Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

Depends on if you like your family or not........or if visiting often is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM

440 posts, read 595,286 times
This is the problem i run into also because i'm trying to move to Tampa, but my parents are getting up there in age and even though they might be healthy now, there is always that possibility something could happen and i wouldn't be able to be there for them right away. However, i do kind of have the benefit of them being snowbirds, so they'll be visiting for the long winter months staying in either Naples or Sarasota so that should help. Sometimes when it comes to having a better quality of life, you have to be a little selfish and make a move that will make that happen. I have a feeling that when i do move, family will come to see me, especially in the winter. When you live somewhere like FL, people will come to see you since after all, their vacation is your home

Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
With my godparents living in Florida, and the open invitation to visit and stay with them (or at one of their rentals) at any time, I envisioned being a regular guest. It rarely happened- when they moved to the sunshine state, they started a new life, and so did I (we). I still had to work, raise my own family, appease the in-laws, and absorb all the responsibilities of being a son, father, spouse, in-law, property owner, coach, student, landlord, et al. It sounds so easy when someone tells you to "just hop on a plane"- but that just is not reality for most of us. The OP was right when considering the plight of his parents, as it becomes very difficult to be there immediately for them (or for them to be there for you), when a crisis arises. When given the choice, I chose to stay where I was raised, and I do have some regrets. My godfather died last year, and he never really had the chance to know my/his whole family, nor did they ever have the chance to truly know this fine man. On the other hand, I was there for my mother as her health and independence declined- for that, I am grateful that I did not eventually move away.

Given the choice of family, or location, I believe that family needs the most prominent consideration. This is especially true for the individuals with parents, children, or grandchildren living hundreds of miles away.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
My kids are teens right now and we are already prepared to move wherever they end up during after college. So we will be moving wherever they put down their roots. At the same time keep a home here in Florida if Florida is not where they end up for all of us to enjoy.
Move when they're in college? You're kidding me, right? Why do you have to move to where they are? Is this what is called "helicopter parents"?

Old 10-12-2013, 09:22 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Move when they're in college? You're kidding me, right? Why do you have to move to where they are? Is this what is called "helicopter parents"?
I was thinking the same thing. I would kill my parents if they followed me to where ever I went after college. I'm an adult, visiting is good enough. Dear lord, I hope that poster's kids are in on this plan.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
If we moved to where our kids are, we would have to have homes in NYC, Seattle, and Richmond, Virginia.

My husband is my family. We live in South Florida. Our family visits all the time.

Personally, I would never stay somewhere just because my friends and family are there.

We moved from Myrtle Beach to Sarasota, Florida, then over to Fort Lauderdale. We have three different sets of friends that have moved down from Myrtle Beach and four other sets of friends that have second homes in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:52 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times
Personally, Ive chosen to stay in Florida my entire life because of family. Now Im starting to realize that I need to move my little family to where we want to live and we will come back to visit the family that is still here or they can come visit us if they'd like to. It is a harder choice when children are involved and its the very much involved grandparents you are leaving (that is my case)...but I think it is best to be where you, your significant other, and your children are going to be happy, regardless if thats where family and friends are.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:57 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
OP, you need to be happy. Your relationship needs to work for your sake and the sake of your kids. You and your wife need to find happiness in eachother and where u live.

If u are unhappy in Missouri... Is the marriage going to last?
If you move to FL-- you will be happier? And if u are will that not translate to your relationship with your wife? Happiness breeds happiness? Misery *cough I mean Missouri.... sounds dredful. You need to find your happiness and everything else will fall into place.

I say u move back to FL.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Because 1. I can afford it and 2. Want to always be there for them and they both have asked no matter what college they go to we will be close by.

We are a very close family and our discussions are that we will be close by each other.

Might not be for you and that is ok.

Most people cannot just up and go when their kids are in college so most would not understand.

We are lucky enough that we can so we will.

Something wrong with that?

Helicopter parents? never heard of that one.

Or we could be like some parents and cannot wait till their kids are 18 and gone. But that is not us.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Family. There are many places I would much rather live than where I am now (Houston), but family comes first in my eyes. The only people on Earth I can count on to have my back are family.

That's one thing I really dislike about society today. Families just don't stick together anymore. Everyone is off doing their own thing, living all over the country pursuing their own selfish interests. Screw spending time with your aging parents, taking care of them, and savoring every last minute with them before they are gone. Just stick them in a nursing home and forget about them. Everything is me, me, me, me, me nowadays.

Skype? Facebook? Two or three plane trips a year? No way. Nothing beats face to face interaction on a regular basis with the people you should value most.
Boy is this ever true.......;
Mikeinbirmingham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida