Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:45 AM

228 posts, read 796,336 times

Advertisements

Are there any non-retired "snow birds" out there? My S/O has a restaurant up North and she is considering closing in the winter and opening something (small restaurant or something similar) in Florida November - March. How feasible is this? Are there any seasonal businesses in Florida that are run or owned by people who live elsewhere? How do independent restaurants do in Florida? Do people support them, or do they prefer chain restaurants?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 05:58 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
Are there any non-retired "snow birds" out there? My S/O has a restaurant up North and she is considering closing in the winter and opening something (small restaurant or something similar) in Florida November - March. How feasible is this? Are there any seasonal businesses in Florida that are run or owned by people who live elsewhere? How do independent restaurants do in Florida? Do people support them, or do they prefer chain restaurants?
Thanks!
Where I am, restaurants are open all year round. Ice Cream stands are seasonable, however.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Quote:
Thanks!
How do you plan to do this? No one will rent space to a business for just a few months, so you will have the fixed expenses all year long with no income.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM

I don't think it's feasible either, but I wanted to get other's input. Are there any other business that are run just in the winter?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:24 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
I agree thats gonna be a hard one.. Heck even the ice cream stores are open year round in swfl.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
That was definetly an appeal, less chain stores up here, mostly mom and pop. And they have better quality stuff than any target or walmart sells
Did you enjoy living in FL?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:46 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,031 times
Personally, I tend to avoid the chain restaurants. I can't remember the last time I was in an Olive Garden or a Ruby Tuesday.

It depends on what part of the state your friend wants to open a business in. I live on the panhandle and up here, several of the mom 'n pop restaurants actually close during the winter. Many close from November 1 - March 1. Captain Anderson's in Panama City Beach comes to mind. Many of these places cater to the tourist so they don't bother to open when the tourists are scarce.

I agree with the point someone made about only leasing from Nov. - Mar. Commercial real estate is starting to suffer down here just like residential real estate. You might be hard pressed to find someone willing to lease for less than 1 year.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:49 PM

199 posts, read 219,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
That was definetly an appeal, less chain stores up here, mostly mom and pop. And they have better quality stuff than any target or walmart sells
Nonsense, NH has as many or more chain stores than anyplace else. In just your little town of 20,000 people you have BOTH Walmart and Target...and Borders, and Home Depot, and Sears, and Penneys, and tons of chain restaurants!! There are almost 30 Walmarts in the little state of NH for goodness sakes, with many more right over the borders in neighboring states, a fact easily checked on their website.

Walmart 360 Winchester st. Keene, NH.
Target 46 Ash Blvd. Keene, NH.

And a quote from a city forum regular who lives up there:

"In Keene you can find lots of chain type stores. Target, Borders, Home Depot, Walmart, KB Toys, Sears, JC Penney, Olive Garden, 99, Pizza Uno..."

Yup, NH is all mom and pops, hmmm, all those silly chain stores must do no business. Those amazing NH people ONLY shop at mom and pops! And when I visit my relatives in Goffstown and Nashua, I must be imagining all the strip centers and chain stores we pass!!

Moderator deleted

Last edited by sunrico90; 11-16-2007 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
[quote=Sunandsand;1969210]Nonsense, NH has as many or more chain stores than anyplace else. In just your little town of 20,000 people you have BOTH Walmart and Target...and Borders, and Home Depot, and Sears, and Penneys, and tons of chain restaurants!! There are almost 30 Walmarts in the little state of NH for goodness sakes, with many more right over the borders in neighboring states, a fact easily checked on their website.

Walmart 360 Winchester st. Keene, NH.
Target 46 Ash Blvd. Keene, NH.

And a quote from a city forum regular who lives up there:

"In Keene you can find lots of chain type stores. Target, Borders, Home Depot, Walmart, KB Toys, Sears, JC Penney, Olive Garden, 99, Pizza Uno..."

Yup, NH is all mom and pops, hmmm, all those silly chain stores must do no business. Those amazing NH people ONLY shop at mom and pops! And when I visit my relatives in Goffstown and Nashua, I must be imagining all the strip centers and chain stores we pass!!

Orphaned

Last edited by sunrico90; 11-16-2007 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 11-16-2007, 11:30 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Did you enjoy living in FL?
not at all, even as a child i would tell my mother i was going to move away when I grew up. My husband who moved down from Maine couldn't stand SWFL. We finally got away and both agree we'll never move back. We just don't like the people, the weather(its snowing here right now and we're estatic we love it) and we're not big on beaches, it gets old believe me and endless summer and bugs.. Ugh the snowbirds and everyone else can take itall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida