Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,826,749 times

Advertisements

In North Carolina, if we (the employer) called an ambulance to take one of our employees from our work facility to the hospital, we (the employer) paid for it, as we called for it.

Well, my last day of employment here in Florida ended up with me having passed out and the company calling an ambulance. Somehow my insurance was charged, they paid a small percentage and the ambulance company billed me for the balance totaling $550. Does this sound correct? Is the employee responsible in Florida for the cost of an ambulance they did not call, but the employer did?

I just don't want to pay before I find out, as this is so different than my last employer.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
Unless it was due to an on the job accident or injury, no.

It was a personal problem thus your expense. You passed out. Would you have preferred the left you there?

Did they deduct the time off from your salary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
In North Carolina, if we (the employer) called an ambulance to take one of our employees from our work facility to the hospital, we (the employer) paid for it, as we called for it.

Well, my last day of employment here in Florida ended up with me having passed out and the company calling an ambulance. Somehow my insurance was charged, they paid a small percentage and the ambulance company billed me for the balance totaling $550. Does this sound correct? Is the employee responsible in Florida for the cost of an ambulance they did not call, but the employer did?

I just don't want to pay before I find out, as this is so different than my last employer.

Thx

Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,914,273 times
It may not be right, but it's the way it works. The only exception is if the injury or illness falls under Workers Comp.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:

Thx
It's been my experience that the guy riding in the ambulance as the patient is the one who gets the bill, regardless of who called for the ambulance or why they did. Your insurance may pay some of that bill, but you'll be responsible for any amount over that. And believe me, the ambulance companies ( or the municipality if it's a county fire rescue vehicle) wants every dime of what they charged.

Just be grateful it wasn't a Life Flight or other or other helicopter ambulance. That can set you back as much as $17,000......or so I have heard.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It's been my experience that the guy riding in the ambulance as the patient is the one who gets the bill, regardless of who called for the ambulance or why they did. Your insurance may pay some of that bill, but you'll be responsible for any amount over that. And believe me, the ambulance companies ( or the municipality if it's a county fire rescue vehicle) wants every dime of what they charged.

Just be grateful it wasn't a Life Flight or other or other helicopter ambulance. That can set you back as much as $17,000......or so I have heard.
It's okay, though. The US Healthcare system is fine the way it is

Old 09-17-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Thx. Just wanted to know before paying, as this is the opposite of how we did it in NC. I plan on calling my insurance company to find out why they paid so little on this one before I pay. They have been paying great on everything else. Managing all the medical charges and insurance payments I have been going through is becoming a full-time job itself.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Thx. Just wanted to know before paying, as this is the opposite of how we did it in NC. I plan on calling my insurance company to find out why they paid so little on this one before I pay. They have been paying great on everything else. Managing all the medical charges and insurance payments I have been going through is becoming a full-time job itself.
Sorry you have to deal with all that on top of an illness. I wish you well on both accounts.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,786,208 times
Quote:

Thx
"Somehow" they charged your insurance? Did you wake up at the hospital and give them your information? Or did someone in your family come there and give the insurance cards etc? Is this employer provided policy or your own personal policy?

It has nothing to do with employer / employee just the policy the person has. It would be in your insurance policy if ambulances are covered and how much. Unless it's workman's comp. Then it's the employer's workman's comp insurance that pays whatever they're supposed to pay.

It sounds like your NC POLICY was different. The person who calls the ambulance isn't the one who pays regardless of the state. I owned a store and didn't offer healthcare and would never pay for an ambulance if someone fainted there. That's not how insurance works. The state doesn't get involved in payments unless they're paying the bill. Like welfare/medicaid, medicare etc. YET. When Obamacare kicks in and there's a board approving "limits" all bets are off.

Right. Don't just "pay it". Call your insurance company and see why it's so much. Is it because you used an "off network" ambulance company or did some pencil pusher decide it was not medically necessary so charged you a bigger co pay or something. You have to read your policy FIRST to see what is covered.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
"Somehow" they charged your insurance? Did you wake up at the hospital and give them your information? Or did someone in your family come there and give the insurance cards etc? Is this employer provided policy or your own personal policy?

It has nothing to do with employer / employee just the policy the person has. It would be in your insurance policy if ambulances are covered and how much. Unless it's workman's comp. Then it's the employer's workman's comp insurance that pays whatever they're supposed to pay.

It sounds like your NC POLICY was different. The person who calls the ambulance isn't the one who pays regardless of the state. I owned a store and didn't offer healthcare and would never pay for an ambulance if someone fainted there. That's not how insurance works. The state doesn't get involved in payments unless they're paying the bill. Like welfare/medicaid, medicare etc. YET. When Obamacare kicks in and there's a board approving "limits" all bets are off.

Right. Don't just "pay it". Call your insurance company and see why it's so much. Is it because you used an "off network" ambulance company or did some pencil pusher decide it was not medically necessary so charged you a bigger co pay or something. You have to read your policy FIRST to see what is covered.
My guess is they got my medical insurance info from the hospital, as I had already been in and out many times. I was unconscious, so I did not give it to them.

In NC, I was part of the safety committee for our company, and we did indeed pay every single time we called an ambulance. It may have just been a company decision, but that is what we did. We never wanted a situation where decisions had to be made on someone's health. We just called and got them the help right away.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 AM

652 posts, read 1,643,612 times
Quote:

Thx
Just tell them you can't afford it and you can only pay $10 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: