Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,337,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Thanks sweetie (LewLew)! This is exactly the advice I was looking for.

However, it's not going to help our friend JJJNEY. I think she should wait it out and see if she can get a deal. Naples is one of the most overvalued places in the country. You just don't hear much about it anymore, since they received all the negative press. The Naples Board of Realtors stopped posting all the stats. No kidding.

JJJNEY: If you can, try to stay. Prices are going down, not up. Hold on to your hometown, if you can.

I'm really interested in older architecture. That really ruled out Florida. Don't ask why I moved there. Long story. I think I touched on it, once, but very briefly. Not a nice story.

Tell your husband I am from the northeast corner of CT. Lived in Mass, though, but right on the line. Grew up around beautiful old Victorians in a small town.

So that's my point, too. I'm not use to cities. I like Knoxville. It's decent. It's just that the older homes are in a very bad area. I don't care for the other homes, or the sprawl. And living next to Oak Ridge really freaks me out.

I like the people a lot, and we have decent jobs, for the area, but there are a lot of transplants moving in, and I am really trying to avoid that.

So...guess what? My husband is FROM Chicago. He moved to Fort Myers when he was 12. I've looked at the houses in Chicago online and I almost fell over. Now THAT's architecture!

And what you said about Cleveland I find interesting. I know little about The Midwest.

Thank you so much!

I think we would do well near a city, with great food and the arts, but in a smaller town. I'd love an older home. The prices are right. My husband is an auto mechanic, he's a foreman, right now. Was a foreman in Fort Myers, too.

I work for Comcast. Have worked for BellSouth and Sony.

Any ideas?
JJJENY will find her niche in Naples, or very close thereto. Estero I hear is much more affordable, and very close by.

Too bad you didn't check out Jacksonville when you lived in Florida. I live in Mandarin, and my neighbors home was built in 1911. Beautiful. There is also an area called Avondale that is on the river with GORGEOUS old homes. A mixture of architectural styles...some spanish mansions, some large front porch center hall, some ornate victorians with all the lovely spindles etc. There are huge tudors, just a lovely area. Jacksonville is almost all brick homes (in my area). It's close to St. Augustine, and there is a lot to do here. Just not my style. I like Avondale, but the schools system isn't good, and it would price us out of private school.

Do for sure check out Chagrin Falls if you look at Cleveland. Google it, and check out the homes. Also, check out Charlotte, but I don't think there are a lot of older affordable homes...a lot of subdivisions. Some of the homes have the charm of older homes, but are newly built.

Hopefully all of us will get settled where we are happy, and enjoy whatever comes with it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,163,143 times
Oh, you people are killing me. Norman Rockwell is my favorite artist. I met him once. I had to have been nine. It was in Stockbridge.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 PM

354 posts, read 1,270,976 times
Default This thread got some traction !!!

I was driving to Cape Coral today on Rt 75 and then thru PG on Burnt Store Road etc. I hadn't been down in awhile since I sold my business in NFM.
I noticed (again) all the real nice houses in NP near 75. I have to remember when I dump a negative comment out here that I should find some balance. NP has some nice stuff. Of course NP just busted another sophisticated grow house. The rougher neighborhoods are usually the older ones with the smaller homes but the nice NP neighborhoods are all new stuff.

Anyway, I bought a used drum set from a guy in NW Cape Coral. Lots of nice houses in that area. His family had just moved there after selling there house. He's in construction and almost out of work. They are now renting a very nice house for $1000 a month...He said a funny thing that he didn't think he had any neighbors (vacant houses). I drove up Pine Island Rd in CC and saw new Super Target that went up in the past 6 months and other new commercial. Stopped in FM to see a friend at MC shop on 41. They were busy. New business just moved in for cheap rent. 2 years ago you couldn't find any retail space and it would have cost double.

We have well/septic in So. Venice and there is talk of hooking up to Englewood water district at some point. I know a vote was taken and shot down I would guess just on money reasons. I think at some EPA/Govt will get involved and we will have to convert at some point. I guess it's just like my neighborhood in Mass. I remember we had septic and had to connect to the new line when they dug up the street back in the 60's.

I don't have a lot of neighbors. Some are snowbirds so I can beat on my new drums without many complaints for now.....

Old 11-30-2007, 03:41 AM

393 posts, read 1,733,813 times
Hiknapster- Grew up in south side Chicago -great city, but too too cold for me, but many, many different burbs to choose from, city livin too expensive. If not for the cold, I'd be back. Lived many years in So. IL. Very rural, depressed economy, but good buys on housing/land. Lived 5 glorious years in Sarasota, would move back in a heartbeat if I could comfortably afford it and not have to work. Miss it and my friends terribly. Now in Springfield MO (midwest?, you decide) nice fit for some, but not us. Lots of inward migration here,lots of white flight folks. I think demographics here is like 90+% cauc. I'm sure there would be more if they could sell their out of state houses. Lots of Cali folks. Looking into Knoxville, but Oak Ridge IS kind of scary. Looking into Nashville....looking, looking, looking. Looking for another Sarasota, but, alas, I think there's only one..... Sorry for the highjacking folks, just felt the urge to vent.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
I was driving to Cape Coral today on Rt 75 and then thru PG on Burnt Store Road etc. I hadn't been down in awhile since I sold my business in NFM.
I noticed (again) all the real nice houses in NP near 75. I have to remember when I dump a negative comment out here that I should find some balance. NP has some nice stuff. Of course NP just busted another sophisticated grow house. The rougher neighborhoods are usually the older ones with the smaller homes but the nice NP neighborhoods are all new stuff.

Anyway, I bought a used drum set from a guy in NW Cape Coral. Lots of nice houses in that area. His family had just moved there after selling there house. He's in construction and almost out of work. They are now renting a very nice house for $1000 a month...He said a funny thing that he didn't think he had any neighbors (vacant houses). I drove up Pine Island Rd in CC and saw new Super Target that went up in the past 6 months and other new commercial. Stopped in FM to see a friend at MC shop on 41. They were busy. New business just moved in for cheap rent. 2 years ago you couldn't find any retail space and it would have cost double.

We have well/septic in So. Venice and there is talk of hooking up to Englewood water district at some point. I know a vote was taken and shot down I would guess just on money reasons. I think at some EPA/Govt will get involved and we will have to convert at some point. I guess it's just like my neighborhood in Mass. I remember we had septic and had to connect to the new line when they dug up the street back in the 60's.

I don't have a lot of neighbors. Some are snowbirds so I can beat on my new drums without many complaints for now.....
My husband and I might rent a home in Venice. One of the neighborhoods of Center. We like it there, but have big dogs, and truly it doesn't appear that any neighborhoods allow fences...or...no one uses them. (not sure which). That is another reason we are contemplating NP. Not just for animals, but children. I would feel much safer having a fenced in yard since most things back up to some sort of moat, canal, pond etc. Right now, in Jacksonville, we have 3/4 of an acre that is fully fenced in, pool, and a cul-de-sac street. Our home is a brick ranch style home which is lovely, but reminds me too much of the North. If we have to stay in Florida, give me Florida. Jacksonville makes me feel like I went to a steakhouse and ordered chicken! LOL I love the North, but the true North and midwest...not Jax. How long have you lived in So. Venice?

Old 11-30-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Hiknapster- Grew up in south side Chicago -great city, but too too cold for me, but many, many different burbs to choose from, city livin too expensive. If not for the cold, I'd be back. Lived many years in So. IL. Very rural, depressed economy, but good buys on housing/land. Lived 5 glorious years in Sarasota, would move back in a heartbeat if I could comfortably afford it and not have to work. Miss it and my friends terribly. Now in Springfield MO (midwest?, you decide) nice fit for some, but not us. Lots of inward migration here,lots of white flight folks. I think demographics here is like 90+% cauc. I'm sure there would be more if they could sell their out of state houses. Lots of Cali folks. Looking into Knoxville, but Oak Ridge IS kind of scary. Looking into Nashville....looking, looking, looking. Looking for another Sarasota, but, alas, I think there's only one..... Sorry for the highjacking folks, just felt the urge to vent.
It's nice to see someone who loves Sarasota area. We do too! I hope you find your spot. Can you not move back to Florida at all?

Old 11-30-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, you people are killing me. Norman Rockwell is my favorite artist. I met him once. I had to have been nine. It was in Stockbridge.
Funny....as stated, my family ownes a business in a Cleveland suburb. When I was a child, I remember all the Normal Rockwell paintings thorughout the store. I loved them! Normal Rockwell is a huge childhood memory of mine. I never met him though. LOL

I think you might really like some suburbs of Cleveland. Chagrin Falls for sure, Chesterland, Russell. Those areas still have small 4th of July parades with homemade ice cream shops, lattice gazebos in the city centers, streets lined with American Flags. Just absolutely LOVELY. My husband likes it to, but his job keeps us in Florida. I wouldn't move back to the cold unless I could move back to Chicago or Chagrin Falls areas.

On the flip side, Chagrin Falls is close to Beachwood Place, which has upscale stores (Nordstrom, Saks), as well as Whole Foods, Trader Joes (my absolute favorite), and all sorts of great cultural events. Chagrin Falls downtown has boutiques, art stores, great furniture galleries, spas, homemade ice cream and candy shops, coffee houses, bookstores etc.

It might truly be the place for you.....Enough of what CT and MA have to offer, but also quaint. Again, it's what I call suburbarural. LOL

Old 11-30-2007, 06:16 AM

57 posts, read 233,026 times
My family and I will also be moving to the area soon, within the next 30 days. Having talked to people in the area most seem to point me toward the Englewood/ Rotunda area vs North Port. Just wondering what those of you famialar with the area think, which you would choose to raise a young family in? LewLew, you gave some great suggestions on another thread, curious what your thoughts are on these neighborhoods. Hope I didn't sidetrack the thread.............

Old 11-30-2007, 06:30 AM

774 posts, read 2,374,802 times
I didn't have time to read this whole thread but I'll just jump in anyway.

I'm not trying to project myself as an "expert" on this subject because I've only been living in North Port for a few months but.....

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS AREA!

It's very well suited to our lifestyle. I'm into Tennis, biking, swimming, walking, and I'm basically doing that almost every day.

I'm working in Arcadia, which is 35 minute drive, but absolutely NO TRAFFIC at all.

I've been biking for many years and I've never seen anything better. North port also has a biking group (Coastal Cruisers) which is supposed to be the best in the entire region. They bike at all levels from beginner on up and plan bike trips all over, especially Englewood, etc.

Also, coworkers of mine who live in North Port (with young children) basically say the same thing.

I would spend time in the area and talk with lots of people, and make up your own mind.

Good Luck
Mikey

Old 11-30-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I didn't have time to read this whole thread but I'll just jump in anyway.

I'm not trying to project myself as an "expert" on this subject because I've only been living in North Port for a few months but.....

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS AREA!

It's very well suited to our lifestyle. I'm into Tennis, biking, swimming, walking, and I'm basically doing that almost every day.

I'm working in Arcadia, which is 35 minute drive, but absolutely NO TRAFFIC at all.

I've been biking for many years and I've never seen anything better. North port also has a biking group (Coastal Cruisers) which is supposed to be the best in the entire region. They bike at all levels from beginner on up and plan bike trips all over, especially Englewood, etc.

Also, coworkers of mine who live in North Port (with young children) basically say the same thing.

I would spend time in the area and talk with lots of people, and make up your own mind.

Good Luck
Mikey
Glad to see you like the area. We were just down there looking around. Like Venice too, for proximity to the beach. (Big boaters, as husband is captian and broker) We are young 30's...adopting a toddler from Ukraine! i noticed the HUGE Ukrainian church on Price and Biscayne, etc. We know we could get an GREAT house, or rent for a year. However, we want to be sure there is enough there for us...used to larger, busier areas. BUT, staying there in our parent's home...the silence at night was fantastic.! A growing family requires space, which NP has. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida