Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why on earth would a company who requires high skilled individuals consider someone who does not have the training and experience required for a particular job, regardless of where they were trained. I came here without a job and the training and experience I had was useless due to the non-existence of it here.

Simple. Didnt like the NYC quality of life. Needed a new career. Liked FL from many previous visits.
Saw opportunities I could not attain in NYC. Liked the quality of life here. Liked the weather.

Basically, Veni, vidi, vici.
You moved here during a MUCH different time. It was easier to start and build a life in this state back in the 80s. Your experience, as much pleasant nostalgia as it might create in your mind, is not applicable to the world today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,572 times
From the things I've read and researched, Florida in the 70s, 80s and 90s was way more backwards than now and was far from being some sort of heaven (seemed to be quite the opposite in many places). Though in the 21st century, the main problem that does stick out is the amount of people that come here without being prepared (for example, people who don't know the local job market). Other than that, Florida always had problems.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 7,188 times
Quote:
I am not sure what you consider a "high quality job". Is a bank teller one of them? How about HVAC tech? plumber, electrician, carpenter, any of the trades - are they high quality?

What are high quality jobs? Astronaut?

Florida doesn't have enough of an educated work force to attract a high number of high-paying professions. The state is fighting for mostly $10-15hr jobs. There's nothing wrong with this but people who believe Florida is like the highly-educated well-paying place they left are in for a shock.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,194 times
Default Good Points by All

What I see there is good points and we are splinting hairs.

Education for the future is all ways need for growth and attract those who have investment dollars.

Manufactureing with skilled jobs are need to increase wages across the board.

Must hold World Wide and National companies in keeping constistant wages no matter what city they are from. If they pay 25.00/hour in NJ and should be the same in Florida.

Educated or skilled people bring value in our communities in buying homes, maintaining and support other service companies.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:24 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post

Must hold World Wide and National companies in keeping constistant wages no matter what city they are from. If they pay 25.00/hour in NJ and should be the same in Florida.
I agree. This race to the bottom bidding war between states is only benefiting big business and the politicians.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:37 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
From the things I've read and researched, Florida in the 70s, 80s and 90s was way more backwards than now and was far from being some sort of heaven (seemed to be quite the opposite in many places). Though in the 21st century, the main problem that does stick out is the amount of people that come here without being prepared (for example, people who don't know the local job market). Other than that, Florida always had problems.
It was overall a lower COL, much lower even at the lower salaries. Where I live in around 1996 you could buy a brand new CBS 3/2/2 home in a gated community for $120K or so, even if you were making $30K/year that's much better than $30K/year and a median home price of $250-300K. Rents were lower as well, $600/month for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
Supply and demand. If people are willing to pay the price, sellers and landlords are going to demand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
It was overall a lower COL, much lower even at the lower salaries. Where I live in around 1996 you could buy a brand new CBS 3/2/2 home in a gated community for $120K or so, even if you were making $30K/year that's much better than $30K/year and a median home price of $250-300K. Rents were lower as well, $600/month for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,277 times
Quote:
Supply and demand. If people are willing to pay the price, sellers and landlords are going to demand it.
"Pay" meaning upward of 50% of your income on rent...retirement is looking good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida