business. She has left daily messages for months and went to the office, which was closed down. She paid $42,000 in full and they left at least 20k left unfinished. Plus the contractors that RD Market hired are putting liens on her house, for unpaid services. I am amazed at the laws or lack of! Even though she paid for a service in full, companies can put liens against her. The company has over 15 residents in the same boat. People are joining a class action suit against the company. I was wondering if anyone has experiences the same situation. My mom is about to have a nervous break down and we don't know how to help her. She feels that she is having to pay 3 x for a pool. Once to the pool company, again to finish the work that the pool company didn't, and again if she were to sell her house. Why don't more people complain to the political people? The consumer has no protection. Any advise would be greatly appreciated?

I'm sorry your mom is in this position.

I will make 2 points:

First, beating this women up for this type of mistake is not helpful. It is what it is. Woulda, coulda, shoulda don't really help her solve the problem.

She must seek legal advice to protect her interest. These liens won't go away on their own.

I am not an attorney. However, it seems that if she paid the contractor, the liens should be placed directly on the pool contractor. The subcontractors may not be aware she paid in full. They did nothing wrong by placing the lien if they are not aware of the situation. You might try contacting lien holders and providing them with the payment for the pool in full paperwork. They may removed the liens themselves. If not, you will need an attorney to settle this, unfortunately.

Second, moving forward, for all of us, the lesson to be learned is no out of pocket money should transfer to the contractor until the services are complete, inspected, and the customer is satisfied.

I know there are many contractors that want half of the funds up front. If you find them, seek out others. Good contractors do not require a deposit for work. Some will argue this point, but my best advice is to never pay a deposit to a contractor.

Be sure you are dealing with licensed, bonded, and insured contractors. Get insurance papers to prove it. Verify the license with the state. Check for complaints with the better business bureau.

Good luck to your mom in recouping losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 09:17 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
Why do people dredge up posts that are a year old and answer them?

Old 09-15-2007, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 12,705 times
I am trying to reclaim some money that RDMarkert Pools owes me and a Google search let me to city-data.com. I'm simply searching for leads from other people who lost money when the owner of this company left town and went to Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: