U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2007, 02:30 AM
 
Location: Sarasota area
360 posts, read 1,728,750 times
Reputation: 226

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Fringed....you'll have to keep us posted on your thoughts after you visit. We just got back from NP...wen't to visit the inlaws. While Venice is more my speed b/c it's closer to the beach, there are parts of NP that aren't bad. It's very slow, but there are gated communities that will give you more of a neighborhood feel. (charleston park has the most young people...from what I see). Port Charlotte is not far from there (we passed our turn, and ended up on PC within 5 minutes). We drove to Sharkey's on Venice beach for ritas and apps...it only took us 20 minutes. They had a Jamaican band playing, and it's right on the sand...so much fun. BUT, that is more our speed than crazy club central. So, hope you enjoy. FYI, Venice also has some GREAT rentals (there were two 2 bed condos that are redone, 3 blocks to the beach for $950.) If you decide to move and you aren't sure...you'll find what you like, and can afford for sure. (renting or buying)

Just enjoy the chance to look around. I have an awesome real estate agent who lives there. She is young, with very young children, but grew up on Manasota Key (talk about boring)...so she is a wealth of info. Email me personally, and I'll get you her info for when you are there.
I will. I am keeping an eye out on the whole North Port-Englewood-Venice Beach area, so my choices are plenty. And Venice does look nice huh? A lot say it's full of old people tho lol but you get that in Florida! I'm also envisioning making it a day trip at times, and visiting (touristy) Siesta Key at times... it looks to be so beautiful up there, and I've never been. I just wouldn't live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2007, 05:31 AM
 
1,023 posts, read 2,996,213 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
I will. I am keeping an eye out on the whole North Port-Englewood-Venice Beach area, so my choices are plenty. And Venice does look nice huh? A lot say it's full of old people tho lol but you get that in Florida! I'm also envisioning making it a day trip at times, and visiting (touristy) Siesta Key at times... it looks to be so beautiful up there, and I've never been. I just wouldn't live there.
Well, we were just down there, and here were some things I noticed....We grabbed a Starbucks, and the two working the window couldn't be out of high school. (VERY nice kids though..no attitude, very good customer service, smiley etc.) We don't have young people in Starbuck up here that don't have chips on their shoulders. Sharkeys was also PACKED with young, middle-age, old etc. We love our doggies, and so we were surprised to see a new chic store that opened by Starbucks in Venice called Pet Essentials. It's a holistic, yuppy dog store. So, while the median age is older (yes, like most of Florida), it does appear to cater to others. Our thoughts on Venice..... we like there is an influx of elderly people as they watch out for their neighborhoods, don't commit violent crime, and are generally cleaner than most. There is a lot to do there if you like beach, boating, fishing, shopping. However, if you like clubbing, dancing, etc...you are out of luck. You can bowl there, golf there, go to a movie, hit Siesta Key area in 15-20 minutes, hit the Bee Ridge shopping of Sarasota (great mall and other stores...upscale), go to St. Armand's Key for that strolling beach shopping. There is a large dog beach between Venice and Englewood. Thus, though the population is a little older...we don't care. If you are looking for singles, and dating...you'll probably have to look a little bit harder...maybe more folks in Sarasota.
I went to University of Cincinnati, which I think is where you live. I know the area well. Depending on where you are there, you won't be disappointed. It might be a little bit of a culture shock, but I hated Cincinnati. I only liked my friends, but other than that....blah. I'm much more of a relaxing, outdoorsy person...and relish the time at the beach, at my pool, strolling outdoor shops, and soaking in the sun 24/7. I grew up in Cleveland, so I know that part of Ohio too. Gorgeous suburbs, but still not great for young singles.
Look carefully in Englewood...I'm told there are some areas that appear nice, but really aren't. We didn't look there, so I don't have more info than that.
I also heard yesterday to stay away from Stoneybook in Venice, as there is some lawsuit about CDD fees going on. (just wanted to throw that out) Also, we looked at a home in NP where the owner's agent just told us they will do WHATEVER we want to sell us the house. They were also willing to put in ALL new flooring (new house mind you) that we might like better. You can seriously get a deal. Happy Hunting, and we'll have to look each other up when you get there. My husband and I decided we might rent a home for a year to really take it all in. The market is not supposed to truly bounce back until early 2010, so taking 2008 to look around is probably smart. There will be many more deal than there already are. Enjoy getting out of Ohio...I did. (one last thing...I do miss some beauty of the fall etc., but you can always visit!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 AM
 
Location: 05 to present Venice, Fla 91-05 Manchester, NH
354 posts, read 1,136,882 times
Reputation: 120
Too bad about Stoneybrook - that looks like a nice family place. LewLew you pretty much described what to do in Venice Area. I think of it the same as living in the suburbs of a NH city. Not much to do at home except enjoy nature but not far from civilization. We are going to Venice boast parade on Sat eve. and then Parade in Rotonda and Arts festival in Englewood Dearborn on Sun. We go to Disney in 2 wks before Xmas. Less crowds, Fla discount....

A note on Englewood. It's or miss. If you see duplexes that is probably a not so good hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:04 AM
 
76 posts, read 203,087 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Well, we were just down there, and here were some things I noticed....We grabbed a Starbucks, and the two working the window couldn't be out of high school. (VERY nice kids though..no attitude, very good customer service, smiley etc.) We don't have young people in Starbuck up here that don't have chips on their shoulders. Sharkeys was also PACKED with young, middle-age, old etc. We love our doggies, and so we were surprised to see a new chic store that opened by Starbucks in Venice called Pet Essentials. It's a holistic, yuppy dog store. So, while the median age is older (yes, like most of Florida), it does appear to cater to others. Our thoughts on Venice..... we like there is an influx of elderly people as they watch out for their neighborhoods, don't commit violent crime, and are generally cleaner than most. There is a lot to do there if you like beach, boating, fishing, shopping. However, if you like clubbing, dancing, etc...you are out of luck. You can bowl there, golf there, go to a movie, hit Siesta Key area in 15-20 minutes, hit the Bee Ridge shopping of Sarasota (great mall and other stores...upscale), go to St. Armand's Key for that strolling beach shopping. There is a large dog beach between Venice and Englewood. Thus, though the population is a little older...we don't care. If you are looking for singles, and dating...you'll probably have to look a little bit harder...maybe more folks in Sarasota.
I went to University of Cincinnati, which I think is where you live. I know the area well. Depending on where you are there, you won't be disappointed. It might be a little bit of a culture shock, but I hated Cincinnati. I only liked my friends, but other than that....blah. I'm much more of a relaxing, outdoorsy person...and relish the time at the beach, at my pool, strolling outdoor shops, and soaking in the sun 24/7. I grew up in Cleveland, so I know that part of Ohio too. Gorgeous suburbs, but still not great for young singles.
Look carefully in Englewood...I'm told there are some areas that appear nice, but really aren't. We didn't look there, so I don't have more info than that.
I also heard yesterday to stay away from Stoneybook in Venice, as there is some lawsuit about CDD fees going on. (just wanted to throw that out) Also, we looked at a home in NP where the owner's agent just told us they will do WHATEVER we want to sell us the house. They were also willing to put in ALL new flooring (new house mind you) that we might like better. You can seriously get a deal. Happy Hunting, and we'll have to look each other up when you get there. My husband and I decided we might rent a home for a year to really take it all in. The market is not supposed to truly bounce back until early 2010, so taking 2008 to look around is probably smart. There will be many more deal than there already are. Enjoy getting out of Ohio...I did. (one last thing...I do miss some beauty of the fall etc., but you can always visit!)
I agree, just a little something I want to add. LEWLEW is right the market is slower and you can get a great deal, With that been said as I had mentioned before LOOK into your options. I 'll explain my view, I think NP, PC, Venice were (are) places extremly rural that alot of folks looking to live in Florida in a quiet, decent neighborhood opted to live here because there chooses were limited (money wise) but now that it's a buyer's market I really think you have the freedom of being more picky if you will. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with NP but let's be honest if money wasn't an issue where would we rather be Naples, or NP Hmmmm..... catch my drift. this is a possiblity now where before not likely. I'm just saying!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 AM
 
76 posts, read 203,087 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
I agree, just a little something I want to add. LEWLEW is right the market is slower and you can get a great deal, With that been said as I had mentioned before LOOK into your options. I 'll explain my view, I think NP, PC, Venice were (are) places extremly rural that alot of folks looking to live in Florida in a quiet, decent neighborhood opted to live here because there chooses were limited (money wise) but now that it's a buyer's market I really think you have the freedom of being more picky if you will. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with NP but let's be honest if money wasn't an issue where would we rather be Naples, or NP Hmmmm..... catch my drift. this is a possiblity now where before not likely. I'm just saying!!

Hey I just noticed something! what happened to all the Neg Posters! I think LEWLEW scared them off. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 AM
 
76 posts, read 203,087 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I will come down and stay a bit and drive/look into everything of course, before I jump on any big decisions... I liked North Port being inland just a bit, but still close to everything... and the home you get for your money. I can't stress enough that there isn't that much to do HERE in Ohio. Especially now that winter is here. I wouldn't mind driving 45 minutes somewhere to go do something, I do that here if I go out on occasion. But it's been awhile. When I move, I don't plan on coming back north. And after 33 years in Ohio, I can guarantee you I won't be getting bored with any beaches anytime soon. Oh, I'll have family down there after awhile, but it'll take me making the first move down haha. My family would soon follow and settle, I know.
But still close to everything! That's just it...you are not close to anything. Can someone please give some insight as to how many stores, supermarkets etc are actually in NP last time I checked there were not many at all. But I could be wrong. I know they have a walmart. Again I 'm not bashing NP just trying to give you a realistic picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 AM
 
1,023 posts, read 2,996,213 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
Too bad about Stoneybrook - that looks like a nice family place. LewLew you pretty much described what to do in Venice Area. I think of it the same as living in the suburbs of a NH city. Not much to do at home except enjoy nature but not far from civilization. We are going to Venice boast parade on Sat eve. and then Parade in Rotonda and Arts festival in Englewood Dearborn on Sun. We go to Disney in 2 wks before Xmas. Less crowds, Fla discount....

A note on Englewood. It's or miss. If you see duplexes that is probably a not so good hood.
That sounds like fun. We just had the Lighted Boat Parade for the holidays here in Jax, but we missed it b/c we were in Venice. Glad to see there are similar things down there. We are excited to get back to the West Coast. Jacksonville is horrible. Yes, lots to do...but very spread out. So, really no different than living in Venice, driving to Sarasota, or living in NP and driving to Venice. We live in the most central part of Jax (Mandarin area) pretty, but still 40 minutes to the beach, and longer to St. Aug beach. We miss the people on the West Coast. Less local oakles, and more transferred people....and vacationers. We like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 AM
 
1,023 posts, read 2,996,213 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
But still close to everything! That's just it...you are not close to anything. Can someone please give some insight as to how many stores, supermarkets etc are actually in NP last time I checked there were not many at all. But I could be wrong. I know they have a walmart. Again I 'm not bashing NP just trying to give you a realistic picture.
Truly there is not a ton. However, NP is just like Pinellas County was 15 years ago. No one would even think of going further north than Clearwater, now people and business are flooded in Palm Harbor. NP is an area that was a TON of land, so it was cheap to buy and build. Commerical dealers will not open too many places without the population to support them. I believe NP had a lot of zoning issues they had to work out, as the city was getting large too fast, and nothing like that was expected. Thus, I think some commercial projects were on hold. You also have to remember that public utilities only work so fast, and they are needed to support shopping centers. Homes can run on septic and well water, but malls can not. There are just a lot of logistics there that have to catch up. However, things backed off when the housing bubble burst.
There are plans for a mall at Toledo Blade, there are 2 Publix stores, a Winn Dixie, a Target, a WalMart, 3 gas stations, 2 veterinarians, 4 restaurants (mainly small sandwhich, wing, burger joints), a Physical Therapy office, Nail salons, Hallmark store, tanning place, several banks etc. Basically what they have there now is necessary stores for survival. If you want broad range shopping you have to drive 20 minutes to Venice or 10 minutes to PC. So, it's really not bad. Some of my family still lives in Ohio, and they live in Chesterland. They have to drive 20 minutes to the mall, 20 minutes to the highway etc. I live in Jax, and I'm 15 minutes to the mall. I have Barnes and Noble, TJMaxx, Steinmart, banks, gas stations, Target, Publix etc. close, but cool shopping is 15-20 or more minutes away...and I'm 40 minutes to the beach. City planning just has to catch up, and it will once the real estate cycle is back on the mend. The businesses will always come to a place that close in proximity to the beach....especially when it's cheap. They just have to know that their business will be sustained by the population. Right now, everyone is just holding their breath to see how fast it will happen.
You are right though...still rural. But not Ocala rural, or Palatka rural, or Gainseville rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 AM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,434,866 times
Reputation: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
But still close to everything! That's just it...you are not close to anything. Can someone please give some insight as to how many stores, supermarkets etc are actually in NP last time I checked there were not many at all. But I could be wrong. I know they have a walmart. Again I 'm not bashing NP just trying to give you a realistic picture.
Not to mention the huge amounts of homes on well & septic. You are right...money is the driving point in NP & home prices. NP is relying on the never ending talk of the new mall, SuperWalMart, & Target which can be found in any city anywhere. They were wise though & invested well in schools. At least they are not like the schools in PC. The RE market in SW FL is a real mess along with the job market. Realtors are foaming at the mouth for anyone interested in buying one of the 60,000 homes for sale b/w Sarasota & Naples. Posters can be as overly optimistic or negative; I could care less who moves to SW FL. Different strokes for different folks. There is a reality there & people who have actually lived there now what it is....Just don't expect to move here & all one's problems dissapear into Siesta Key if it is not closed due to bateria levels. That is another reality-the condition of the water on the beaches anymore. Siesta Key was closed a few times this past summer due to unsafe levels of bateria in the water. To have to travel to PC for shopping; well, again, depends on one's personal taste. We found PC to be close to disturbing & even odder than Fort Myers if that is possible.

Not everyone has to have the same opinions & it is not against the law to be negative or positive; that's why it is a forum. I lived in SW FL. Not even close to my style & the retiree population in that area is a whole separate issue. Be what it is. It works for some & not for others.

North Port reminds me of Cape Coral; lots of big things about to happen & lots of "talk" but little action b/c of every excuse in the book. It is going to take years for these areas to rebound from the RE mess. North Port is at least b/c two areas (Port Charlotte is not a city in technical terms; it's a municipality) that have random jobs that can support several economic ranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 AM
 
1,023 posts, read 2,996,213 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
I agree, just a little something I want to add. LEWLEW is right the market is slower and you can get a great deal, With that been said as I had mentioned before LOOK into your options. I 'll explain my view, I think NP, PC, Venice were (are) places extremly rural that alot of folks looking to live in Florida in a quiet, decent neighborhood opted to live here because there chooses were limited (money wise) but now that it's a buyer's market I really think you have the freedom of being more picky if you will. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with NP but let's be honest if money wasn't an issue where would we rather be Naples, or NP Hmmmm..... catch my drift. this is a possiblity now where before not likely. I'm just saying!!
Yes, do look at your options carefully, and also don't buy anything you aren't willing to commit to. While the folks who sold it to you were happy to unload it in this market, you could be in the same boat if you change your mind after buying. I know renting sucks if you can afford to buy (better economically), but it might be the smartest thing to do until you navigate what places you'll be patronizing regularly, what beach you enjoy the most, what the traffic patterns are, etc. I hate the thought of renting with all the deals out there, but I would hate it more if we bought something we regretted. Also, my father-in-law always said..."anywhere is pleasant, beautiful and fun when you are on vacation; make sure that the area will sustain your happiness even when your job sucks, there are bills to be paid, you have to drive in rush hour every day, and living the everyday is reality not fantasy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top