Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,072,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
try first floridian insurance...mine went up a ton, but at least they are reputable...i agree...this does stink, but we continue to pay and pay...same with property taxes...anyone got a plan B?
Well since we're already paid up we'll just leave it at that rather than fight to get our money back. What else can we do but pay what they tell us we have to. That's what the insurance companies like is we have no other choices. I hope to move from FL next summer anyways hopefully before i need to renew my insurance and take on another increase.

I just don't understand why the insurances say they are hurting from the years of hurricanes. What about all those years nothing happened and they were just pocketing all the money. Some of them even having policies in other states. There were many more years for them to pocket money when we had no MAJOR storms. Now all it takes is one storm and they cry for survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:46 AM

132 posts, read 470,358 times
I agree....one storm and everything quadruples and gets cancelled!!! I have paid insurance for 30+ years on my home and have had 1 claim for a couple of screens and some minor wind damage. I think the cost was like 1,000. This was abou 6 years ago. So, how many are like me and never had a claim and they can justify the crazy increases! same with property taxes....why???? a lot of other states are surviving just fine on much lower taxes...but they see a sucker coming, I guess..I dunno!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:23 AM

518 posts, read 2,218,459 times
Some breaking news on the insurance front ...

State rejects Allstate Floridian bid to boost homeowner insurance rates

Insurer sought to raise premiums 43.4% statewide

By Kathy Bushouse
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty on Friday denied a request by Allstate Floridian Insurance Co. to raise customers' rates, saying the company didn't pass along enough savings to customers when it cut rates earlier in the year and didn't adequately justify an increase.

Allstate Floridian, the state's fourth-largest property insurer, wanted to boost prices by a statewide average of 43.4 percent, after cutting them by 14.2 percent earlier this year. That cut wasn't deep enough, based on changes the Legislature made in January to allow companies easier access to backup catastrophe coverage from the Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund, McCarty said in a statement.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:23 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,266,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Some breaking news on the insurance front ...

State rejects Allstate Floridian bid to boost homeowner insurance rates

Insurer sought to raise premiums 43.4% statewide

By Kathy Bushouse
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty on Friday denied a request by Allstate Floridian Insurance Co. to raise customers' rates, saying the company didn't pass along enough savings to customers when it cut rates earlier in the year and didn't adequately justify an increase.

Allstate Floridian, the state's fourth-largest property insurer, wanted to boost prices by a statewide average of 43.4 percent, after cutting them by 14.2 percent earlier this year. That cut wasn't deep enough, based on changes the Legislature made in January to allow companies easier access to backup catastrophe coverage from the Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund, McCarty said in a statement.
Thanks for the info. It is so ridiculous that they wanted to raise their rates that high and it is even worse that they thought the state would agree to it!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:01 PM

192 posts, read 855,474 times
Quote:

Allstate Floridian, the state's fourth-largest property insurer, wanted to boost prices by a statewide average of 43.4 percent, after cutting them by 14.2 percent earlier this year. That cut wasn't deep enough, based on changes the Legislature made in January to allow companies easier access to backup catastrophe coverage from the Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund, McCarty said in a statement
Isn't this the reason they keep giving so they can quit writing business here. Oh we can't afford to insure homes in FL if we can't raise rates, but we would love to insure your car, BTW got money you want to invest we will be happy to sell you annuities.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:58 PM

66 posts, read 319,149 times
I had good luck with a website called The Home Insurance Buyers Guide:

Florida Homeowners Insurance - Home Insurance Buyers Guide

The site tells you exactly who is writing new Florida homeowners insurance in your county, and how to find agents for them.

It also lets you rate your satisfaction with your company on a 1-10 scale.

What I really like that fits with this thread is that they are collecting bottom line cost information by company so that in the future we will be able to see who offers the cheapest Florida home insurance "after mitigation discounts".

Some of these companies give ridiculously cheap discounts in exchange for thousands of dollars in upgrades!

Old 11-25-2007, 05:10 PM

54 posts, read 316,101 times
15 years ago I was cancelled by Allstate when the state wouldn't let them increase rates, shortly after Allstate Floridian sent me a letter and said I could insure with them, at about twice the Allstate premium. I decided to go with Horace Mann, paid my premiums until they cancelled after the two bad years of hurricanes which we didn't have a claim. Only claim we ever had was for a well pump and garage door opener a lightning strike took out. Just bought a new tv with money I saved by not insuring, needed tv due to a lightning strike, who says lightning doesn't strike twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida