Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM

384 posts, read 286,371 times

Advertisements

Try the east coast especially Brevard`County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:39 PM

360 posts, read 1,907,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
While a lot of this is greatly exaggerated, there is a lot of truth to it as well. Year after year in SW Florida DOES get old, and I lived in a much nicer city (Sarasota) than where the original poster is looking to move to. It is very hot and humid in this area, and I don't think North Port has a lot of good positive things going for it right now. It can't be overstated how the snowbirds clog up the roads and restaurants half the year as well. I much prefer living in a more "normal" type inland community. FringednFab -I know you are enthusiastic, but you really need to do your homework and figure out what the reality of day-to-day living here is like. Florida is a BIG state, and I think there are much better areas to move to, just my personal opinion.
I appreciate all the helpful advice. What's selling me on North Port is the house you get for the money. And I like the fact it's still close to beaches, but not right ON the beach. Bars and nightlife aren't that big a deal really, since I don't go out now, up here in Ohio. And I'd rather watch a movie at home, than go see one. I understand Florida gets hot, but have you guys been up here in Ohio in recent summers??? It's a friggin frying pan!! And it's just HOT. We don't get moderate springtime anymore, it jumps from 60 to 90 the rest of summer. At least Florida is surrounded by water! and natures air conditioning. Ohio is just hot. Hot and humid too. I also won't miss having to wake up extra early and spend about 45 minutes digging myself out and defrosting a car at 5 15 am every morning, all winter. And the treacherous wintery roads up here. I think any state will have it's pro's and con's. But I will be wise and make a trip down before I jump on anything big. And spend a few days down there looking around. One thing I do know, I'm tired of Ohio! Been here long enough.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:12 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,434,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
I appreciate all the helpful advice. What's selling me on North Port is the house you get for the money. And I like the fact it's still close to beaches, but not right ON the beach. Bars and nightlife aren't that big a deal really, since I don't go out now, up here in Ohio. And I'd rather watch a movie at home, than go see one. I understand Florida gets hot, but have you guys been up here in Ohio in recent summers??? It's a friggin frying pan!! And it's just HOT. We don't get moderate springtime anymore, it jumps from 60 to 90 the rest of summer. At least Florida is surrounded by water! and natures air conditioning. Ohio is just hot. Hot and humid too. I also won't miss having to wake up extra early and spend about 45 minutes digging myself out and defrosting a car at 5 15 am every morning, all winter. And the treacherous wintery roads up here. I think any state will have it's pro's and con's. But I will be wise and make a trip down before I jump on anything big. And spend a few days down there looking around. One thing I do know, I'm tired of Ohio! Been here long enough.
I am originally from Ohio, Cincinnati, and I know where you're comin' from...that snow and cold and chipping that ice off of those windshields was exactly why I went to Florida!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,207,963 times
One thing you need to make sure you experience is commute times during rush hour. Especially this time of year.

I lived in North Port for 9 years, and moved 2 years ago. Unless you work fast food or at Wal Mart opportunities are scarce in North Port. You will be driving to Sarasota, a 45 minute drive on a good day depending on which end of North Port and which end of Sarasota.

Being able to afford the house was what took me there. I was miserable the entire time.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,434,461 times
You wanna talk about commute times. I live in Seattle and my commute is 2 hours and 10 minutes in the morning, and 2 hours and 20 minutes at night. Now that is one heck of a commute!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
One thing you need to make sure you experience is commute times during rush hour. Especially this time of year.

I lived in North Port for 9 years, and moved 2 years ago. Unless you work fast food or at Wal Mart opportunities are scarce in North Port. You will be driving to Sarasota, a 45 minute drive on a good day depending on which end of North Port and which end of Sarasota.

Being able to afford the house was what took me there. I was miserable the entire time.
Oh I'll have me a job in place most definitely, before I even head down there. As far as driving distance, I drive 45 minutes now to work up here in Ohio. So I'm used to that. But I'll have me a job in that particular area before I move. My employer has already been notified of my impending move and will help with any transfer when the time comes. Worst case scenario in 1 or 2 years time, if I got down there and decided Florida wasn't for me, I'd just move back up here. Ohio won't be closed. But I don't see myself ever moving back to here once gone. Change is good!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
You wanna talk about commute times. I live in Seattle and my commute is 2 hours and 10 minutes in the morning, and 2 hours and 20 minutes at night. Now that is one heck of a commute!
I think..... I'll stick to 45 minutes commute or under lol and no more! It's nice to meet someone who can relate to Ohio life too!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
Try the east coast especially Brevard`County
Eh, I would never live on the Atlantic side.... just a preference tho.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,640,056 times
i just moved from cinti ohio and totally understand what youre saying. it is alot better here in sooooooooo many ways! oh! i think you will love it! yes, change is good (especially change from cinti ohio-bleck).

Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,183,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Thats is an incredible amount of time. Over 80 unpaid hours a month dedicated to your job. How do you justify that? I just would not do it. No job is worth that. You have to add to that from the time you get up in the morning till you are home, cleaned up and your time is your own again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida