Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 03:22 PM

155 posts, read 163,683 times

Advertisements

Just was wondering. Anybody eles that has file had problems with getting this insurance.
Im sick
And
Getting
Sicker

Ibe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 01:54 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,764 times
I think they routinely deny people, I know of someone with MS who had trouble getting it, but finally did with retroactive payments from when they applied.

I think there are agencies that can help people dispute the denial and SS has to pay for it, look into it.,

Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM

98 posts, read 291,245 times
Not sure what your ailment is but I have heard they will deny you twice, even if you are paralyzed. You then must go before the judge. That is where most people get approved. Make sure you have an attorney. In Florida and I believe all states, they are only allowed to make a certain dollar amount so it's not like they will take 30 or 40% of what you get from SSDI. If the judge grants you SSDI, they will also cut you a check dating back to the date you applied, I believe.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM

219 posts, read 676,972 times
ssdi will hold back the first5 months depending when you became disabled you will get a check up to the current month and will have to wait to the next month for your next check,you can earn up to 1080.00 i applied and it took 2 weeks and I was approved

Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
ssdi will hold back the first5 months depending when you became disabled you will get a check up to the current month and will have to wait to the next month for your next check,you can earn up to 1080.00 i applied and it took 2 weeks and I was approved
What on earth do you have that got you approved so quick? I can only imagine. I am so sorry for you having to deal with whatever condition caused your disability.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 PM

260 posts, read 908,994 times
My brother was also approved right away 8 years ago. He has degenerative bone disease in his spine. I asked him and he said he filled out the paperwork and his Dr signed it.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappy View Post
My brother was also approved right away 8 years ago. He has degenerative bone disease in his spine. I asked him and he said he filled out the paperwork and his Dr signed it.
That is what I have, with the worst disc being fully segregated and pushing into the main nerve root and surrounding the spinal cord, yet they denied me the first time so I lawyered up and he put in a reconsideration, which will most likely be denied and then we will have to wait a year or so for a hearing. And I have all the films showing the issues and multiple doctors explaining I am fully disabled.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
On the SS site there is a list of medical conditions that will most likely be approved quickly. Many of these conditions are terminal. Some are not like blindness. For most folks rejections are common, up to 3 rejections, 2-3 year wait. The rule of thumb is one can not be employable. There is mass confusing about SSDI and SSI. One is welfare, one is social security. Once approved, retro pay from the date of registration or last day at work will be paid. The amount of monthly payment is based on your projected income at retirement. There are no folks on SSDI at retirement age, that is because the classification changes from disabled to retirement. There is a two year wait for medicare. Another words if one was approved for SSDI very quickly, medicare will not be available for two years. If it took two years for SSDI approval, and because its retractive, medicare would then be available. Once approved one can move out of the country and collect SSDI (American approved nations) but medicare is not. There could be changes and exceptions I'm not aware of.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
On the SS site there is a list of medical conditions that will most likely be approved quickly. Many of these conditions are terminal. Some are not like blindness. For most folks rejections are common, up to 3 rejections, 2-3 year wait. The rule of thumb is one can not be employable. There is mass confusing about SSDI and SSI. One is welfare, one is social security. Once approved, retro pay from the date of registration or last day at work will be paid. The amount of monthly payment is based on your projected income at retirement. There are no folks on SSDI at retirement age, that is because the classification changes from disabled to retirement. There is a two year wait for medicare. Another words if one was approved for SSDI very quickly, medicare will not be available for two years. If it took two years for SSDI approval, and because its retractive, medicare would then be available. Once approved one can move out of the country and collect SSDI (American approved nations) but medicare is not. There could be changes and exceptions I'm not aware of.
My condition is clearly labeled on their site, I have the MRI images showing just how bad it is, have gone through multiple failed treatments, multiple doctors have documented I am 100% disabled and yet I was declined in 3 weeks. This forces one to basically lawyer up, so someone is fighting for you who knows how to work within the system itself.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
My condition is clearly labeled on their site, I have the MRI images showing just how bad it is, have gone through multiple failed treatments, multiple doctors have documented I am 100% disabled and yet I was declined in 3 weeks. This forces one to basically lawyer up, so someone is fighting for you who knows how to work within the system itself.
To be on the safe side, that is correct. That is what I did when my wife was first denied, hire the best SS lawyer in my area. My wife was rejected twice, on the third it was approved. She has a rare neurological disease which made everything more complicated because it is rare, and its not on the SS list. It seems some states make it much tougher for those in serious need to acquire SSDI. PriusH8r, if not employable, condition listed on the site, first rejection, get a lawyer. However, my hunch is if all your ducks are in order, you'd most likely be approved your second time, which takes about a year between rejections. But why chance it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida