Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:50 AM

1,023 posts, read 3,335,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
And you'll be employed in what thriving economic & professional organization in SWFL???? Are you aware of the job situation in SW FL? I see little mention of it. Great, you don't have to shovel snow. Ok, now, how about paying your bills? What job do you have lined up to make up for the change in cost of living?
I am guessing you were in the construction industry or something? Your quote is very condesending. While I agree that times have been better, some of these responses make SW Florida out to be a dump. Why don't you move yourself to Michigan where the unemployment rate is one of the highest in the nation, or stay in Ohio where there aren't a great deal of jobs, and it's full of snow, AND has income tax (two things Florida doesn't have), or move yourself to parts of California where you get paid Loads of money BUT your home is a 500 sq. foot million dollar trailer so even people who make over 100K per year are forced to RENT. I consult for the construction industry, and there are areas in the country WAY worse off than SW Florida. All the builders moved out for one reason....they can't make money. There are too many homes right now. The inventory has to be bought, and then builders will come back. They still own land there, don't be silly. They just closed shop to avoid paying salaries to people for building NO HOMES! When a city gets flooded with inventory, people pull out to let it all sell off. Then, they have people who watch the market, and when the appropriate time to move back in is clear, they will. Construction companies could care less about anything in an area other than how much will they be able to build and SELL! 3/4 of the country isn't selling anything right now. Thus, while I agree with you that the cost of living ANYWHERE IN FLORIDA is higher than the measly wages they like to pay..it's not just SW Florida. I am sure FringedNFab would not move somewhere and buy a home without looking at work. Tell me if I'm mistaken but a bank won't let someone BUY a home these days without solid employment...so it is a moot point, and pretty negative. The job market is crap everyone right now along with the housing industry etc. They go hand in hand whether you are in FL, AZ, CA, MI, OH, KY, NY, etc. It never stays that way, and the true visionaries who make money and run business...know that and capitalize on it when the taking is good. The true formula to "paying your bills" in any part of the US, or Florida, is to NOT buy a home you can not afford. Once America figures that out....everyone will be better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,021,537 times
I have several friends who live in North Port. They all like it alot. But they are the type that get out and enjoy life. One is single and he is hard to find, always doing something with his many different girlfriends. Life is what you make it!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I am guessing you were in the construction industry or something? Your quote is very condesending. While I agree that times have been better, some of these responses make SW Florida out to be a dump. Why don't you move yourself to Michigan where the unemployment rate is one of the highest in the nation, or stay in Ohio where there aren't a great deal of jobs, and it's full of snow, AND has income tax (two things Florida doesn't have), or move yourself to parts of California where you get paid Loads of money BUT your home is a 500 sq. foot million dollar trailer so even people who make over 100K per year are forced to RENT. I consult for the construction industry, and there are areas in the country WAY worse off than SW Florida. All the builders moved out for one reason....they can't make money. There are too many homes right now. The inventory has to be bought, and then builders will come back. They still own land there, don't be silly. They just closed shop to avoid paying salaries to people for building NO HOMES! When a city gets flooded with inventory, people pull out to let it all sell off. Then, they have people who watch the market, and when the appropriate time to move back in is clear, they will. Construction companies could care less about anything in an area other than how much will they be able to build and SELL! 3/4 of the country isn't selling anything right now. Thus, while I agree with you that the cost of living ANYWHERE IN FLORIDA is higher than the measly wages they like to pay..it's not just SW Florida. I am sure FringedNFab would not move somewhere and buy a home without looking at work. Tell me if I'm mistaken but a bank won't let someone BUY a home these days without solid employment...so it is a moot point, and pretty negative. The job market is crap everyone right now along with the housing industry etc. They go hand in hand whether you are in FL, AZ, CA, MI, OH, KY, NY, etc. It never stays that way, and the true visionaries who make money and run business...know that and capitalize on it when the taking is good. The true formula to "paying your bills" in any part of the US, or Florida, is to NOT buy a home you can not afford. Once America figures that out....everyone will be better off.
It's not condescencing; it's the harsh reality. Give me a break.

And we were not in construction; not even close. We were doing just fine economically & moved due to family & personal reasons. We had to move to SW FL due to job circumstances; knew what was to greet us; & left at the first moment possible. Sorry, the baech & warm weather does nothing for us when its surrounded what makes up SWFL. Why should I talk about other parts of FL when the OP is specifically mentioning North Port? SWFL in most parts is a joke starting with employment then let's talk about its school system if it can be called that & then the housing issue. Oh, but wait!!! You don't have to shovel snow! That makes it ALL worth it. Actually, I am questioning the true intentions of the post for its pure vagueness & just title alone...seems some like to stir up issues.

Funny,we moved back to NE OH where my husband is working for a Fortune 500 company that has not had a layoff in its 60 years of existence; our health insurance is $200 less a month but has no deductible & less copaymnet; we bought a home that is not the SWFL crappy built cookie cutter ranch; we are not surrounded by snowbirds who are cranky, grumpy & plain out nasty; my child has seen more children in 2 weeks than he did all summer in SW FL b/c it is impossible to go out & play in 110 degree heat indexes for weeks & weeks. We have all our family & friends around & live in on of the best school districts in the state.

It's OH & has its fair share of problems. But, it's not SWFL; it never will be & I never have to endure that place again. It's awesome.

Please tell me the main companies in North Port, Port Charlotte & Sarasota? The place is headed for economic disaster if not already there. Yeah, Midway Blvd in Port Charlotte is a pure GEM of beauty & perfect example of that part of SWFL. Please tell me what sense it makes to move that area of SWFL without a job & b/c its near beaches.

Does the OP know how many half complete homes are in North Port? The true number of homes for sale b/c it has nothing to truly offer other than cheaply built homes & Target? Wow, well water & septic...that's moving up in the world... Don't forget to mention the drug ring that circles North Port & Port Charlotte.

No one says other states are better for they are not; but SWFL is not the place to be moving to if someone does 5 mins of serious research & not get their info off a random personal website.

There are better places to live in FL with better opportunity than SW FL.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,424,455 times
Quote:

And we were not in construction; not even close. We were doing just fine economically & moved due to family & personal reasons. We had to move to SW FL due to job circumstances; knew what was to greet us; & left at the first moment possible. Sorry, the baech & warm weather does nothing for us when its surrounded what makes up SWFL. Why should I talk about other parts of FL when the OP is specifically mentioning North Port? SWFL in most parts is a joke starting with employment then let's talk about its school system if it can be called that & then the housing issue. Oh, but wait!!! You don't have to shovel snow! That makes it ALL worth it. Actually, I am questioning the true intentions of the post for its pure vagueness & just title alone...seems some like to stir up issues.

Funny,we moved back to NE OH where my husband is working for a Fortune 500 company that has not had a layoff in its 60 years of existence; our health insurance is $200 less a month but has no deductible & less copaymnet; we bought a home that is not the SWFL crappy built cookie cutter ranch; we are not surrounded by snowbirds who are cranky, grumpy & plain out nasty; my child has seen more children in 2 weeks than he did all summer in SW FL b/c it is impossible to go out & play in 110 degree heat indexes for weeks & weeks. We have all our family & friends around & live in on of the best school districts in the state.

It's OH & has its fair share of problems. But, it's not SWFL; it never will be & I never have to endure that place again. It's awesome.

Please tell me the main companies in North Port, Port Charlotte & Sarasota? The place is headed for economic disaster if not already there. Yeah, Midway Blvd in Port Charlotte is a pure GEM of beauty & perfect example of that part of SWFL. Please tell me what sense it makes to move that area of SWFL without a job & b/c its near beaches.

Does the OP know how many half complete homes are in North Port? The true number of homes for sale b/c it has nothing to truly offer other than cheaply built homes & Target? Wow, well water & septic...that's moving up in the world... Don't forget to mention the drug ring that circles North Port & Port Charlotte.

No one says other states are better for they are not; but SWFL is not the place to be moving to if someone does 5 mins of serious research & not get their info off a random personal website.

Well, my, if it werent for this random personal website we wouldnt have reaped the benefits of your informative although be it very negative post.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Ok, let me just say that you obviously have an opinion, but you are merely giving it, and not really giving any helpful information to the OP. The OP obviously doesn't want to stay in Ohio...so instead of making blanket statements about how wretched somewhere is....don't post. OR, merely say that "in your experience" it is not a great place for jobs. I lived in Ohio my entire LIFE, and there are great things about it, I agree. However, your spouse is luck to work for a company that hasn't laid anyone off in 60 years. Not sure if your remember all the steel mill issues in Ohio. So he landed a great job...good for you/him. 110 weather is hot, and yes, the muggy conditions are not great to be out in. NEITHER IS THE -20 below temps in the winter up there. If you want to get real about it, you are just slamming things about the area, and building up some Ohio town you live in. Every place in the country has it's negative and positives. Depending on what the OP, or anyone else for that matter, wants in the place they call home, home is where they'll be. If you like your Ohio suburb, good for you...Florida is tired of having the negative naysayers living here anyway. As another poster put it.."Life is what you make it". You didn't make one in SW Florida, but that doesn't mean you have to bark such crap at the OP. Whether the OP was trying to stir the pot or not...there are several things you are incorrect with.
1. The beach etc. does nothing for you when you deal with the stuff that surrounds SWFL? SWFL is made up of people from all over the US who moved here. I know you are happy in your "towny" place where everyone is local and lived their forever. That's not realistic in FL.
2. The drug circle?????? Ok, clearly you don't pop the bubble you live in to realize that drugs are out of control EVERYWHERE! Try to buy antacid at Walgreens for crying out loud. Stay out of the drug scene. I'll take note of that.
3. Pedofiles: Yes, they are everywhere...thanks to the wonderful internet! There were always there, but now they can be seen, heard and found by anyone with a computer. It's 2007, so I don't care where you live...keep a keen eye on your children!
4. Your kids never played with anyone b/c of the heat. Get a pool...go to the beach....buy a boat, play inside, go to the movies, teach them to draw. What do your kids do in 15" of snow? Extreme weather isn't fun regardless.
5. The OP never said they didn't have a job. I don't think moving to SWFL without a job is any more stupid than moving anywhere and buying a home without a job. Duh. Also, you have no idea what the OP does for a living. Like I said, my husband is a captain....I think moving to Ohio for us would be Stupid.
6. You mention Port Charlotte, but nag me about mentioning other areas of Florida. Again, OP said North Port
7 Water and septic....Ohio has plenty of places where homes have water and septic. I'm glad that you just insulted anyone who owns a farm, country estate, or a piece of property that isn't in the plastic, stepford wife, suburbia. You should watch yourself on that one.
8. Much of the US is headed for ecomonic disaster. Watch the news, read the newspaper...get out a bit. SWFL is no different. Again, as I stated...it was the flood of people trying to capitalize on an area of Florida that was still affordable. It will happen again and again and again all over the US. Cheap land is followed by speculators. Greed is then followed by quick money, and unfinished homes is followed by the greed that got out of control. It's cyclical, and will right itself. Tell me what happened to the US in the 70's with interest rates at 21%? Ugh....it got better
9. School systems: Again, get some information. Florida schools are not the greatest as a whole. Sarasota has Pine View School (one of the best in the nation) Sarasota County schools are not ranked terribly compared to other areas. Also, in Jax, St. John's County Schools are some of the highest in the state, and A ranked nationally. Learn yourself. School systems need good teachers to be strong. When Florida starts paying teachers what they deserve, the schools will improve. Until then....it all starts at home anyway. If a parent is solely relying on the school to teach their child....GOOD LUCK, anywhere!
10. The reason there are so many homes for sale in North Port is not b/c it has nothing to offer. Obviously you are not keen on the industry or have any type of monies tied up in the real estate market. FIRST come homes, then come businesses. Businesses don't build UNLESS there are people there to buy things. Duh again. North Port B/C of it's affordability in 2003-2005 was lambasted by investors trying to capitalize on buying a 10K plot of land, building a home and selling it for 1/2 a mil. Too many of them did that, and the scale was shifted too far one direction. The businesses will still come, but the homes for sale are all out of state buyers who can't sell and thought they could.....people who worked in construction and lost their jobs. Jacksonville is still a very fast growing area, but I don't think the folks here who haven't been able to sell their homes in 2 years would say it's great! When people overprice their homes, and they sit on the market, and then the foreclosures happen....lots of homes for sale. Welcome to the US...not just SWFL.
11. Lastly, give me one place in this country where the homes are very very cheap, people get paid great money and jobs are falling off trees. That will be the next place to take a nosedive in 5 years! Unless you are speaking of Texas......Now, you can get a good job there, cheap home, etc. BUT, not everyone wants to live in Texas. You can take Ohio. It's beautiful in spots, horrendously ugly in others....drugs, crime, etc. It's anywhere you go. You are entitled to your opinion...as everyone is. However, please don't make blanket ignorant remarks based soley on your opinion. I'm sure there are many people out there who hate Ohio, but will say that...they won't say it's a horrible place for you to move....you love it, and have a perfect job. America congratulates you for being the minority these days. To each his own.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 AM

I think you just made your point here. By the sound of things...SWFL burnt you somehow. Maybe that 75 year old guy drove 10 miles an hour in front of you for too long, but the "cranky, grumpy, plain ol' nasty" old people you speak of are glad to be rid of you the "pompous, overly-opinionated negative person". You also mention that you have your family and friends nearby...well, most people who have that nearby like where they live, and we are so happy for you. I went to the Shaker Heights school distric my whole life, and am thankful for that. I'm glad your children will get the best of the best Ohio has to offer them. Just be prepared for them to hightail it out of there to never return once they go to college. The US has a lot to offer, and you should really broaden your horizons. It's obvious you didn't go to the same schools as your children. My apologies for whomever or whatever bit you in the a** in SWFL.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,892,067 times
Quote:

I think you just made your point here. By the sound of things...SWFL burnt you somehow. Maybe that 75 year old guy drove 10 miles an hour in front of you for too long, but the "cranky, grumpy, plain ol' nasty" old people you speak of are glad to be rid of you the "pompous, overly-opinionated negative person". You also mention that you have your family and friends nearby...well, most people who have that nearby like where they live, and we are so happy for you. I went to the Shaker Heights school distric my whole life, and am thankful for that. I'm glad your children will get the best of the best Ohio has to offer them. Just be prepared for them to hightail it out of there to never return once they go to college. The US has a lot to offer, and you should really broaden your horizons. It's obvious you didn't go to the same schools as your children. My apologies for whomever or whatever bit you in the a** in SWFL.
I just love this site!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,424,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I just love this site!
Me, too!

Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM

360 posts, read 1,905,411 times
Quote:
FringedNFab--
Don't let all the negativity get you down. I was born in Clearwater Beach, raised in Shaker Heights Ohio, went to college at UC, then moved all over the country (NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, back to Tampa Bay, Jacksonville now)....I can tell you a couple of things....
Clearwater Beach is overcrowded and probably not like you remember it. My husband and myself are childless at this point, and 33 years old. We are looking at relocating to North Port/Venice area asap. We don't like Jax at all.
If you are single, there is not much "night life" in the North Port area, but depending on what your idea of "night life" is, there are things to do. To tell you the truth, after living all over the country, in some of the US's most vibrant cities, there is something to really be said about low crime, peace, quiet, friends, and sanity. We've "been there done that", so we are looking for a safe place to raise decent children, and have some "close" friends to have over for dinner, grab food at a beach bar, (my husband is a captain) so fishing is great with friends on our boat as well. Truly, you have to dig deep and think of what you are looking for. Florida is still a great place to live. Why do you think the market is so soft? Too many people moved here and bought investment properties!!! This place is flooded. Thus, jobs went away, construction stopped, and now all the negative people are coming out of the wood work. Trust me when I tell you that nothing is Florida will stay depressed for long. It is still a place where people want to come. Follow the "real" investors who look for long term gain, not the flippers. The flippers lead people into the woods. Any city that is on fire with growth right now, will be in the exact same place as SW Florida in several years...it's inevitable.
You are correct to think that Boca Grand is gorgeous..it is.
Traffic will be an issue no matter where you are; unless you are in some podunk town. Jobs are out there (I work from home) depending on what you do, or want to do. The income level in Florida is out of whack for it's home pricing, and that is probably the biggest negative. I would just say...buy what you can really afford, or less. You'll be fine. Charleston Park, in North Port, has lots of young families, and young couples...I don't think many singles though.
I wish you the best of luck, and don't think you are making a bad decision. It doesn't sound like you want the party central cities like Miami/Lauderdale, parts of Tampa, parts of Orlando..and therefore, I think you are making a good choice for yourself. With SW Florida being so flooded and depressed in the housing market right now, it's a great time to buy...get a steal. If you are in it for the long haul...you will have made a good investment once you allow time for all the speculators to get rid of their inventory. See you in SW Florida someday!
Thanks! Be nice to make some friends before I head down... Yeah, I'll take NP over Tampa or Miami anyday. It's just not me.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 PM

360 posts, read 1,905,411 times
Quote:

First off, I never posted anything just to "stir up issues" I am dead set on moving from here very soon. And I'm taking my shawls, chiffon, and platform boots with me~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida