Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:58 PM

41 posts, read 159,554 times

Advertisements

I am a 50 y/o single straight professional male relocating from Atlanta (I lived in Los Angeles prior). I have narrowed down my choices to Ft Lauderdale, Boca Raton and Sarasota. I would like to be somewhat close to the beach. Nightlife is important but South Beach is too much of a zoo and too young for me. I will rent initially but may buy in a year or two when prices come down more. I am familiar with Florida to some degree but would appreciate the perspective of residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
Hmm, professional, straight, like nightlife. I say Mizner Park in east Boca Raton, which has become a center for young as well as middle aged professionals, with decent nightlife, good restaurants and shopping, and close to the beach. It's a very classy, cosmopolitan area, "downtown" type area within an upscale city. You are also only a half hour to Fort Lauderdale, which is better for younger professionals and isn't as clean/safe as Boca.

I don't know much about Sarasota.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:32 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,088 times
What fort lauderdale said, plus if you are into the go go up front attitude of the northeast, choose boca. If you on the other hand can deal with the "ohio" or mid west state of mind, choose the west coast.

Much better nightlife, restarants, "culture" ( heh ) on the east coast but it's also much more crowded, and fast fast . More expensive on the east coast too. You can even get an acceptable pizza on the east coast. On the west coast they're clueless.

I lived half my life between Ft Lauderdale and Boca. Left the country to retire in Asia, and lived in several countries there for a few years. Best laid plans as they say. Came back and no way would pay the kind of money the east coast demanded and bought a house on the west coast.

It's ok really It's more laid back here, cheaper, obviously not as productive as the east coast. Was in Boca over the weekend. It just too much go go for me at this point ( I'm 52 by the way, had open heart surgery 2 1/2 years ago so access to quality care is a must ) . While I still like how much greener ( and cooler ) it is on the east coast, much better restarants, etc ( all day dim sum in Ft Lauderdale yee haw! ), it's just too crowded for my tastes at this point. But remember I spent half my life there. Another 3rd in Jersey, 5 years in NYC. Several years on a beach and then side of a mountain on an island in SE Asia.

Personally if we can eek out another couple years of the bull market we're in, it's gonna be tough to stay anywhere in the USA. If it doesn't last then we'll stay but probably not here in SW Fla and not on the east coast either. Probably Fla unless they raise taxes smoe in which case it's adios muchachos.

Good luck! Far better than Atlanta/Peachtree City/Fayetteville, area in my opinion.'

Sorry if I've rambled. Got me started on this one somehow

Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Far better than Atlanta/Peachtree City/Fayetteville, area in my opinion.'
I lived in Brookhaven, which is next to Buckhead and actually a pretty fun and nice place. But I'm pining for the ocean - I play competitive beach volleyball. I really like the FL west coast (ie white sand, sunsets), particularly Sarasota, but think it may be limiting, especially off-season, as I am still looking to get hitched up. As far as the FL east coast goes, I have some nice NYC friends, but I don't know if I can handle being surrounded by too many New Yorkers bitching and moaning about how no place can compare to the City . So it is a dilemma.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Hmm, professional, straight, like nightlife. I say Mizner Park in east Boca Raton,
The more research I do, the more that area sounds interesting.

Maybe I should spend a month or so in Boca and another in Sarasota. Hmmm.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:52 AM

64 posts, read 233,474 times
I live in Sarasota and find it to be a very beautiful city. Siesta Beach has the nightlife and the white flour like sand. Sarasota has developed into a cultural center with opera and theatre. I was transferred here from Chicago in 1990 and have enjoyed my time here. I am 58 and have recently retired. We are planning to move up into the mountains in north Gerogia as soon as we can sell our home here.

You should certainly spend some time here. It's a nice place.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:08 AM

548 posts, read 540,455 times
I don't think you could go wrong with either Boca or Sarasota. As you said, you are past the South Beach stage, but still want some nice places to go out. Both areas have plenty to do for a single gentlemen in your age bracket.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlendorf View Post
We are planning to move up into the mountains in north Gerogia as soon as we can sell our home here.
So you are going to be a halfback. The southern Appalachians are nice, from Carolina and Tennessee down to Georgia. I looked at some real estate investments there but now the market is tanking everywhere. It does get chilly in the winter and if you can do without being close to the ocean you should be OK.

I do have some concerns about the property insurance in FL. I don't mind the higher property tax, to compensate for no state income tax, but the supposed tripling of insurance makes real estate holding costs a real problem.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:56 PM

64 posts, read 233,474 times
Default Halfbacks all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk56 View Post
So you are going to be a halfback. The southern Appalachians are nice, from Carolina and Tennessee down to Georgia. I looked at some real estate investments there but now the market is tanking everywhere. It does get chilly in the winter and if you can do without being close to the ocean you should be OK.

I do have some concerns about the property insurance in FL. I don't mind the higher property tax, to compensate for no state income tax, but the supposed tripling of insurance makes real estate holding costs a real problem.
We don't need the gulf or the ocean, we rarely go to the beach.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk56 View Post
I have some nice NYC friends, but I don't know if I can handle being surrounded by too many New Yorkers bitching and moaning about how no place can compare to the City . So it is a dilemma.
There's only one NYC. However the ones that are moaning and groaning are generally the ones who don't have a nickel in their pockets. Most of us will catch the occasional flight up, get our fill over a few days and happily fly back "home" to Fla.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida