U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM

274 posts, read 1,229,203 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing about this 4 point inspection that you can have done on your home. It costs about $150 It may be called a wind mitigation" inspection, or a 4-point inspection.

Does anybody know about this and what it involves?

Has anybody had it done? What is the the benefits and risks to this? Is it a scam?

I have a homeowners policy with Liberty american. I have a separate policy for wind insurance with Citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:32 PM

8,204 posts, read 24,042,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
I have been hearing about this 4 point inspection that you can have done on your home. It costs about $150 It may be called a wind mitigation" inspection, or a 4-point inspection.

Has anybody had it done? What is the the benefits and risks to this? Is it a scam?

I have a homeowners policy with Liberty american. I have a separate policy for wind insurance with Citizens.
I've had to do it, but I never heard of anyone willingly do it.

I had an older home and my insurance company required a 4 point inspection. Most insurance companies now require a 4 point for home purchases (unless it's new construction).

A 4 point will check:

1 - ROOF: It basically equates to your roof not being more than 15 years old, regardless of whether you use 20 or 30 year shingles.

2 - PLUMBING: You cannot have any polybutylene plumbing (grey pipe) present in your house whatsoever.

3 - AC: The AC system must have at least 5 years of life left in it.

4 - ELECTRIC: You electric needs to have been updated (no knob & tube, etc.).

I would not welcome this inspection on an older home, too many cans of worms can be opened - I was forced to replumb the entire house because I had a bit of polybutylene (and I wasn't going to do a piecemeal replumb, just ended up doing it all).

Old 11-15-2007, 04:29 AM

536 posts, read 679,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post

I just had it done to my home last month. I received my Citizens bill and called my agent to ask what I could do to lower it. He suggested the wind mitigation inspection and it did cost $150. Inspector came out in about 3 days after I called. He looked at roof age, attachment[1 nail per every 6" on plywood] shingle attachment [6 nails per shingle] hurricane clips every stud to roof rafter. Also looked at shutters[which I dont have- I have plywood] and a garage door that is new and hurricane approved. It wasnt a scam. My insurance went from $2678 to $1932. It was well worth it. My house was built in 1992 pre hurricane andrew and is a stick built house. Inspection took about 45 minutes and he took pictures up in the attic of the roof trusses.
John

Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,865,334 times
Default I had it done... willingly

Quote:
urbandeco 4 point inspection to lower home insurance??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a homeowners policy with Liberty american. I have a separate policy for wind insurance with Citizens
I had it done... "wind mitigation report". Stick built home in 1995 (did it myself). My insurance went from 3700 to 2300 for a 2800 sq ft home. ( No claims for the life of the policy) I live in a 140 max rated zone. Martin County approx 15 miles from the coast.

Of course when I built my home, I used an inordinate amount of connectors and used what was a 140 mph code at the time. Hip roof, with common eve/facia all around home (no elevated roof lines), All Trusses connected over the truss straps, roof panels nailed with 10D nails 3"OC , Metal roof w/2" screws @6" centers, 24ga hurricane panels, garage door rated 140mph, impact proof sky lights,etc.

The only thing I did not get a credit for was double membrane roof (to prevent leaks).The form the inspector used was Insurance company specific... meaning the insurance company wanted certains things check. It has proved to be a good investment of my time and money having survived three direct hits in a 13 month period. (Francis, Jean, Wilma)

Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,123,049 times
Default It's supposed to be FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my last real estate transaction, the 4 point inspection for homeowner's insurance was $75 and the wind mitigation inspection was free. Please read up on My Safe Florida Home before paying inspectors capitalizing on consumers. And, I'm pretty sure the contractors/inspectors have to sign up with the state in order to participate.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM

And I think we're talking about 2 completely different things here:

Wind Mitigation is to get you a discount - this you would do willingly.

Four Point Inspection is something your insurer wants you to do so they can be sure your home will not flood, roof won't blow off, electrical fire, etc. If you are in, or are purchasing, an older home most insurers will require this now and you have to pass it or fix it. This is something new just in the last few years and I can't imagine anyone wanting to do this willingly, only begrudgingly - most people in FL probably haven't had to go through this yet .

Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,123,049 times
Yes, they are two separate inspections for two separate reasons. Sorry if I misguided anyone.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:30 PM

432 posts, read 1,323,649 times
Karen, thank you for the link.

Are these inspections different from the inspection you would have when buying a home anyway, or can they all be done together by one inspection firm?

I expect to be purchasing in the panhandle in the spring, and am looking at homes that have been built since 2003.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
Are these inspections different from the inspection you would have when buying a home anyway, or can they all be done together by one inspection firm?
Different - totally different. A standard home inspection is for your benefit, A 4 pt inspection is for the benefit of the insurance company (though you pay for it ), the Wind Mitigation one could be considered for you since it is completely optional.

***Don't give your insurer a copy of your full standard home inspection - that is too much information for them - hire out a separate 4 pt.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
I expect to be purchasing in the panhandle in the spring, and am looking at homes that have been built since 2003.
Just noticed you're looking to buy a newer home, so the insurer is not going to ask you for a 4 pt anyway. It's usally required if the home you're purchasing is decades old (I had to do it on a 60 year old home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida