Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times

Advertisements

Many people sell their more expensive homes in large cities, perhaps up north, and retire able to pay all cash in a less expensive area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM

44 posts, read 50,304 times
You never truly own your house in the US...not outright.

You will pay property taxes and fees FOREVER.

The year you don't pay property tax, the "state" will place a lien upon it, and auction it off if you not become current.

No such thing as "owning property outright" in the United States. The government owns your house....period and forever....unless the "state" eliminates "real property taxes" in their entirety.

Think on that FACT, jack. You don't own crap, and neither do I.

Includes raw land, farms and everything else. You are a "renter" from the "state" until the state relinquishes it's eternal "taxing power". You just have the "right" to convey it , take a profit, and pass it on to another fool and indentured servant to the state.

Don't believe me ? try not paying your property taxes.

The state can also condemn your property.

The state can also take your property under eminent domain, whether you agree to it or not.

You don't "own" crap.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatchubawdybout View Post
You never truly own your house in the US...not outright.

You will pay property taxes and fees FOREVER.

The year you don't pay property tax, the "state" will place a lien upon it, and auction it off if you not become current.

No such thing as "owning property outright" in the United States. The government owns your house....period and forever....unless the "state" eliminates "real property taxes" in their entirety.

Think on that FACT, jack. You don't own crap, and neither do I.

Includes raw land, farms and everything else. You are a "renter" from the "state" until the state relinquishes it's eternal "taxing power". You just have the "right" to convey it , take a profit, and pass it on to another fool and indentured servant to the state.

Don't believe me ? try not paying your property taxes.

The state can also condemn your property.

The state can also take your property under eminent domain, whether you agree to it or not.

You don't "own" crap.
I own plenty of property, I pay taxes yearly so that people can drive on roads to get to my property, so that it is protected by police and fire departments, on some so that I can have water brought to it and waste taken away.
Many places could eliminate property taxes and just raise the fees on other things to cover the shortfall but the group of people that pay no taxes now would be crying about all the fees being tripled and quadrupled.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 PM

409 posts, read 484,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post

It's not that uncommon for retirees to pay cash for a house. They are most likely making money from the sale of their previous house since the mortgage has been paid off, plus they also are frequently able to liquidate some investments. While most 20 or 30-somethings don't have enough money to pay cash for a house, it's not all that uncommon for older people to do it. Both my parents and grandparents bought their retirement homes with cash.
We are retired and paid cash for our duplex, which was just under $77K. Hardly a high end property, but suits our needs just fine. The source of our cash was from the sale of a house in another state in which home prices are higher. So, we netted just under $200K from that sale. We're certainly not rich, but like many retirees were able to pay cash for our present home.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatchubawdybout View Post
Ownership has nothing to do with the right of the government to tax property. Just because a taxing authority can levy taxes doesn't mean that they legally own the property.

It never amazes me of the amount of people who are always complaining about taxes, yet they also demand services, protection, schools, social programs, and infrastructure. You can't have any of that without taxes.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Ownership has nothing to do with the right of the government to tax property. Just because a taxing authority can levy taxes doesn't mean that they legally own the property.

It never amazes me of the amount of people who are always complaining about taxes, yet they also demand services, protection, schools, social programs, and infrastructure. You can't have any of that without taxes.
+1

Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM

411 posts, read 831,544 times
Quote:

I've always been a strong advocate of eliminating all income taxes for private citizens, while dramatically increasing property taxes, sales taxes, and taxes related to financial gains. In addition, corporate income taxes should be dramatically and viciously increased for entities over a certain size. Morons, like Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will tell you in their little girl voices voices that corporations will just pass the costs on to consumers, to this I say good, then maybe consumers will not use the products of certain companies then, preventing thuggish racist companies like Wal-Mart from taking over governments and destroying the world.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
preventing thuggish racist companies like Wal-Mart from taking over governments and destroying the world.
racist? lol

Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
Quote:
All a "cash offer" really means is that there is no mortgage.... It doesn't necessarily mean that they're filthy rich, although it's always a possibility.

It's not that uncommon for retirees to pay cash for a house. They are most likely making money from the sale of their previous house since the mortgage has been paid off...
Precisely. Which is a pretty common situation to be in.

We had 3 mortgages on our first house. Values increased drastically, plus I had a small inheritance, so when we bought our second house, we had no mortgage, just a small LOC. When we sold that house, we bought a condo, for cash. And with some of the leftovers, we bought a modest condo in Florida, again for cash. As you say, not uncommon among retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida