Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Well here in Naples teachers just got an approved 7.2% raise. But with the COL in these parts they'll still have to choose between food and bills
What is the median teacher salary there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 08:29 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I can understand that. But given the current state of this economy and the jobs and business-destroying policies of the current administration, do you really believe the outlook and prospects of folks in other states are any better than what you describe in Florida? When those jobs touted by the administration are in fact minimum wage jobs, part-time jobs, with layoffs and cutbacks in hours rampant among many employers, all over the country?
On a whole? No, because what you say is correct, it's just that in my part of Florida the COL is very high and people want to move here with little to no idea on what's in store for them. I cannot say all of Florida has high COL, one can go from here to Melbourne and rent a nice detached home for the price of a 1 bedroom apartment and get by on less income but often it's all relative, lower COL lower pay, maybe too low to save for the future...paycheck to paycheck.

The biggest bubble I see coming is SS and the fact people are not saving money like their grandparents or parents generation, on average people are not saving like they use to, many cannot because wages are behind the times, and COL is too high and a lot just spend, spend, spend, need the latest Smartphone, new car, latest handbag, shoes and etc. Whether by peer pressure or a reason to impress people you do not know, I cannot say but it's a bubble that will pop sooner or later and the system will not be able to take care of them all.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Sadly, real incomes have stagnated for most workers across the country for decades.

It's only gotten worse as companies realized during the recession that they can get more work out of less people, for less money. And they'll continue to whine that they lack the confidence to hire while they rake records profits in through the backdoor.

If only were were lucky enough to have a resource-extraction economy like Texas or North Dakota.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138

The biggest bubble I see coming is SS and the fact people are not saving money like their grandparents or parents generation, on average people are not saving like they use to, many cannot because wages are behind the times, and COL is too high and a lot just spend, spend, spend, need the latest Smartphone, new car, latest handbag, shoes and etc. Whether by peer pressure or a reason to impress people you do not know, I cannot say but it's a bubble that will pop sooner or later and the system will not be able to take care of them all.

The paradox of the modern economy in America is that the whole thing is DEPENDENT on credit and spending.

If every American started socking away 20% of their income, the economy would literally collapse.

No spending --> no jobs --> no money --> no spending --> no jobs -------->

I blame a system designed solely for maximizing profits and satisfying shareholders.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The paradox of the modern economy in America is that the whole thing is DEPENDENT on credit and spending.

If every American started socking away 20% of their income, the economy would literally collapse.

I blame a system designed solely for maximizing profits and satisfying shareholders.
I think I just saw a flock of flying pigs passing by my window!!!!!
Pass the prozack, I agree with TriMT7

Would an engineer design a plane without wings?
A car without a gas tank??

I simply cannot understand basing our 'system' and financial well-being on buying stuff~lots of unecassary stuff, and then engineering severe hardship onto a large part of the population making it so they cannot partake of the necassary consumerism/stuff-buying process. As a pragmatic realist, I think this is what we can expect for a looooong time to come.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Thanks for the links. I was thinking that in my post, but decided not to open that can of worms, LOL.

But it's true!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

There is a difference though, excessive spending vs spending...that is needs vs wants. Most people do not need what they buy, they just want it and credit cards or money that could be saved is used to help get it. False sense of financial freedom.

20% is a bit extreme, more like 10% maybe more if you can afford it starting in your 20's. With what student loan debt is and the overall COL, most will find it difficult to save that if they are on their own. A few of my full timers, mid 20's still live at home, and do not opt into the 401K we offer with great matching because they would rather take that money and blow it on stuff that will be out of date or style in a month or drive a new upper class luxury car they cannot really afford or need.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
On a whole? No, because what you say is correct, it's just that in my part of Florida the COL is very high and people want to move here with little to no idea on what's in store for them. I cannot say all of Florida has high COL, one can go from here to Melbourne and rent a nice detached home for the price of a 1 bedroom apartment and get by on less income but often it's all relative, lower COL lower pay, maybe too low to save for the future...paycheck to paycheck.

I have to agree with everything you've said. We lived in Miami for 35+ years, and my last job took me to most of the southeast coast, so I can verify your comments about the high COL in those counties, and agree that the salaries most often don't match that COL. And unfortunately that mentality of instant gratification with the latest and greatest "must have" is just as rampant among the folks in that location as it looks to be all over the country, and no, the system won't sustain the combination ad infinitum.

I'm just wondering if the folks you speak of who just figure they'll move to "paradise" (south Florida or wherever it may be) and somehow everything they dream of or want will come to them, with little or no effort on their part isn't part of that entitlement attitude, and that lack of work and planning will get them in trouble anywhere they go.

We moved to the southwest coast of FL and find the COL less in this area, but the salaries, I believe, are even lower than they in south Florida- although depending on the job, not so much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd discourage anyone looking to move to this area ( or anywhere,,actually) without a game plan and a firm job offer, as the jobs do tend to be minimum wage, or even if they aren't, they're dependent on the snowbird season- even in healthcare.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Take your blinders off. The entire U.S. is in the same boat and has been.

Income is stagnant EVERYWHERE. If you are having a tough go at it South FL, maybe you should broaden your horizons some.

American Incomes: Stagnant » FITSNews

U.S. Incomes Seen Stagnant Through 2021 - WSJ.com

http://www.millenniumforums.com/show...or-gt-25-years

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
But not for all;

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...lity.html?_r=0

1981 was the beginning of the strangulation of the middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida