U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,996,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3tsabo View Post
My family and I will also be moving to the area soon, within the next 30 days. Having talked to people in the area most seem to point me toward the Englewood/ Rotunda area vs North Port. Just wondering what those of you famialar with the area think, which you would choose to raise a young family in? LewLew, you gave some great suggestions on another thread, curious what your thoughts are on these neighborhoods. Hope I didn't sidetrack the thread.............
Funny that you mention Rotunda. We vacationed in a rental home in Placida (right by Rotunda) It was lovely there, but very very small, and everyone was retired. I would definitely not suggest that area to a young family. Honestly, Englewood, Venice, even NP would be better. (Charleston Park in NP has loads of kids and young families) Also, not sure if anyone else can relate, but we drove into Rotunda to look at some homes, and got turned around. The place is a wagon wheel for cryin' out loud! LOL Maybe we're stupid, but it took US FOREVER to get back out on the right side of the wheel to go home. LOL We even stopped in a model home, and the woman couldn't even get us back out of there. There are some great deals to be had in Cape Haze, Placida, Rotunda, but being a young family ourselves, I wouldn't choose it. That is why we started looking a little closer to Sarasota, and only Sarasota county.

Oh, the good thing about Rotunda is it's proximity to Boca Grande. However, living in Englewood wouldn't be too far either! Good luck to you.
Lastly, I mentioned in an earlier thread that you need to make sure you check into the neighborhoods...some don't allow fences. I was not comfortable with that as many homes are close proximity to fresh water canals, ponds, moats etc. Even golf courses...Alligators are there, and in those areas. It's enough having to watch your child around a pool...but not being able to secure them away from those ponds concerned me. As well as not being able to secure our backyard from that wildlife. (I love animals, so I hope no one is going to get on my case that I said that. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 06:48 AM

d3tsabo:
One more thing...North Port is really putting alot into their schools. The Rotunda area is very poor in that area. While you'll be working in Lee County, I would truly suggest keeping your children in a Sarasota County school system. Just my thought!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:16 AM

76 posts, read 203,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well, yes, you can do that, too, JJJNEY.

I was born in Massachusetts and lived there for 34 years, then moved to Orlando and then lived in southwest Florida for about 10 years.

I've been in Knoxville for over two years. I like it better than Florida, that's for sure. It's more like New England, for what that's worth.

Still, I'm thinking of moving to The Midwest. It might be closer to what I am use to.

I so understand your dilemma. I was priced out of my hometown, too. I may spend the rest of my life trying to move back to where I came from. Too bad I can't afford it!

<<Hugs>> to you, girl!
Thanks! it so nice to have ppl understand were you are coming from! on a different thread I was getting hit pretty hard for defending Naples LEWLEW you should check it out I am sure you will have lots to say. Thanks again everybody!!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
Thanks! it so nice to have ppl understand were you are coming from! on a different thread I was getting hit pretty hard for defending Naples LEWLEW you should check it out I am sure you will have lots to say. Thanks again everybody!!
the thread is "NO MORE NAPLES" NIKNAPSTER you know which one I am talking about. you posted on there. LEWLEW this should keep you entertained LOL

Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 PM

57 posts, read 216,834 times
LewLew, thank you as always for your input, reading all your posts you seem to have a good understanding what we are looking for. Question for Mikey2, having lived there awhile now what areas of North Port would you recommend for a young family? You seem to have the same interest as ours, we just need to tack on three little ones with everything we do. Thanks for the input!

Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 PM

57 posts, read 216,834 times
Unfortunately I don't have time to come down and look around. My job has me heading down there by the end of the month and need to find a place before then. At most I will have one or two days to visit the area.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,906,733 times
Well, one area I've done a lot of bike riding through is Lakeside Plantation, which is off Toledo Blade.

I really like that community and one section of it (Scarlett Dr) is full of families with young children.

I think Lakeside has city water and septic, which is something important that other people have mentioned.

Obviously, with this housing recession, I see some "very attractive" deals out there.... to say the least.

Check around, ask lots of questions.
I know I did..... I spent quite a bit of time in SW Florida over the past two years, and I spoke to everyone who would speak to me about how they like North Port.

Good Luck ... you can PM me if you have other questions,

Mikey

Old 11-30-2007, 05:11 PM

360 posts, read 1,729,079 times
All of us should get together once we all make it down. The ones who are moving where we are, I mean. (Englewood-NP general area) Would be fun! ; )

Old 11-30-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
All of us should get together once we all make it down. The ones who are moving where we are, I mean. (Englewood-NP general area) Would be fun! ; )
Definetly!!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Well, one area I've done a lot of bike riding through is Lakeside Plantation, which is off Toledo Blade.

I really like that community and one section of it (Scarlett Dr) is full of families with young children.

I think Lakeside has city water and septic, which is something important that other people have mentioned.

Obviously, with this housing recession, I see some "very attractive" deals out there.... to say the least.

Check around, ask lots of questions.
I know I did..... I spent quite a bit of time in SW Florida over the past two years, and I spoke to everyone who would speak to me about how they like North Port.

Good Luck ... you can PM me if you have other questions,

Mikey
My other message was deleted for some reason....also check out Charleston Park. I think you stated you were going to work near the PC mall. I've heard of Lakeside too..but didn't visit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida