Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times

Advertisements

Now after 2+ school years for both of my kids I have seen it first hand.

My oldest just received her FCAT papers and frankly all the negatives about Florida schools comes down to poor parenting and poor school choices.

Both my kids have had some great teachers. Both feel many of the teachers here are even better then they had in Ohio.

Now for the facts.

My oldest is ranked in the top 1% across the entire state and is ranked no 2 in her entire class at a school with 400 kids in her grade.

She was 10 and 22 points from having perfect scores on 2 areas and the third she was 32 points from having a perfect fcat score.

Her scores were of course at the highest level you can get for all Florida test results.

She has done amazing.

We have received many notes from teacher here who have went out of their way to praise her for her work effort, skills, attitude and helping of others.

Sure she takes a honors classes and usually only has to deal with exceptional kids who actually behave and want to be something in their life.

Those kids who are not doing well. It comes down to us seeing the issue is mostly parenting. You cannot teach your kids anything from the couch every night. And it is not the schools job, it is your job first and then working with the schools to make sure your kids has the opportunity to succeed.

My youngest was the first ever in her schools history according to the principle to ace 2 tests last year and received a written letter from the school board, principle and teachers of her accomplishment in doing so.

She will be taking her first FCAT this year.

I am lucky to have two talented and bright kids but it comes down to again poor parenting is what I see personally that has an major impact on the kids here in Florida.

Get off your butt and work with your kids. Show them work ethic, responsibility, praise them for a job well done and direct them to their future and it will pay off.

All I heard for years is if your kids did well up north do not bring them to Florida.

Total BS folks. If the parent has an opportunity to put those kids in the best school district with some good teachers and you are involved 100% they will do just as well if not better.

If your kid is failing or not doing well, look in the mirror. Stop blaming the state, teachers etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 05:10 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
It's been pretty well established by sources like Education Week that Florida's schools aren't as poor as the age-old stereotype makes them out to be, ranking Florida #6 overall in 2013. The only place where the state lags in the varying composites used for the overall score is in "Chances For Success" which is based on income level, parental employment and parental education which in a low income/overall not highly educated state like Florida drags down the typical indicators for kids who normally succeed. Unfortunately that's likely to continue as the brighter kids who go on to college and graduate are less likely to stay since we don't have enough skilled jobs to support them.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Wow tl;dr post there.

Like any other place, you can find both good and bad schools. I live in Rocket Scientist Land, and the top tier of students from the local high school is generally Ivy bound or Ivy-equivalent every year, and we always seem to have an Intel national science fair finalist in the running.

Go about a mile east of my house, and you're in the next county over. There, secondary schools are pretty awful, and many parents who can wrangle transportation are quick to get an attendance waiver into Niceville area schools (oddly, it's more acceptable to say it's for sports reasons than academic ones) or go the charter school route once elementary school finishes up.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 7,189 times
They are still pretty bad. You've got the money and time to give your kids a good chance, and even in a place like Peru that would mean a lot. Florida overall is still a low income backwater.

Living in Florida reminds me of why it's ok to pay more elsewhere. You really do get what you pay for.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post

My oldest just received her FCAT papers and frankly all the negatives about Florida schools comes down to poor parenting and poor school choices.

Both my kids have had some great teachers. Both feel many of the teachers here are even better then they had in Ohio.

Now for the facts.

My oldest is ranked in the top 1% across the entire state and is ranked no 2 in her entire class at a school with 400 kids in her grade.

She was 10 and 22 points from having perfect scores on 2 areas and the third she was 32 points from having a perfect fcat score.

Her scores were of course at the highest level you can get for all Florida test results.

She has done amazing.

We have received many notes from teacher here who have went out of their way to praise her for her work effort, skills, attitude and helping of others.

Sure she takes a honors classes and usually only has to deal with exceptional kids who actually behave and want to be something in their life.

Those kids who are not doing well. It comes down to us seeing the issue is mostly parenting. You cannot teach your kids anything from the couch every night. And it is not the schools job, it is your job first and then working with the schools to make sure your kids has the opportunity to succeed.

My youngest was the first ever in her schools history according to the principle to ace 2 tests last year and received a written letter from the school board, principle and teachers of her accomplishment in doing so.

She will be taking her first FCAT this year.

I am lucky to have two talented and bright kids but it comes down to again poor parenting is what I see personally that has an major impact on the kids here in Florida.

Get off your butt and work with your kids. Show them work ethic, responsibility, praise them for a job well done and direct them to their future and it will pay off.

All I heard for years is if your kids did well up north do not bring them to Florida.

Total BS folks. If the parent has an opportunity to put those kids in the best school district with some good teachers and you are involved 100% they will do just as well if not better.

If your kid is failing or not doing well, look in the mirror. Stop blaming the state, teachers etc.
Talk to me when your child is 17 and applying to top colleges.

Florida ranks 42//51 in average SAT score. Commonwealth Foundation - SAT Scores by State 2012. It also ranked very low in average ACT score. 2012 ACT National and State Scores | Average Scores by State | ACT

Being the best in a low performing state may not be that great when your child is competing for college admissions and scholarships against high achieving students from other states where the averages are higher. You really need to look at where your child stands in national testing, not state testing.

I am sure your child is very bright. FL schools do not stack up well against the rest of the country.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post

Now for the facts.

She has done amazing.

FCAT Meh. Ever hear the expression "teaching to the test"? And that's not a knock on FL public schools but all public schools alike. I figured out a while ago I'm looking for more than any public school is going to offer.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM

102 posts, read 185,761 times
The pinnacle of ignorance is the movement and proposed legislation against switching Florida schools from Sunshine State Standards to Common Core base upon allegations of communist ties and governmental intrusion. Yup, lets keep our own **** poor standards here in Florida so our kids can't compete in a national setting. The Florida education system is horrid.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
How then do you explain a #6 ranking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg[pqp View Post
They are still pretty bad. You've got the money and time to give your kids a good chance, and even in a place like Peru that would mean a lot. Florida overall is still a low income backwater.

Living in Florida reminds me of why it's ok to pay more elsewhere. You really do get what you pay for.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:17 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
I don't necessarily agree with the original post, but I do agree that our schools here are excellent. The op makes it sound like the schools don't matter and it's all on the parents to educate their children. I think the schools do matter greatly. Our district ranks 11th in the state and I am more than pleased with the education my children are getting here. I find the teachers and district to be motivated and innovative. I believe my children are getting a better education than they were in Ohio.

Last edited by Sheepie2000; 09-20-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How then do you explain a #6 ranking?
Where is the 6 ranking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida