Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,339 times

Advertisements

My mouth is watering from reading this thread.

Orange juice should be your beverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
As you enter FL, one of the rest stops gives you a choice of o. juice or grapefruit juice, it's definitely welcoming ;-)

Maybe some kind of mango and/or pineapple salsa w/ avocado flavored corn chips, should be pretty easy to make (buy the c. chips). FIsh tacos w/ mango and/or pineapple salsa etc might work too, s/b simple to make. Fruit salad/ambrosia (1 cup mandarin oranges, 1 cup cut-up pineapple, 1 cup mini-marshmallows, 1 cup sour cream, coconut flakes etc (it's prob. not authentically Floridian but seems like it w/b tropical). Also, maybe some kind of coconut pie or cake or candy would be doable (and simple).

Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
Any Cuban foods
Key lime pie
Conch fritters, fried shrimp and any other seafoods
Orange & coconut juice
Fruits- mangos, avacado, oranges, etc
Southern cuisine

Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Go to any fish house along the coast thats what I consider authentic Florida.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Seafood and fried chicken.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:47 PM

57 posts, read 113,736 times
grits and grunts! Doesn't get any more floridian than that.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:37 PM

184 posts, read 244,728 times
Yes, don't forget Florida is southern, too. Fried/smoked mullet, shrimp and grits, dried beans with a hamhock for flavor, biscuits, perch, seafood = scallops (bay), mullet, shrimp, blue crabs, local fish. IF u are traveling, some of the "country" food restaurants have examples. I had one of the best native seafood dinners in Ozello, fla, near Homassasa Springs - Peck's Port of Call restaurant. It's mid state on the west coast and a bit far for me to leave Tampa and go there often. But it was seafood like "old florida". It is an amazing ride out to the place, going thru low area on ocean. You almost give up and there it is !! The whole area in Citrus county has lots of outdoor activities, sites. Sorry for the departure on topic, but this thread made me think of it and now I'm hungry for it. All the best.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:15 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Not sure if carrot cake could be considered Floridian.

The only time we had key lime pie or carrot cake was when we came to Florida!!

Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I recommend reading Cross Creek Cookery by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. It's a wonderful cookbook full of early Florida recipes along with great writing. She has recipes for squirrel, gator, bear, hearts of palm and much more as well as more standard fare. It's one of my favorite books. You should visit her property if you're ever in that area. Great homeschool field trip.
OMG, I was going to say the same thing. That's an awesome book, I re-read it every once in a while.

Frogs' legs are another Florida food, believe it or not.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:42 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I recommend reading Cross Creek Cookery by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. It's a wonderful cookbook full of early Florida recipes along with great writing. She has recipes for squirrel, gator, bear, hearts of palm and much more as well as more standard fare. It's one of my favorite books. You should visit her property if you're ever in that area. Great homeschool field trip.
Another more modern option that incorporates the new ethnic influences around the state is Miami Spice by Steven Raichlen. It has some great recipes and educational/historic references to go along with.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Xk...page&q&f=false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida