Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
What else do you want to call them?

When people get taken to task for commenting that they merely find the Geography of Florida too flat or others are called morons and idiots for using 4 way flashers in torrential rain or say anything negative one might find about the state you are immediately considered a troll and given the old adage of=
Quote:
If people really are unhappy here than why don't the just stop complaining about it and leave? You can always go up to Yankee Land and shovel snow.
Florida? nothing short of paradise!!!if it does have problems i'm certainly not going to air them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
I think part of this has to do with the human syndrome of if you are satisfied you tend not to speak about it, but if your jealous or feeling awful you want to tell everyone. People who are suffering or feel depressed are much more likely to rant or talk trash than satisfied people.

This can be seen all over the internet on message boards

Sent from my HTC DNA
I would not say people are "jealous" on a whole...I would base it more of a rationalization of ones self and where they are going in their career or life. Surely seeing or knowing people who have lucked out and landed a good job here and are doing well with credentials, education and experience equal or less than yours can make anyone scratch their heads on what they are doing wrong or why they are not so "lucky", and often that is just it...plain old good fortune or luck. I know of many of these types of people and without the empowerment they received from others and bump up the corporate ladder, that many here tend to get the rungs kicked out beneath their feet, most would not have a leg to stand on.

Many people try to see if it's just them that's having a difficult time here, and soon find out that they are not alone. I think in most part, it's the method of delivery that comes off sounding bitter, angry and etc.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
What else do you want to call them?

I said some of their complaints are legit, however most of the time it's so overblown and over exaggerated that the reality isn't anything close to being that bad. And yes compared to other states on here, Florida gets more hate than any other part of this forum, often times it's from people who don't even live here. They come in from other parts just to bash it for no real reason. That's trolling. If people have legit complaints about Florida that's fair, we have our problems like everywhere else, so let's discuss how to fix them. I think it's because people are jealous of Florida, for whatever reason they can't live here but they secretly wish they could, but since they can't the resort to bashing it instead to make themselves feel better.

And yes Florida is paradise, it is to me and millions of other people that call this state home. Paradise doesn't mean we won't have problems, but no other state can offer what Florida does. And I don't say that lightly either, I've been to Oregon, California, Georgia, Hawaii, South Carolina, Colorado.... And I always came back to my home state.

If people really are unhappy here than why don't the just stop complaining about it and leave? You can always go up to Yankee Land and shovel snow.
What does Florida have that Hawaii doesn't have? Besides a higher COL and no jobs?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
"Paradise" is in the eyes of the beholder, sure it's desirable in certain locations here but in my opinion, Hawaii would be considered more of a tropical paradise than here in my opinion.
True. It's subjective. But most people think of paradise they think of Florida, especially South Florida (and Hawaii too), hence why they are willing to pay more for a home in these places.

Hawaii is beautiful state, but it's not a place I would personally want to live. It's very expensive, not just in housing either but for everything. I once saw $8 for milk when I was there on the Big Island. I wouldn't want to work multiple jobs just for a small apartment, and I wouldn't be able to have any free time. Plus living on such a small and isolated island would drive me mad. You can get see the entire island in about 3-4. 5 hours, then what? And there are no bridges to the other islands and flying isn't cheap.

Not bashing Hawaii, its a beautiful place and is certainly a tropical paradise. . Just speaking from my personal view point. IMO Hawaii is a great place to visit but not to live, Florida is a great place to visit AND a great place to live.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
blasphemy
Choose your poison, to me Hawaii is more of a tropical paradise, but that's my opinion and seems there are a lot those lately...

Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Choose your poison, to me Hawaii is more of a tropical paradise, but that's my opinion and seems there are a lot those lately...
There's nothing wrong with that either. We all have different opinions. If you're interested in Hawaii I think you should visit first and research what island you want to live on. I've been to two, only Oahu (where my plane flew in) and The Big Island so I can't comment on the others.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
What does Florida have that Hawaii doesn't have? Besides a higher COL and no jobs?

I don't know about that, I've heard tell that Hawaii is a horrendously expensive place to live, and I know the real estate is untouchable for us mere mortals. While I don't know first hand I'd be surprised if it's a jobseeker's paradise in Hawaii either. In short, a great place to visit, but to live there? No.

Florida- depends on where in the state you're talking about as to the COL. It's the most expensive in the southeast. Other places in the state are a lot more affordable.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Hawaii actually has a far higher COL and fewer jobs (it's ranked as having the highest cost of living in the nation). Its ranked 50th state in economic growth.

Florida has nicer beaches IMO, they're so long and white and they go on forever... Hawaiian beaches are smaller, but they do have some cool looking sand. Some of the sand is even black! Florida also has better weather too overall IMO, see not all parts of Hawaii have nice sunny weather all the time like people think. It depends entirely on what part of the islands you live on, when I was in Hilo it was usually dark and rainy almost all the time. Reminded me of the Pacific Northwest region, like Seattle. But drive to the other side of the island and you'll see lots of sun.

Hawaii does have beautiful mountains, something Florida lacks. The weather and tempatures I found to be pretty much the same as Floridas, except during the summer as Florida gets a little more humid during that time.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM

411 posts, read 831,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeberlien View Post
Hello all :-)

My question is pretty straight forward: What's with all the haters and Florida bashers on this site? My family and I are planning a lifestyle change. Part of that change involves a change in scenery. We want to move back to Tampa. This website has become part of my research for doing it. I've placed a few posts asking questions and what not. I have also spent a fair amount of time browsing other peoples posts. I have to say, I don't get it. I see a lot of very negative posts and opinions on the state of Florida. And a lot of these are from folks that live in Florida. I understand saying what you think good or bad, I happen to agree with that. But I mean really?

The negative comments on here are almost epidemic seems like. If you lived there, didn't like it and left okay fine. But if you're currently residing there and constantly bad mouthing the place...............well, I mean why? Leave if you have such a problem with it, move somewhere else. I'm not trying to start any arguments on here, or stir anything up. I just don't get it. If I were an idiot and blindly believed what I read on this site I would believe that everyone in Florida is a white trash loser looking to do the bare minimum in life to get by. Or they're lazy folks that just want to sit at the beach and soak up the sun, or sit at the docks fishing. Luckily, I'm not an idiot and I don't buy what I just said.

I am interested in finding out information. Good and bad information. For example, I currently live in Utah. I find that for me Utah is ugly. With the possible exception of the high country to the east of us, Utah is a desert, yuk. Go into southern Utah and it gets seriously disgusting looking. On top of that, almost all the bodies of water in this state are man made. The water is cloudy, and the bottom is muddy. I hate it here. The attitude in this area is definitely not in my opinion like Florida. It seems it's always rush, rush, rush. Life moves pretty fast around here and it seems folks here are very interested in money and career. I hate that, I want my life to slow down not speed up because I'm constantly busy with work. However, if you like deserts and your mind is focused on money and career then this may be the state for you. It's also costly to live around here, especially housing costs.

On the upside, unemployment here is quite low, five percent I believe. So if you need a job you may find it here. The people here are friendly and helpful. The primary belief system here is LDS or the Mormons. Truth be told, they're great folks. I think the Mormons have a bad rep, they're good folks regardless of what you think of their belief system :-) The state is very family oriented and safe. I think the worst neighborhood around here is pretty tame compared to other places in the country. If you do like the green stuff, up in the mountains to the east it gets very green and beautiful. It's just that one has to drive to it.

Okay, did everybody catch what I just did? I said what I like and dislike about my current location. And when I spoke about the negatives I did give my opinion but I tried to keep it from turning into a Utah bash fest. But this isn't what I see from some folks regarding Florida. It seems like they are determined to bash Florida, and spread there own hatred. Don't know, don't think that's right. Just saying'.
Dude, Utah is a really horrible place to live, you should like move to Florida right away. Even lame places like Tampa or Orlando would be way better than Utah.

Peace.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know about that, I've heard tell that Hawaii is a horrendously expensive place to live, and I know the real estate is untouchable for us mere mortals. While I don't know first hand I'd be surprised if it's a jobseeker's paradise in Hawaii either. In short, a great place to visit, but to live there? No.

Florida- depends on where in the state you're talking about as to the COL. It's the most expensive in the southeast. Other places in the state are a lot more affordable.
That's what I meant..Hawaii has a higher COL and not much job opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida