Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should South Florida be its own State?
Yes 24 40.68%
No 35 59.32%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
Ridiculous thought to begin with. Yes, they are becoming more and more Latino and yes, language is hard. Besides, when in the heck did Dade become "Miami-Dade"? I was in Missouri for 13-14 years so I may have missed it, but still.

I am stuck in Palm Beach County and dreading it more and more. I will be so glad when I can leave the God-Forsaken state. Have to deal with MIL first.

I know Texas has been trying to do this as well and it never comes about. I've heard some of the Northern border states want to join Canada, but I don't see that happening either.

Florida has some advantages over other states, but it also has a lot of disadvantages. There is a ton of tourism in Dade county, but I think the St. TampWater (St. Pete, Tampa, Clearwater) area has more and then whoever has Orlando gets a bunch as well.
No there is much more air travel in the main South Florida airports, plus the cruise ports than Tampas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 03:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,204 times
As much I would like to vote yes so that spanish could become an offical language. I have to vote no because I know those liberal democrates in palm beach and broward counties will haves up to our eyeballs in taxes and new regulations. plus my vote wouldn't mean anything anymore. South FL would vote democrat every election and the rest of florida would become as republican as the rest of the south, I like being a swing state so I vote no.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 AM

302 posts, read 499,409 times
I refuse to learn Spanish. I am having a hard enough time learning ASL for personal reasons. I went total deaf. Glad I am moving back out of this State when I can. I only wish it was sooner than it will be.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
As much I would like to vote yes so that spanish could become an offical language. I have to vote no because I know those liberal democrates in palm beach and broward counties will haves up to our eyeballs in taxes and new regulations. plus my vote wouldn't mean anything anymore. South FL would vote democrat every election and the rest of florida would become as republican as the rest of the south, I like being a swing state so I vote no.

Nobody is going to make Spanish the official language.

Spanish is a language of poverty, not prosperity. No immigrant can expect to "make it" without learning English as well, or English first.... and the people running Miami presently - the money - are the Gringos and those - mostly Cuban-American families who have been here for decades - who know English.

Plus, it would only encourage even more unskilled immigrants from Latin America to flood in and set up camp.

Spanish/Creole, etc., is already all important for court forms, warrants, court summons and proceedings, as well as to extract tourist dollars and money from consumers too dumb or too old to get to an ESOL class. But no reason to turn Miami into a Latin American city when Miami is what it is BECAUSE people have fled there from a Latin America that has historically been a third world backwater with fantastic food and vibrant cultural appeal. To visit.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Make Spanish an official language? You mean to used in court and on street signs? please that's never happening and never should. Is fair enough all ballots and other county documents have to be in three languages. You know even real estate contracts can be in Spanish in Florida! That is insane if you ask me.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM

411 posts, read 831,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Make Spanish an official language? You mean to used in court and on street signs? please that's never happening and never should. Is fair enough all ballots and other county documents have to be in three languages. You know even real estate contracts can be in Spanish in Florida! That is insane if you ask me.
If people want to make Spanish or any other language an official language they should have every right to do so in the USA. Nothing would be funnier than the racist freak-out that would occur if street signs in the USA had to be in both English and Spanish, which is why I give money to a group that is trying to make this happen.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
If people want to make Spanish or any other language an official language they should have every right to do so in the USA. Nothing would be funnier than the racist freak-out that would occur if street signs in the USA had to be in both English and Spanish, which is why I give money to a group that is trying to make this happen.

Nice way to waste your money.

BTW, while you're at it, being all "not racist" and stuff, when will you start being not racist towards my father's native language? Are you Spanish and English supremacist? Very exclusionary. You ought to be ashamed.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 PM

284 posts, read 640,903 times
NO!

& are yall seriously making this whole convo based on that they're alot of spanish speaking people in S.FL ??

yall are being overly-dramatic and annoying.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:42 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Oh please. Listen I am Hispanic, I live in Miami, I have family members who don't speak English well but there is ZERO reason in making any other language the official language. I want to see all the Latin American countries add an official language if a bunch of Americans immigrated there. Guess what, it would not happen. Add this hypothetical official language would be so inefficient to begin with and does not make sense economically. English is the worlds language anyway.

Do the people have the right to try make Spanish and official language? Of course they do. Given that the U.S. doesn't have an official language anyway seems likes a pretty dumb group. Donate your money to kids in the city who need food or a children's hospital or something. That group is probably just using the money to pay salaries and lobbyists anyway.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Nobody is going to make Spanish the official language.

Spanish is a language of poverty, not prosperity. No immigrant can expect to "make it" without learning English as well, or English first.... and the people running Miami presently - the money - are the Gringos and those - mostly Cuban-American families who have been here for decades - who know English.

Plus, it would only encourage even more unskilled immigrants from Latin America to flood in and set up camp.

Spanish/Creole, etc., is already all important for court forms, warrants, court summons and proceedings, as well as to extract tourist dollars and money from consumers too dumb or too old to get to an ESOL class. But no reason to turn Miami into a Latin American city when Miami is what it is BECAUSE people have fled there from a Latin America that has historically been a third world backwater with fantastic food and vibrant cultural appeal. To visit.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
NO!

& are yall seriously making this whole convo based on that they're alot of spanish speaking people in S.FL ??

yall are being overly-dramatic and annoying.
if only miami-dade broward, palm beach and monroe voted Spanish would easily be adopted as a 2nd official language(puerto rico anyone?). it makes sense 2 official recognize them both as their usage is about 50-50 in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida