Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 AM

360 posts, read 1,909,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belloisec View Post
I keep reading posts from a handful of posters which makes me think so.

Brown Waters? We take our boats out frequently during the summer and the waters are crystal clear and Caribbean-like.

I've been up and down the west coast of Florida many, many times and the only murky waters I've come across are in bays and running inside in the Intracoastal ways.

Now storms can stir the water up and make things murky, but it always clears up after a few days of laying down. In the winter the water is even more clear, except after a cold front passes and the North wind blows stirring things up, but again, after a few days of laying down the water is clear again.

Caledesi Island was voted as the #2 Beach in the country being only beat out by a beach in Hawaii! Fort Desoto beach was voted as the #1 beach last year! So I don't know where these brown waters are.

So unless I'm living in my own private Idaho, these beaches are some of the best in th USA. So come on down and see for yourself - you won't be disappointed.
I definitely am soon.... I can't wait to live the Florida life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
back to the NP thing. I was just in Biscayne neighborhood... There are slums in NP !!!!
I'm sure every place has a bad section to it. Heck there are slums in Hawaii. Just watch Dog some night.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
The western end of Biscayne is the area that is not as nice....it's older, more trailers etc. However, it doesn't matter where you go in Florida...you'll have those pockets. In Florida, that is not necessarily indicative of an area's desireability. Drive around some more....Venice, Nokomis, Sarasota, Naples, Clearwater Beach, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, PSL, Miami, FT Lauderdale. Enjoy! You'll see that every single area has more than a couple of streets that look slummy. There will be 50's style block ranch homes, trailers, very old raised ranches, horrible landscaping, trucks on blocks in driveways etc. Welcome to the sunshine state.
lol you crack me up LewLew I swear. And I know what you're saying... we have "those" up here in Ohio in places...

Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
Hello FringedNfab,
At first when I was reading the threads I was thinking are you kidding NorthPort would be great for someone who is up in Ohio. Despite what others might think or say NothPort is a rapidly growing city with the best school district in Florida and yes that is a fact look it up. However, it is very slooooow paced around here which is nice in my opinion to raise a family and such and that's just it. You DON'T have a family (right know). It seems to me your simply looking for a nice decent place to live close to beaches, but not neccesarrily( i know i spelled that wrong)the hustle of Miami and or other big metro cities.However, TRUST me with out a family to keep you busy there is not much to do here you WILL be bored out of your wits this is basicly a RURAL city. I know you are trying to get the best home your money can buy and that is smart but consider your options. It is nice here but again not much to do. I guess you could drive up to sarasota but that gets old after a while. Have you visted NorthPort? If you haven't I suggest you do, never rely on pictures or hear say. Best of luck!!!
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I will come down and stay a bit and drive/look into everything of course, before I jump on any big decisions... I liked North Port being inland just a bit, but still close to everything... and the home you get for your money. I can't stress enough that there isn't that much to do HERE in Ohio. Especially now that winter is here. I wouldn't mind driving 45 minutes somewhere to go do something, I do that here if I go out on occasion. But it's been awhile. When I move, I don't plan on coming back north. And after 33 years in Ohio, I can guarantee you I won't be getting bored with any beaches anytime soon. Oh, I'll have family down there after awhile, but it'll take me making the first move down haha. My family would soon follow and settle, I know.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
YOU ARE MY NEW FOUND HERO! that's right tell it like it is OP I hope you're listening.
lol you can't help but love LewLew

Old 11-28-2007, 04:45 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
couldn't have said it better my self! Good job!
Thanks JJJNEY!!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
lol you can't help but love LewLew
Fringed....you'll have to keep us posted on your thoughts after you visit. We just got back from NP...wen't to visit the inlaws. While Venice is more my speed b/c it's closer to the beach, there are parts of NP that aren't bad. It's very slow, but there are gated communities that will give you more of a neighborhood feel. (charleston park has the most young people...from what I see). Port Charlotte is not far from there (we passed our turn, and ended up on PC within 5 minutes). We drove to Sharkey's on Venice beach for ritas and apps...it only took us 20 minutes. They had a Jamaican band playing, and it's right on the sand...so much fun. BUT, that is more our speed than crazy club central. So, hope you enjoy. FYI, Venice also has some GREAT rentals (there were two 2 bed condos that are redone, 3 blocks to the beach for $950.) If you decide to move and you aren't sure...you'll find what you like, and can afford for sure. (renting or buying)

Just enjoy the chance to look around. I have an awesome real estate agent who lives there. She is young, with very young children, but grew up on Manasota Key (talk about boring)...so she is a wealth of info. Email me personally, and I'll get you her info for when you are there.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
The western end of Biscayne is the area that is not as nice....it's older, more trailers etc. However, it doesn't matter where you go in Florida...you'll have those pockets. In Florida, that is not necessarily indicative of an area's desireability. Drive around some more....Venice, Nokomis, Sarasota, Naples, Clearwater Beach, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, PSL, Miami, FT Lauderdale. Enjoy! You'll see that every single area has more than a couple of streets that look slummy. There will be 50's style block ranch homes, trailers, very old raised ranches, horrible landscaping, trucks on blocks in driveways etc. Welcome to the sunshine state.
Agreed... I'm in So. Venice and we have good street, bad street but that west side of Biscayne was worse. Is Warm Mineral springs like that too?
Some parts of Nokomis are rough also.

on a lighter note. I have seen that NP high school, beautiful.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 AM

18 posts, read 59,209 times
Oh, I'll have family down there after awhile, but it'll take me making the first move down haha. My family would soon follow and settle, I know

That's what happened to my family. I moved to FL first, then my parents moved down, then my brother and sister. My parents lived with me for a short while before they found their own place to live. They're gone now, but my siblings are still in FL. We don't all live in the same city, just like when we lived up north, we were all living in different places. Yes, indeed, you may be the first in your family to migrate south.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
Agreed... I'm in So. Venice and we have good street, bad street but that west side of Biscayne was worse. Is Warm Mineral springs like that too?
Some parts of Nokomis are rough also.

on a lighter note. I have seen that NP high school, beautiful.
Yeah NP High School does look nice....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida