Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
There's only one NYC. However the ones that are moaning and groaning are generally the ones who don't have a nickel in their pockets. Most of us will catch the occasional flight up, get our fill over a few days and happily fly back "home" to Fla.

Truth man, truth . Still can't find a good bagel here though. Would be nice if the only decent pizza place in Weston didn't charge 3 bucks a slice too *bitching* *moaning*..

Just kidding. It encourages me to eat healthier anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk56 View Post

Maybe I should spend a month or so in Boca and another in Sarasota. Hmmm.
Now THAT is a great idea! If you are under 40 I would say it is safe to rule out Lauderdale altogether, it's definitely a younger scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Truth man, truth . Still can't find a good bagel here though. Would be nice if the only decent pizza place in Weston didn't charge 3 bucks a slice too *bitching* *moaning*..
Or Pizza. Some people think NY pizza is good. NY Pizza is "ok'. New Jersey Pizza, now that's Pizza. I had a guy in South Jersey who would make me 5 large pies, fast freeze em and fed ex em down. 5 bucks for each pie and 25 bucks for fedex. What a deal.

Now Bagels are another story. Gotta get those babies when they're just made. I haven't seen Salt Sticks since living in jersey and that was back when the teredactles and other dinosaurs roamed the earth

Old 11-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
. I haven't seen Salt Sticks since living in jersey and that was back when the teredactles and other dinosaurs roamed the earth
They sell them at PUBLIX here!. They aren't half bad either to my surprise. This place in Davie makes some amazing bialys as well.

To avoid drifting so off topic, it is true that Sarasota almost seems like a midwestern city in Florida to me and Boca Raton seems like an extension of Long Island.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:06 PM

41 posts, read 159,599 times
Quote:
To avoid drifting so off topic, it is true that Sarasota almost seems like a midwestern city in Florida to me and Boca Raton seems like an extension of Long Island.
For me, it may boil down to which area has the greater supply of divorcees

Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 PM

thanks to all for your feedback. This is a great site.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
Quote:
They sell them at PUBLIX here!. They aren't half bad either to my surprise. This place in Davie makes some amazing bialys as well.

At Publix? I must ask. This I have to see

I'd agree for the most part with your colorful descriptives of the two areas.

For the most part

Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
At Publix? I must ask. This I have to see
I DMed you. Didn't want to hijack.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:59 PM

7 posts, read 68,975 times
I vote Boca Raton. I lived in South Florida and I don't want to go back. . . but if I was single, it would be a different story.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:

Sarasota seems an extension of the Chicago area as much as Boca is of NY. I grew up in NY, Chicago is an amazing city second to none..Sarasta seems to be well on it's way to reflect that as well. The original poster also should check out Clearwater.. The east coast just doesn't have the waterfront and large bays to compete from that perspective.. The puny intracoastal in SE Florida doesn't compare.. Sort of like comparing the Hudson or East River in Manhattan to having Lake Michigan and the winding Chicago River at your doorstep in Chicago..lol

Old 11-21-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Sarasota seems an extension of the Chicago area as much as Boca is of NY. I grew up in NY, Chicago is an amazing city second to none..Sarasta seems to be well on it's way to reflect that as well. The original poster also should check out Clearwater.. The east coast just doesn't have the waterfront and large bays to compete from that perspective.. The puny intracoastal in SE Florida doesn't compare.. Sort of like comparing the Hudson or East River in Manhattan to having Lake Michigan and the winding Chicago River at your doorstep in Chicago..lol
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not much into boating so large bays are not important to me. Having said that, the east coast does have the Keys and the Bahamas - albeit a little further out. Clearwater, although a nice beach area, is not my cup of tea.

A factor of interest is that the nighttime temperature on the SE coast is 5-10 degrees warmer this time of year than the west coast (ie Sarasota/Tampa Bay). I think it has to do with the gulf current hitting that area more directly. That will be nice in January.

I am probably going to wind up in the vicinity of Boca, and maybe spend some time in Sarasota. Of course I will have my "New Yorker excess boasting meter" handy at all times. I haven't had the need for a Chicago one. Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida