Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times

Advertisements

South florida is just as expensive as Central NJ...only few differences would be no state tax and property tax is less in S. Florida, but homeowners and car insurance and food are higher in S. Florida....Big problem salaries are quite bad depending on what one does...in S florida you do not get more for your money..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 AM

24 posts, read 47,624 times
Ironic, from what I read on this forum it seems town/city managers get paid 150-200k a year. Thats equal to or in some cases more than the comparable job anywhere up north. It appears that the right municipal job pays quite well in Florida. When the state of Vermont average welfare benefit ( food stamps, medical ,housing assistance, etc. ) comes to over $40K year household income, its tough to understand how at a $ 10.00 an hour any where would be a livable wage.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
The people of S. Fl created their own problems. The density of the population is ridiculous.

Homeowners insurance is higher because of the risk of insuring the area. Its more prone to hurricane disaster then central NJ. Auto insurance is higher due to the density of the population. More people, more cars, more accidents, higher premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
South florida is just as expensive as Central NJ...only few differences would be no state tax and property tax is less in S. Florida, but homeowners and car insurance and food are higher in S. Florida....Big problem salaries are quite bad depending on what one does...in S florida you do not get more for your money..

Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The people of S. Fl created their own problems. The density of the population is ridiculous.

Homeowners insurance is higher because of the risk of insuring the area. Its more prone to hurricane disaster then central NJ. Auto insurance is higher due to the density of the population. More people, more cars, more accidents, higher premiums.
The car insurance problems is because up to 25% of drivers are uninsured and no one is doing anything about it and the rates keep going higher for those who do the right thing and carry insurance.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM

I have no complaint on car insurance. 2 cars. Decent coverage, no comp/collision as the cars are too old to worry about that. $90.00 a month for both. I agree, AT LEAST 25% do not bother with insurance. How they renew their registration every year is beyond me. Thats why I carry UM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
The car insurance problems is because up to 25% of drivers are uninsured and no one is doing anything about it and the rates keep going higher for those who do the right thing and carry insurance.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
My mother's family moved here in the 80s. There was such a need for unskilled labor and jobs were abundant. That is what brought them here. You could find jobs just about anywhere in hospitality. Throughout high school I could find a job at just about any restaurant it was so easy to find work. I would work my main job during the school year and when school let out I would pick up a second job at a different restaurant working lunches. It was so easy prior to 2007.

Florida has never been good for anything but that though. If you are not serving someone food or a drink or cleaning up after them then Florida is and has always been one of the worst places to live for work. The recession took a beating to the states tourism industry so now not even hospitality jobs are plentiful.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:40 PM

What line of work are you in now?

Your last paragraph could be no further from the truth except for the last sentence. However,
throughout the U.S. no jobs are plentiful. The U.S. fell into a depression and it is coming out of it.
Try to keep up with the changes. Besides that, in my 25 years here I never worked in the tourism industry, but since that is the focus of your post.......

Florida Tourism Numbers at Highest Since 2007

Record Breaking Tourism Year

Tourism and Hospitality Trends in Florida

Visitors From Brazil, Canada Boost Tourism Numbers « CBS Miami

Florida tourism seeks to push visitor count to 100 million - Orlando Sentinel

Many people who post here seem stuck in low gear and stay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
My mother's family moved here in the 80s. There was such a need for unskilled labor and jobs were abundant. That is what brought them here. You could find jobs just about anywhere in hospitality. Throughout high school I could find a job at just about any restaurant it was so easy to find work. I would work my main job during the school year and when school let out I would pick up a second job at a different restaurant working lunches. It was so easy prior to 2007.

Florida has never been good for anything but that though. If you are not serving someone food or a drink or cleaning up after them then Florida is and has always been one of the worst places to live for work. The recession took a beating to the states tourism industry so now not even hospitality jobs are plentiful.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
No. Your way doesn't equal the right way for everyone. If I want to live in Miami and work to add public transportation and incentives for kids not drop out of highschool, and to have healthy food options, etc, etc., I damn well will. There is till plenty of back country in Florida for those who want that lifestyle. If you choose to move to one of the more economically opportune areas of Florida and complain whole still enjoying the benefits, it's you who has the problem. Get it? Probably not, but I had a mi ute to kill..lol

Old 09-17-2013, 04:26 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
Couple of things...
A-The US only went into a recession, not depression,
B-Transplants run your economy,
C-What is more American than voting a place to that person's liking?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What line of work are you in now?

Your last paragraph could be no further from the truth except for the last sentence. However,
throughout the U.S. no jobs are plentiful. The U.S. fell into a depression and it is coming out of it.
Try to keep up with the changes. Besides that, in my 25 years here I never worked in the tourism industry, but since that is the focus of your post.......

Florida Tourism Numbers at Highest Since 2007

Record Breaking Tourism Year

Tourism and Hospitality Trends in Florida

Visitors From Brazil, Canada Boost Tourism Numbers « CBS Miami

Florida tourism seeks to push visitor count to 100 million - Orlando Sentinel

Many people who post here seem stuck in low gear and stay there.
Florida will always fall upon the backbone of tourism to keep itself afloat. You think that anything but hospitality fuels this state? Tell that to the young people living in Naples, Fl where I am from.

I work and plan to build a career in health insurance (specifically medicaid managed plan companies). I was supposed to be out of the state at the beginning of this month but do to a change in circumstance my move is postponed by a few months. I can't wait to get out of here and settle myself in an area with more opportunities in the field of work I want to be in. Tampa Bay, where I live now, is only good for hospitality and low end retail work. I hear there are call centers in the area but I haven't seen many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida