Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
To each his own. Like it or not FL is in the deep south. I love FL but there is no way I would live anywhere south of Ft. Pierce. You could draw a line right across the state from Ft. Pierce to Sarasota. and I wouldnt consider anything south of that line. Hey, that's just what I like. I don't expect everybody to agree with that opinion. If S. FL is what you like, more power to you!
Florida is not the deep south, although people do keep saying it... I thought I was living in NY and NJ or anywhere else up North, Certainly not the south..Now my hubby has a co worker in Jacksonville and he says that part is southern...No clue as I have not visited or lived other than South Florida and St Pete and Clearwater...I live in NC and they call this the south...I have my own opinion about that one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
The majority of the population where you lived may have been from the north giving you the feeling of being elsewhere. You may be having the same experience where you are now. One has to look beyond their own backyard to know a place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Florida is not the deep south, although people do keep saying it... I thought I was living in NY and NJ or anywhere else up North, Certainly not the south..Now my hubby has a co worker in Jacksonville and he says that part is southern...No clue as I have not visited or lived other than South Florida and St Pete and Clearwater...I live in NC and they call this the south...I have my own opinion about that one...

Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
The majority of the population where you lived may have been from the north giving you the feeling of being elsewhere. You may be having the same experience where you are now. One has to look beyond their own backyard to know a place.
Yes very true Spring...its quite Northern here too so to speak, but not to say there are so many people from all over...

Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
To each his own. Like it or not FL is in the deep south. I love FL but there is no way I would live anywhere south of Ft. Pierce. You could draw a line right across the state from Ft. Pierce to Sarasota. and I wouldnt consider anything south of that line. Hey, that's just what I like. I don't expect everybody to agree with that opinion. If S. FL is what you like, more power to you!

Exactly. Which is why my own post shouldn't rankle the feathers of any "north of I-4ers,"... just my opinion and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince
We have a great time here in East Central Florida and have never had any desire to live further south. I've worked in the West Palm, Miami, Kendall and Key West areas and to me, they were all depressing except for Key West. SFL is a nice area to visit for a few days, but gets old REALLY fast. I'd take the Florida Keys / KW any day over the fake boobs and Botox scenes of Miami.

Miami is not for me, either. Which is why I don't live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince
I agree, if your looking for clubs and the party crowd then E-CFL is definitely not the place to be. But then again, we're not adults trying to act like teenagers either, attempting to relive our 20's by clubbing every night. We have the best mix of everything here, with the party scene being less than an hour away and suitable for most everyone except for maybe P-Diddy and the Kardashians (and thats not a bad thing).

Who are you agreeing with?

Enjoying larger city amenities and a more urban lifestyle does not = "clubbing" all the time.

And honestly, depressing? You haven't seen depressing until you've spent too much time on the Space Coast in a place like Titusville.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: advertising/spam

Old 11-11-2013, 11:50 AM

153 posts, read 357,801 times
Quote:
And honestly, depressing? You haven't seen depressing until you've spent too much time on the Space Coast in a place like Titusville.
Just like you previously stated, "Which is why I don't live there", I agree but for different reasons. Just because I do not want to live there doesn't mean that its a boring or depressing area, its just not our preference to live there for our own reasons. Labeling the entire region as "boring" is a ignorant statement, but who needs to post the truth on the internet anyway, right?

You seem to be really defensive about the semi urban lifestyle in SFL, as though no ones needs could be met without it. Urban, suburban, boring, depressing, SFL, ECFL, I-4 ...... really, who cares? Our needs are met perfectly here without the need to be in a semi urban environment, but if that suits you then good for you. No need for stone throwing.

SFL has plenty of areas similar to Titusville whether you care to admit it or not. Those who live in these so called "boring, depressing areas" probably love it there and I'm happy for them. Lifes all about forming your own opinions based off of personal experiences, so who would put any thought into your original, ignorant opinion about ECFL? Hopefully no one with any sense.

Whether its in ECFL, SFL or anywhere else that doesn't meet your higher lifestyle standards, "To each their own ..." is a concept that you may want to consider for the future.

AND THATS MY OPINION.

Last edited by Florida Vince; 11-11-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Great and again my comment was based on South Florida not where you live nor did I speak for the whole state of Florida, We lived in Palm Beach County in Boca Raton..I just looked at my policy for South Florida when we lived there and my apologies it was actually 6540.00/545 a month ..We pay 245.00 a month here in Charlotte so it is a significant different per month that we pay than opposed to South Florida..Biggest difference every 6 months the insurance went up in South Florida and here it does not..
We lived in south Florida (Miami)for many years, and for the last 10-15 years there, our insurance for three cars did not go up significantly if at all every six months as you say yours did. Our rates for three cars there was never above $2500 annually. That was with State Farm, and the rates were determined by a multiple insurance line ( including the cars and property insurance through Citizens' for windstorm); good drivers' and accident free records, the type of vehicles we had, and annual mileage. When we moved to SW Florida we kept the car insurance with the same State Farm agent in Miami.We lost the multi-line discount since we no longer have windstorm or homeowner's insurance with Citizen's- approximately $30-40 per vehicle, I think, but the insurance rates dropped due to the location of the cars in rural SW Florida now.

I'm not doubting that you paid a lot more for car insurance in SE Florida, I know a lot of people did. I just always figured we lucked out in what we paid for ours. I'm very familiar with driving in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, as my last job entailed driving to healthcare facilities in all those counties. I know how mind-numbing the traffic is, and how unpredictable and just plain nuts all too many of the drivers are in all of those areas. Would you believe that the last year of that job before I retired, I was rear-ended twice while I was stopped at a red light ( once in North Miami Beach and once in little Havana in Miami), and had an oblivious senior citizen (in Coral Springs- Broward County) back out of a parking space right into my car- I couldn't move to get out of his way due to two other senior citizens fighting over another space- this guy said he wondered why someone was blowing the horn- it was me trying to get his attention as he kept backing out of his parking space- he said he didn't see me! Fortunately there wasn't much damage and none of us wanted to bother with insurance claims.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM

173 posts, read 220,018 times
I hope not everyone does not think that all NewYorkers think they are better then anyone else. I think the problem is the New Yorkers that complain and put other places and people down are the ones that never left the block they lived on then decide to move 1000 miles away and wonder why its not the same and wonders why its so hot I mean its only Freaking Florida ! I guess it should be in the 30's

Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM

173 posts, read 220,018 times
I now live in CT and was raised in the BX and keep day dreaming about moving to FLA it won't happen for a long time. NYC is great for singles in their 20's or really wealthy people but once you are married and start a family what can you really do in Manhattan with Kids? BX,SI,Queens and most of BK are not places you can really raise a family .CT and NJ are nice and close to the City and you can raise a family but you still have the Winters and the rush all the time I rather see Palm trees and enjoying life Outdoors

Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM

31 posts, read 44,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vncks View Post
Part of this is because we live so damn good, that people can just pick up on a dime and go. If a place isn't a fit, so be it. Doesn't mean the place is bad. Doesn't mean the place is good. We have so much choice we are bound to have mistakes from time to time.

I do think that Florida is like a miniature America. And we live in a time when Americans have become straight out crazy. And therefore, Florida seems straight out crazy.
So is Florida as crazy as Michigan?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:04 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx10461 View Post
I now live in CT and was raised in the BX and keep day dreaming about moving to FLA it won't happen for a long time. NYC is great for singles in their 20's or really wealthy people but once you are married and start a family what can you really do in Manhattan with Kids? BX,SI,Queens and most of BK are not places you can really raise a family .CT and NJ are nice and close to the City and you can raise a family but you still have the Winters and the rush all the time I rather see Palm trees and enjoying life Outdoors
Keep the daydream...because once you have to deal the the ***holes that actually live here you will regret moving.

FL is good for one thing and that is weather for 4 months out of the year. Other than that it has NOTHING else to offer a productive human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida