Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:40 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon576 View Post
I said the thread was closed, thank you.
This thread is not closed, it is still open and anyone can post on it.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 PM

29 posts, read 99,280 times
Default ok so?

Do you have any other relevant comments? Because I opened the thread and I respectfully read everyone's comments and I'm satisfied with all the tips. I don't know what else is there to be commented.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Very true. People need to realize this is not the good old days or the wild west. We have a right to defend ourselves and our property, but today's legal culture sets distinct limits.

This notion that we can point/shoot guns or sic attack dogs on anyone on or near our property is wrong. The law, both civil and criminal, makes it clear that we need to use these tactics as a last resort, under clear immediate danger, when other options are not available.

Think about it. As a homeowner you have built up assets, you have a lot to lose. Using an attack dog on "anybody who sets foot on my property" would result in a clear lawsuit and perhaps criminal charges. They will garnish your wages and hassle you forever to collect. You will very likely be charged and have all the hassles associated with lost work defending yourself in a criminal case.

We all want to protect our property, but some of this advice is a ticket to nothing but trouble.
You Don't really need a killer dog, just a little noisy dog that barks. Most thieves aren't looking to confront anyone and a noisy dog usually does the trick.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 PM

thank you, I changed my mind on the dog, I'm going to install ADT system.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:09 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon576 View Post
thank you, I changed my mind on the dog, I'm going to install ADT system.
I will tell you one thing I would like you to do. Install a lock on the inside of your bedroom door. Thieves don't break in through bedroom windows they come where they won't run into anyone. You want sort of a safe room where if you think someone has broken into your house they can't get to you very easily. and you call for help.

It can be a dead bolt with a keyed lock or just a simple slide bolt you can get for a few dollars. I have a dead bolt on both my hallway door and bedroom door that is locked at night. If someone gets into the house they can't get at us without kicking down two doors. I was in the bar business at one time and also a gambler and people know you have money around, or at least they assume it and I used to be a little paranoid. I got that tip from a professional security expert.

I was in a house that belonged to a big time drug dealer once and he had all steel doors between every room and when you entered through the front door you had to enter a second door that he activated from inside. For the few seconds before he let you in he had you trapped in the vestibule. You could not get in or leave, it was interesting.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:18 PM

I live in a double wide trailer, it's not a sturdy house. It's a 1988 model so the windows and doors are very easy to break in. I could kick any door myself and it would break open. My husband and I went to Wal Mart today to look at these slide bolts to install in the back and front door, at least it would give extra protection. We're seriously giving thought to changing ALL the windows. These 1980's windows are very fragile. We need something stronger than that.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Thread closed per OP request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida