Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanish become the official language of Florida?
YES! 33 14.80%
MAYBE! 3 1.35%
no 187 83.86%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I actually wouldn't mind louisiana adopting french as a second language or hawaii adopting japanese as a 3rd language or alaska adopting russian as their second. if another language is useful in another region of the country then their is no reason for one only one language to be used.

You haven't shown a reason or utility WHY it's useful or worth the expense. Other than being someone who is really, really obsessed with their ethnicity to the point of being bizarre. Let me guess.... got an ethnic flag hanging from the mirror in your car too?

No reason < Cost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
actually India has more than 20 official languages and even spain has 5 languages that are official in at least one Provence. their are many more countries that have many different languages in different parts of the country. this is'nt something new it's been around for a very long time and there is nothing wrong with it.
Look what Koas is their country.

First speaker of the house was a Lutheran Pastor by Sunday and Speaker of the House , speaking Broken English/ German in the House of Rep. It must of been interesting if one was actual in the Gallery!

All this rubbish on Europe have different spoken Languages is Rubbish. French is the only recognized Lange in France and so goes Germany. Officially anyways.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
When a state or a country loses its common language they are doom fail. Our Founders Found English was the common thread to unite the 13 Colonies.

This is nor the first time this subject was brought and was even on the Ballet 25 years ago. One language simplifies gov with the cost of duplicating publications for different languages.

No else does this in the world except us.
I think Spanish should not be an official language of FL.
While I lived in Miami, I felt this vibe of "self-entitlement" of SOME these folks who speak Spanish and Spanish only. And it is only dividing.
I always got this response of "No Hablo ingles" even in Kendall. HOwever when I started to speak Spanish in response to that, their attitude changed toward me.
I agree with you, "when a state or a country loses its common language they are doom to fail"
Also when I was a kid in Indonesia, we have different languages due to the archipelago structure of the country. HOWEVER; the government states that this is a must that every citizens learn Bahasa Indonesia, which is the officail language, so that they can communicate with one another. We still spoke whatever other languages that we spoke at home (for me: Sundanese and Chinese mandarin). But once we were outside, I could not speak chinese to my Balinese or Javanese friends. We had to speak BAHASA Indonesia.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:31 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
@asiandudeyou. No one should worry. Even if a large, influential group of Hispanics in Florida (let's say businessmen/-women from Miami-Dade) spearheaded a campaign to officialize Spanish, they'd have to get the legislature in Tallahassee to pass it. Impossible, and it will be impossible for at least the next 50 years. We'll all be dead before Spanish is even a CO-OFFICIAL language with English in Florida or California, where English is the only official language, the language of public schools, the language of all universities, etc. etc. Only a few anti-American Europeans and Latin Americans I've met really believe that Spanish is taking over the USA. Some say we must all be learning Spanish now (hardly), that it's required in the public schools or will be shortly (not even in New Mexico, mis amigos), that we'll all have to be bilingual by 2030 (how, when Hispanics often speak flawless English and when so few gringos or Asian immigrants can speak a word of Spanish?), and that the USA will be Spanish-speaking by 2040 (laughable).

People need a reality check, which I now provide here free of charge. (I speak English and 3 other languages.)

Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
It's never gonna happen. Spanish is for Hispanics or Latinos or whatever they wanna be called. Everyone else speaks English. Spanish is a minority language here in FL and there it will remain. English is the main language. Bam. Done. That's it.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM

411 posts, read 831,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You haven't shown a reason or utility WHY it's useful or worth the expense. Other than being someone who is really, really obsessed with their ethnicity to the point of being bizarre. Let me guess.... got an ethnic flag hanging from the mirror in your car too?

No reason < Cost
Why do you hate people who speak Spanish so much? Does it scare you?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Why do you hate people who speak Spanish so much? Does it scare you?

Sheesh, what are you, some gringo with no flavorful culture to fall back or self-reference so you're trying to ingratiate yourself with the Spanish speakers? Sad.

Besides, what makes you think I hate Spanish speakers? Because I don't think it's practical or even worthwhile to make it an "official language"?

#1, I can speak it pretty well. Very handy when travelling. Except in Barcelona, where that Catalan screws things up. In fact, I know more Spanish than Portuguese.... which happens to be where half of my family immigrated from.

As a first generation, I certainly have nothing against immigrants or Latin culture.

#2, Given where my family comes from, my last name is held by Latin Americans.... oddly many Cubans in Key West and Peruvians...

#3, I love Mexican and Cuban food. But both are given a run for their money by a good churrascaria.

The burden of proving the utility of making Spanish an official language in a multi-cultural society (where in the future, an increasing number of immigrants will no longer come from Spanish Latin America but ASIA and even Brazil) is on those who WANT to make Spanish the official language.

If you want to resort to claiming I "hate" Spanish speakers because you have no good argument for making Spanish "official," that is your problem. There is nothing worse in Miami than the entitlement culture of people who live in that bubble that place "Spanish" above everyone and everything else.

Comprende hombre?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
well, I think the poll is pretty clear with an overwhelming majority of respondents saying "NO"

Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
It's never gonna happen. Spanish is for Hispanics or Latinos or whatever they wanna be called. Everyone else speaks English. Spanish is a minority language here in FL and there it will remain. English is the main language. Bam. Done. That's it.
English was the language of our founding fathers? The language of our constitution? The language of commerce, the language of our court system, the language we are taught in school? Funny it isn't like everyone who immigrated here over the past 400+ years spoke English as their first language anyway since few did outside of the UK. Many towns in the upper midwest were founded and inhabited mostly by German immigrants. Took them a few generations to eventually assimilate as well. Miami and the border towns with Mexico are quite unique in the same way and the probable exceptions in the USA today.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM

411 posts, read 831,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sheesh, what are you, some gringo with no flavorful culture to fall back or self-reference so you're trying to ingratiate yourself with the Spanish speakers? Sad.

Besides, what makes you think I hate Spanish speakers? Because I don't think it's practical or even worthwhile to make it an "official language"?

#1, I can speak it pretty well. Very handy when travelling. Except in Barcelona, where that Catalan screws things up. In fact, I know more Spanish than Portuguese.... which happens to be where half of my family immigrated from.

As a first generation, I certainly have nothing against immigrants or Latin culture.

#2, Given where my family comes from, my last name is held by Latin Americans.... oddly many Cubans in Key West and Peruvians...

#3, I love Mexican and Cuban food. But both are given a run for their money by a good churrascaria.

The burden of proving the utility of making Spanish an official language in a multi-cultural society (where in the future, an increasing number of immigrants will no longer come from Spanish Latin America but ASIA and even Brazil) is on those who WANT to make Spanish the official language.

If you want to resort to claiming I "hate" Spanish speakers because you have no good argument for making Spanish "official," that is your problem. There is nothing worse in Miami than the entitlement culture of people who live in that bubble that place "Spanish" above everyone and everything else.

Comprende hombre?
Your tone and the information you include, like mentioning that you enjoy Mexican and Cuban food (as if this is proof that you don't hate Spanish speakers) makes it quite clear of where you stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida