U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,995,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
LewLew and 121804: Beautiful posts. Nicely said without attacking each other! Kudos to both of you!

121804: How is Ohio? I can't DM you, but was wondering how you are doing?

JJJNEY: You can't find anything the same or better than Naples because that is your hometown. I understand that, all too well, I'm afraid.
I want to say something to everyone.
121804: Your family is in Ohio, and I am going to guess that is a lot of why you love it there. Our family is on the West Coast of Florida, so we understand some of it's faults, but being close to family regardless of them...is our paradise.(we are adopting, and it is pertinent to us to share this with our family and our child/ren.
JJJNEY: I think that is a lot of why you can't find another paradise. It's your hometown. Don't try to look for something to top it; try to look for something that offers a new adventure for you while having some of the same things you love about it
hiknapster: All the negative we see on these boards I believe is truly people trying to defend what they love. Everyone knows the negatives, and no one would visit the boards if all was candycanes and butterflies LOL...we all love to debate, I think. Where you do live hiknapster.
FringedNFab: You too will find your own private idaho. Take EVERYTHING here with a grain of salt. The right place should hit you like a ton of bricks, but don't think it will be PERFECT. No one is happy who constantly looks for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
What can I say LEWLEW you 've out done yourself again.Absolutely right beauty is in the eyeof the beholder. The places she mentioned are not exactly BEAUTIFUL and JAX don't even go there! But, again for someone from NYC it might be PARADISE because GOD only knows what they were used too. I am having the same problem I live in the BEAUTIFUL city of NAPLES(regardless of what anybody sayz) and am struggling to find somewhere half as decent.
I think Naples is gorgeous. Like I said...we own a condo on Marco Island. That area is wonderful and lovely. We've never looked there b/c of price. Purely price. I don't think you'll find another place like Naples. However, my guess is you need to stay on that coast for sure. I'm glad to see you say JAX..forget it! LOL I went on the Jax board and they are all positive about it. I sometimes feel it's me...but as we say, I just don't fit...or..Jax doesn't fit me. I'm more laid back, but less country I think.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,363,062 times
Hey Miss LewLew! Refer to the post before yours. It will explain where I am from, where I went, and where I am going!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Well, yes, you can do that, too, JJJNEY.

I was born in Massachusetts and lived there for 34 years, then moved to Orlando and then lived in southwest Florida for about 10 years.

I've been in Knoxville for over two years. I like it better than Florida, that's for sure. It's more like New England, for what that's worth.

Still, I'm thinking of moving to The Midwest. It might be closer to what I am use to.

I so understand your dilemma. I was priced out of my hometown, too. I may spend the rest of my life trying to move back to where I came from. Too bad I can't afford it!

<<Hugs>> to you, girl!
Ahhhhh, I see. Well, my husband is from Connecticut, but hates it and never wants to see it again. It's a childhood thing, not really the place. If you are contemplating the midwest at all...check out the following:
1. Chicago, and area suburbs! Most fantastic city every created. I would move back there in the blink of an eye if my husband could change careers (he's a yacht broker and captain)..so we're in FL for good.
2. Cleveland area suburbs on the East side of Cleveland. Shaker Heights (should remind you of New England, and they have a very nice lake...despite what some might say) Kirkland, Russell Township, Chagrin Falls, Chesterland, Pepper Pike, Beachwood, Solon etc. GORGEOUS! Great cultural city too. I know, hard to believe, but true.
3. Indianapolis: Very inexpensive, and lovely. BUT, might be too TN for you. LOL
4. Maryland's Eastern Shore. My friends just moved back to Chestertown, and it's fantastic.

Happy hunting for you.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:20 PM

One last thing hiknapster
Our other friends lived in Boston for 30 some odd years, and moved to Charlotte. They LOVE it there. Maybe that is a place to check out.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:03 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,363,062 times
Thanks sweetie (LewLew)! This is exactly the advice I was looking for.

However, it's not going to help our friend JJJNEY. I think she should wait it out and see if she can get a deal. Naples is one of the most overvalued places in the country. You just don't hear much about it anymore, since they received all the negative press. The Naples Board of Realtors stopped posting all the stats. No kidding.

JJJNEY: If you can, try to stay. Prices are going down, not up. Hold on to your hometown, if you can.

I'm really interested in older architecture. That really ruled out Florida. Don't ask why I moved there. Long story. I think I touched on it, once, but very briefly. Not a nice story.

Tell your husband I am from the northeast corner of CT. Lived in Mass, though, but right on the line. Grew up around beautiful old Victorians in a small town.

So that's my point, too. I'm not use to cities. I like Knoxville. It's decent. It's just that the older homes are in a very bad area. I don't care for the other homes, or the sprawl. And living next to Oak Ridge really freaks me out.

I like the people a lot, and we have decent jobs, for the area, but there are a lot of transplants moving in, and I am really trying to avoid that.

So...guess what? My husband is FROM Chicago. He moved to Fort Myers when he was 12. I've looked at the houses in Chicago online and I almost fell over. Now THAT's architecture!

And what you said about Cleveland I find interesting. I know little about The Midwest.

Thank you so much!

I think we would do well near a city, with great food and the arts, but in a smaller town. I'd love an older home. The prices are right. My husband is an auto mechanic, he's a foreman, right now. Was a foreman in Fort Myers, too.

I work for Comcast. Have worked for BellSouth and Sony.

Any ideas?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,432,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
2. Cleveland area suburbs on the East side of Cleveland. Shaker Heights (should remind you of New England, and they have a very nice lake...despite what some might say) Kirkland, Russell Township, Chagrin Falls, Chesterland, Pepper Pike, Beachwood, Solon etc. GORGEOUS! Great cultural city too. I know, hard to believe, but true.
A TON to be said for Chagrin Falls

Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
121804: How is Ohio? I can't DM you, but was wondering how you are doing?
It is going well; thanks for asking. There was no love lost leaving Punta Gorda & I felt a wave of relief packing up our stuff. It works for us & this is where we've wanted to be for several years based on family & friends. It's not for everyone & I'll be the first to say But I am from here, my parents are here along with brothers & SILs who all have young kids like us. That was the number one reason we wanted to move back. If it were just the two of us, we'd be ok anywhere but our priorities changed with the arrival of our son.

Saw you mentioned looking at Chicago homes online...give me some major money & I'd love to live in an area called Lincoln Park. My husband went to college in Chicago & adores the place. I have family there. It is a really cool city with so much to do,culture & history.

Check out a city called Naperville.

Ditto what Lewlew said about Charlotte. My brother lives there & we visited him while making the drive up north. Really neat area. He loves it there & has no intention of leaving.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
1. Chicago, and area suburbs! Most fantastic city every created.
I have to agree with you 100% on that! It is one of our favorite cities & we never miss an opportunity to visit. Taxes are out of this world there, though. In Lombard, people have to pay a special fee for garbage pickup on top of city taxes

Old 11-29-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I have to agree with you 100% on that! It is one of our favorite cities & we never miss an opportunity to visit. Taxes are out of this world there, though. In Lombard, people have to pay a special fee for garbage pickup on top of city taxes
Yes, true. I lived in Licoln Park for a year, then in Old Town (right there but in an older brownstone), Then on the 27th floor of McClurg Court overlooking the river. The western suburbs are very nice. Schaumburg, Naperville, and others. LOVE IT!

I agree...family is the most important thing for us. As I stated, I would leave Florida for other areas, but my mom is here, my in-laws, brother-in-law etc. That is why I think my husband and I would do fine in Venice. Is quaint, family is there, and the beach. We are adopting internationally (from Ukraine), and NP has one of the largest Ukrainian populations in FL, which I think will be important in keeping him somewhat connected to his native culture. All that is the main reason for the defensiveness of NP.

Also, TOTALLY agree with you on Chagrin Falls. If anyone likes older homes, that is SURELY the place to go, with such a great downtown area...it's almost Norman Rockwell! However, the culture of the Cleveland area is close by.

Last edited by LewLew; 11-29-2007 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: I meant to say Lake, not River
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida