U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 12:27 PM

76 posts, read 203,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I believe that Countrywide can still do it, but the rate will be pretty high...unless they have 720 or higher score. Bank of America still has some programs, but without knowing the extent of what they have in debt to income ratio, other assets, income etc. (that will be the telling part)....I can't say for sure. Sorry. Maybe there is a strong mortgage broker out there on the thread. You should start a new post asking this question.
I know this is going to sound really stupid but I am not sure exactly how Would mind telling me or starting one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,996,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
I know this is going to sound really stupid but I am not sure exactly how Would mind telling me or starting one
No problem. You have to go back to the initial page of posts (where you see all the threads). There will be a little button that says "start a new thread". Click that, and it should walk you through it. Since it's general and you aren't specifying an area of Florida per say...you don't have to be so concerned about what Florida board you are on. Hope that helps.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
No problem. You have to go back to the initial page of posts (where you see all the threads). There will be a little button that says "start a new thread". Click that, and it should walk you through it. Since it's general and you aren't specifying an area of Florida per say...you don't have to be so concerned about what Florida board you are on. Hope that helps.
thank you kindly

Old 11-29-2007, 02:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,435,562 times
Quote:
May I ask where you live? You are right to say that going to the beach 24/7 will not happen. You are also right that comparing Naples to NP is not really apples to apples. However, anywhere in FL right now is depressed. I am not a real estate agent, but a Manager with a Fortune 500 builder. Doom and goom is media driven...you are buying into it. It's cyclical, and will come back. Jax is in bad shape, and Lennar, Beazer etc. are all pulling out. Growth is not happening, there is an excess of inventory. That is anywhere in Florida right now. Ask any real esate agent how many homes are for sale anywhere in the sunshine state, and you'll be shocked. It is not indicative of one particular area. Research is necessary if you move anywhere. We moved to Jax....whoops. Didn't do enough research, bought into the media about the growth, and are miserable. Anywhere you live is highly subjective. You move there for what you like, what you do for a living, where your heart is. This is a very bad market across the country....not just real estate, but the economy is iffy at best right now. You just can't speculate which way it will go...especially with elections coming soon. Buying a home is always risky, but it's safer than a lot of other places to put your money. Be smart, offer what you can afford or less, and truly choose where you'll be happy. If you do that, who cares about all the media hype...you can afford your home, you are happy where you are, and life goes on.
My friends have had their home on the market in Jacksonville for over a year. It's priced 50K under what they bought it for, and 40K under appraisal. Still, no buyers. It is everywhere.
We lived in Punta Gorda & my husband worked in Fort Myers (non construction based job that paid almost too well). Had to do majority of shopping & restaurants in PC. Absolutely hated the place. Lack of things to do, dumpy, & an area of FL that revolves solely around retirees & snowbirds. We are prior Army & have lived in 7 different states prior to this civilian move. Seen so much that I can endure a lot; just nothing prepared me for PC/PG/Ft Myers. We knew what we were moving into but had little choice due to circumstances after my husband's return from Iraq.

Travelled to NP many times b/c we heard decent things about it & mostly that it was not PC or PG & more family related. We are a younger family with a little child & another on the way. Sorry, but one of the worst places to live would be PG & PC based on our demographics. We decided against living in SW FL due to personal & professional reasons.

Long story short: it was a very bad experience.

But, I also realize it was just MY experience & just MY feelings.

Yet, there is also a very true reality to the housing & job market in SW FL. Of course the market has tanked in majority of areas. But, the reasons are different in every area. SWFL is based off of greed & overconstruction. There is no real job market south of Sarasota (I cannot comment on the job market Sarasota b/c I know very little about it) where a "traditional" family can reasonably live. It has to be acknowledged that most of this area is an area for tourists, retirees & snowbirds. I lived there & that was what I saw. The majority of jobs were construction based & are fading fast.

The issue I see much concern with is just the overall mass of homes that are for sale throughout the region. There is little there to encourage people to move there. If one is moving there b/c they have employment, well, it is a different story. But if not, truth be told, they are up a creek if they don't come without some sort of major cash reserve.

Rentals are a steal right now & if one can really wheel & deal, they can probably get a home at a decent price.

But, with the excess of homes, why even buy right now b/c in 2-3 years there are still going to be thousands of homes for sale & prices will drop. In no way are 50,000 homes going to be sold in the next 2-3 years. In our area of PG, there were 6 homes in a 3 block radius for sale for over 12 months...never saw a person even stop to look at them.

It's just my opinion. I would HIGHLY discourage anyone from buying right now in SWFL & the septic/well in NP would truly concern me based on Cape Coral's issue right now. While NP is "rural", it is not country country where people are getting 5-10 acres of land.

And my husband took a major pay cut to move. He is now with a better company with benefits that are unbelievable; a work environment that is positive & gets a paid week off at Christmas along with regular vacation pay, etc. The company he was with in Fort Myers is a nationwide company that announced last month it was closing all its branches except Jax. Now, it announced this week all FL branches are closing. We are blessed we got out when we could & never bought in SW FL. We'd be stuck with a home that would never sell & no income.

It's just a matter of personal taste & opinion. We are not FL people. Never were. Back were we are happy & where we grew up.

I would discourage anyone from moving to the area unless they had a valid reason with income to support the move. SW FL is not JAx, it's not Tampa, it's not Miami. It's a strange & bizarre place in areas yet for many does have a lot to offer.

People need to be wise in their decision moving here. I meet more unhappy people here than I did on some of the crappiest Army bases where husbands were in Iraq for 12-15 months. Beaches & sun only do so much. As I've stated before & will again, it is not the reality of the way life is lived. It is a plus & if it makes someone happy, best of luck.

There is a MAJOR difference b/w people who are moving to the area based on legit reasons & those who want to move to the area b/c of the weather. That's all I'll say about that...

Old 11-29-2007, 02:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
Hey Sorry to get off the subject but does anyone know of a BANK that does jumbo loans at 100%
There is a specific Real Estate & separate Mortage thread underneath all the states. A ton of valuable & interesting info.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,996,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
We lived in Punta Gorda & my husband worked in Fort Myers (non construction based job that paid almost too well). Had to do majority of shopping & restaurants in PC. Absolutely hated the place. Lack of things to do, dumpy, & an area of FL that revolves solely around retirees & snowbirds. We are prior Army & have lived in 7 different states prior to this civilian move. Seen so much that I can endure a lot; just nothing prepared me for PC/PG/Ft Myers. We knew what we were moving into but had little choice due to circumstances after my husband's return from Iraq.

Travelled to NP many times b/c we heard decent things about it & mostly that it was not PC or PG & more family related. We are a younger family with a little child & another on the way. Sorry, but one of the worst places to live would be PG & PC based on our demographics. We decided against living in SW FL due to personal & professional reasons.

Long story short: it was a very bad experience.

But, I also realize it was just MY experience & just MY feelings.

Yet, there is also a very true reality to the housing & job market in SW FL. Of course the market has tanked in majority of areas. But, the reasons are different in every area. SWFL is based off of greed & overconstruction. There is no real job market south of Sarasota (I cannot comment on the job market Sarasota b/c I know very little about it) where a "traditional" family can reasonably live. It has to be acknowledged that most of this area is an area for tourists, retirees & snowbirds. I lived there & that was what I saw. The majority of jobs were construction based & are fading fast.

The issue I see much concern with is just the overall mass of homes that are for sale throughout the region. There is little there to encourage people to move there. If one is moving there b/c they have employment, well, it is a different story. But if not, truth be told, they are up a creek if they don't come without some sort of major cash reserve.

Rentals are a steal right now & if one can really wheel & deal, they can probably get a home at a decent price.

But, with the excess of homes, why even buy right now b/c in 2-3 years there are still going to be thousands of homes for sale & prices will drop. In no way are 50,000 homes going to be sold in the next 2-3 years. In our area of PG, there were 6 homes in a 3 block radius for sale for over 12 months...never saw a person even stop to look at them.

It's just my opinion. I would HIGHLY discourage anyone from buying right now in SWFL & the septic/well in NP would truly concern me based on Cape Coral's issue right now. While NP is "rural", it is not country country where people are getting 5-10 acres of land.

And my husband took a major pay cut to move. He is now with a better company with benefits that are unbelievable; a work environment that is positive & gets a paid week off at Christmas along with regular vacation pay, etc. The company he was with in Fort Myers is a nationwide company that announced last month it was closing all its branches except Jax. Now, it announced this week all FL branches are closing. We are blessed we got out when we could & never bought in SW FL. We'd be stuck with a home that would never sell & no income.

It's just a matter of personal taste & opinion. We are not FL people. Never were. Back were we are happy & where we grew up.

I would discourage anyone from moving to the area unless they had a valid reason with income to support the move. SW FL is not JAx, it's not Tampa, it's not Miami. It's a strange & bizarre place in areas yet for many does have a lot to offer.

People need to be wise in their decision moving here. I meet more unhappy people here than I did on some of the crappiest Army bases where husbands were in Iraq for 12-15 months. Beaches & sun only do so much. As I've stated before & will again, it is not the reality of the way life is lived. It is a plus & if it makes someone happy, best of luck.

There is a MAJOR difference b/w people who are moving to the area based on legit reasons & those who want to move to the area b/c of the weather. That's all I'll say about that...
You have many valid points. However, I have to add a few of my own. (it's who I am). I too have lived in 6 states, and numerous cities. I too would take some of them over any city in Florida. However, as stated, my husband is a captain. We HAVE to live in a warm water area that is coastal. I wouldn't live in the coastal areas of Texas, the Carolinas don't have the boating and fishing off-shore that Florida does; north of that is cold more than half the year. So, I guess we are the exception. However, we truly don't know what the OP does for a living. I consult from home for a very good salary, so my location makes no difference.

I have lived in the Tampa Bay area (liked it for some reasons, hated it for others..but that is everywhere. There is no UTOPIA) I traveled for work to Orlando regularly...you can have that town. Sure, Disney etc. but otherwise, loads of crappy areas, crime, NO WATER whatsoever (talk about ridiculous..you get all the bad that Florida has and you can't even have a beach LOL) I traveled once per month to PSL...didn't care for it, but didn't live there. Spent weeks at a time in Daytona for work....some cute beach towns by Ormond etc, but otherwise too "redneck" for me. We are now in Jacksonville, and I can't stand it here. It's Florida, but it should be Georgia. It has nothing that I love about Florida, is HUGE and you can't get anywhere without having to drive highways. To me, Jacksonville is almost the worst. I have never been to PG or FT Myers, but I've heard much of what you say.

You kind of hit the nail on the head about the job, home etc. Home will be happy for anyone who feels connected. A city can have every ammenity possible, good housing etc., but if you don't fit in....you'll never be happy. Not the city's fault, just reality.

I grew up in Ohio. I have NOTHING negative to say about Cleveland suburbs (where I grew up), but Cincinnati is a dump....went to college there. I miss the East side suburbs of Cleveland, and make sure I visit when I can. (I still have family up there). However, while you are doing well there...it is not a growing place either. My family has a business there we've owned since the 20's. It is dying dying dying there. Glad you are doing well, but it's not a place for anyone but someone local who grew up there and can appreciate what it offers. Show me where people are migrating to Ohio somewhere! LOL

Any location is subjective. While I hate Jax, I have friends who grew up in NYC, and love it. I don't fault them for that, or even question it. NP is also NOT PG. Yes, what is going on in Cape coral is the assessment placed on homeowners for public utilities. so what? Did people never think that was going to happen??????? The problem is all the people who OVERSPENT for their homes. Bottom line. If you didn't overspend, the $18K assessment to have public utilities is less money than to put new floors in your home, or re-do a kitchen. Improper budgeting is the problem, and ignorance to the fact that they bought a home with a septic system, and act like they had no clue they would ever get socked with an assessment. Seriously....I don't feel for them there. It's common sense. Maybe they all used the same real estate agent who forgot to tell them. I feel badly for people who got snowed by mortgage brokers, and for people who can't find work, and for people who lost their jobs, and for people who are unhappy b/c something awful unexpectedly happened in their lives...but I am tired of everyone not taking responsibility for anything, and then saying whoa is me. If you buy a home in NP..make sure you budget for an eventual assessment. Make sure you talk to the county about how it gets paid. Ask your mortgage company to take more into your escrow for those kind of emergencies. BE SMART!

The beach doesn't cure all woes...no. However, if the beach is something you crave, love, have a passion for, cures your ailments (health is a BIG reason people move south)...than that is great, and it's here to be had.

Final point is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, home is subjective to each individual person, happiness means different things to different people, money doesn't always buy happiness, life is what you make it, be smart, stay safe, and just live. Each experience in life makes you appreciate another one more. While you hated PG...it is part of your life's memories. You don't have to go back, and appreciate where you are now more for it. Let others take their own paths, make their own mistakes, and create their own memories.

I have a lot of friends who can't make a decision to save their lives, and are afraid every second of the day to take any risks. Life is way too short. Get out there. No decision you ever make is forever. If you live life that way, you will end up in the same town you grew up in, and will die in. Too much world out there for me!

Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You have many valid points. However, I have to add a few of my own. (it's who I am). I too have lived in 6 states, and numerous cities. I too would take some of them over any city in Florida. However, as stated, my husband is a captain. We HAVE to live in a warm water area that is coastal. I wouldn't live in the coastal areas of Texas, the Carolinas don't have the boating and fishing off-shore that Florida does; north of that is cold more than half the year. So, I guess we are the exception. However, we truly don't know what the OP does for a living. I consult from home for a very good salary, so my location makes no difference.

I have lived in the Tampa Bay area (liked it for some reasons, hated it for others..but that is everywhere. There is no UTOPIA) I traveled for work to Orlando regularly...you can have that town. Sure, Disney etc. but otherwise, loads of crappy areas, crime, NO WATER whatsoever (talk about ridiculous..you get all the bad that Florida has and you can't even have a beach LOL) I traveled once per month to PSL...didn't care for it, but didn't live there. Spent weeks at a time in Daytona for work....some cute beach towns by Ormond etc, but otherwise too "redneck" for me. We are now in Jacksonville, and I can't stand it here. It's Florida, but it should be Georgia. It has nothing that I love about Florida, is HUGE and you can't get anywhere without having to drive highways. To me, Jacksonville is almost the worst. I have never been to PG or FT Myers, but I've heard much of what you say.

You kind of hit the nail on the head about the job, home etc. Home will be happy for anyone who feels connected. A city can have every ammenity possible, good housing etc., but if you don't fit in....you'll never be happy. Not the city's fault, just reality.

I grew up in Ohio. I have NOTHING negative to say about Cleveland suburbs (where I grew up), but Cincinnati is a dump....went to college there. I miss the East side suburbs of Cleveland, and make sure I visit when I can. (I still have family up there). However, while you are doing well there...it is not a growing place either. My family has a business there we've owned since the 20's. It is dying dying dying there. Glad you are doing well, but it's not a place for anyone but someone local who grew up there and can appreciate what it offers. Show me where people are migrating to Ohio somewhere! LOL

Any location is subjective. While I hate Jax, I have friends who grew up in NYC, and love it. I don't fault them for that, or even question it. NP is also NOT PG. Yes, what is going on in Cape coral is the assessment placed on homeowners for public utilities. so what? Did people never think that was going to happen??????? The problem is all the people who OVERSPENT for their homes. Bottom line. If you didn't overspend, the $18K assessment to have public utilities is less money than to put new floors in your home, or re-do a kitchen. Improper budgeting is the problem, and ignorance to the fact that they bought a home with a septic system, and act like they had no clue they would ever get socked with an assessment. Seriously....I don't feel for them there. It's common sense. Maybe they all used the same real estate agent who forgot to tell them. I feel badly for people who got snowed by mortgage brokers, and for people who can't find work, and for people who lost their jobs, and for people who are unhappy b/c something awful unexpectedly happened in their lives...but I am tired of everyone not taking responsibility for anything, and then saying whoa is me. If you buy a home in NP..make sure you budget for an eventual assessment. Make sure you talk to the county about how it gets paid. Ask your mortgage company to take more into your escrow for those kind of emergencies. BE SMART!

The beach doesn't cure all woes...no. However, if the beach is something you crave, love, have a passion for, cures your ailments (health is a BIG reason people move south)...than that is great, and it's here to be had.

Final point is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, home is subjective to each individual person, happiness means different things to different people, money doesn't always buy happiness, life is what you make it, be smart, stay safe, and just live. Each experience in life makes you appreciate another one more. While you hated PG...it is part of your life's memories. You don't have to go back, and appreciate where you are now more for it. Let others take their own paths, make their own mistakes, and create their own memories.

I have a lot of friends who can't make a decision to save their lives, and are afraid every second of the day to take any risks. Life is way too short. Get out there. No decision you ever make is forever. If you live life that way, you will end up in the same town you grew up in, and will die in. Too much world out there for me!
What can I say LEWLEW you 've out done yourself again.Absolutely right beauty is in the eyeof the beholder. The places she mentioned are not exactly BEAUTIFUL and JAX don't even go there! But, again for someone from NYC it might be PARADISE because GOD only knows what they were used too. I am having the same problem I live in the BEAUTIFUL city of NAPLES(regardless of what anybody sayz) and am struggling to find somewhere half as decent.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,380,481 times
LewLew and 121804: Beautiful posts. Nicely said without attacking each other! Kudos to both of you!

121804: How is Ohio? I can't DM you, but was wondering how you are doing?

JJJNEY: You can't find anything the same or better than Naples because that is your hometown. I understand that, all too well, I'm afraid.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
LewLew and 121804: Beautiful posts. Nicely said without attacking each other! Kudos to both of you!

121804: How is Ohio? I can't DM you, but was wondering how you are doing?

JJJNEY: You can't find anything the same or better than Naples because that is your hometown. I understand that, all too well, I'm afraid.
Why, ThankYou! yes I believe you are right. But, I will not give up and will send out a post when I find my new PARADISE.... and NO I am not dreaming nothing is impossible.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,380,481 times
Well, yes, you can do that, too, JJJNEY.

I was born in Massachusetts and lived there for 34 years, then moved to Orlando and then lived in southwest Florida for about 10 years.

I've been in Knoxville for over two years. I like it better than Florida, that's for sure. It's more like New England, for what that's worth.

Still, I'm thinking of moving to The Midwest. It might be closer to what I am use to.

I so understand your dilemma. I was priced out of my hometown, too. I may spend the rest of my life trying to move back to where I came from. Too bad I can't afford it!

<<Hugs>> to you, girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida