U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,995,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
I woke up to our first snowstorm and a thick blanket of white this morning, I was not happy! BLEH
Well...this will probably be the last pretty snow you see...so enjoy it. After this, it'll all be ice, sludge and brown. LOL
Today was chilly here...high of 73.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:02 AM

360 posts, read 1,728,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Well...this will probably be the last pretty snow you see...so enjoy it. After this, it'll all be ice, sludge and brown. LOL
Today was chilly here...high of 73.
HUSH! lol I bet to Floridians this is PERFECT weather down there huh.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
HUSH! lol I bet to Floridians this is PERFECT weather down there huh.
Yes...I don't mind the heat in the winter (even in the 80's) b/c the humidity of summer has left for the season. When I got up this morning, and had to put on socks..it reminds me of why I left the north so many years ago.
Last night we opened the lanai, turned on the pool lights, and lit a fire in the fireplace in the family room. Very nice. It was about 50 degrees.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:20 PM

57 posts, read 216,805 times
Sorry, have been off a few days, training for the new job in Ohio this week. Getting hit with snow up here now and can't get to Florida fast enough. Shannon, THANK YOU, the information you provided was great (your's was great too, LewLew). I did send you an e-mail last week and never received a reply, but the area you mentioned sounds exactly what we are looking for. However, we haven't seen anything online in that sub-division, if you know of any please e-mail directly at dltsabo@yahoo.com, I don't want you to get in trouble for discussing this on the forum. As for LewLew and FringedNFab, guess I am the old one at 38, hope that doesn't disuade you from moving to North Port with another retiree on the way. Two weeks and counting...............................

Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3tsabo View Post
Sorry, have been off a few days, training for the new job in Ohio this week. Getting hit with snow up here now and can't get to Florida fast enough. Shannon, THANK YOU, the information you provided was great (your's was great too, LewLew). I did send you an e-mail last week and never received a reply, but the area you mentioned sounds exactly what we are looking for. However, we haven't seen anything online in that sub-division, if you know of any please e-mail directly at dltsabo@yahoo.com, I don't want you to get in trouble for discussing this on the forum. As for LewLew and FringedNFab, guess I am the old one at 38, hope that doesn't disuade you from moving to North Port with another retiree on the way. Two weeks and counting...............................
Nah, my best friend is 38. I like hanging out with old people. LMAO
There are not "current" listed rentals in there, but there are a couple homes for sale, that I bet would consider renting. There is one for sale furnished...I guarantee it. DM me, and I'll get all the info over to you. Shannon had sent to me previously.

Also, I went onto the NP site, and they are getting a Lowe's. Starting to build shortly, there is another plaza going in, and another one being voted on. There is also a med complex supposedly going in at the intersection where Shannon's office is, there is an upscale spa, there will be a Target, and a new Publix is opening shortly.

No, I think we are going to pick NP. We'll keep looking in Venice, but if we can't have a fence, and have to stare into our neighbors yard..not sure that is for us. We like a little space.

Seriously though...the Kidz Play Place has some great photos for you to check out. You can get an idea of the kids around there, and some parents photos. I also visited some of the elementary school sites, namely Lamarque and Toledo Blade. Yup, uniforms are required...even in the public schools. There are some great photos there to check out too.

DM me...we'll get more info to you.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,660 times
Default I love North Port

I have read some of the negative threads and quite frankly, they have me confused. I have lived in North Port for several years. I, too, am 33 years old. North Pt gives me that hometown feel with the luxuries of SW FL at my fingertips. My kids are getting very good educations at the Toledo Blade elementary and Heron Creek middle school and retail is going up all around me. I am excited about the growth possibilities in North Port and I think it's a great place to live! In my opinion, if I had to find something negative, the only downside is employment and conceding to a commute. However, I have been commuting to Ft Myers for years, I make over 100K and it's not a problem. I live close to I75 and the commute is only about 50 minutes. Just enough time to gather my thoughts and get my game plan together for the day. Good luck on your move, I think North Port is a great decision for anyone.

Last edited by corbcamp; 12-13-2007 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: missed words

Old 12-13-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbcamp View Post
I have read some of the negative threads and quite frankly, they have me confused. I have lived in North Port for several years. I, too, am 33 years old. North Pt gives me that hometown feel with the luxuries of SW FL at my fingertips. My kids are getting very good educations at the Toledo Blade elementary and Heron Creek middle school and retail is going up all around me. I am excited about the growth possibilities in North Port and I think it's a great place to live! In my opinion, if I had to find something negative, the only downside is employment and conceding to a commute. However, I have been commuting to Ft Myers for years, I make over 100K and it's not a problem. I live close to I75 and the commute is only about 50 minutes. Just enough time to gather my thoughts and get my game plan together for the day. Good luck on your move, I think North Port is a great decision for anyone.
Great to hear!!!!!!!!! My husband and I are moving over there (both 33) within the next few months hopefully! I have my final job interview next week, and he's transferring. Yipee! I'm glad to hear there are young families there who love it. We are looking for just what you speak of. I will make the same money as you, and my husband makes that money too, so I think we don't have to worry too much about the job market. However, we are still going to buy low, so someday I can quit! LOL We love that it is close to the beach, but yet still able to have large house, large lot, fence, peace and quiet. My inlaws live in NP, and my mom is moving to either Sabal Trace or Heron Creek, so we'll all be there....can't complain when family is that close. I know it will grow over time, and we'll be in at the beginning. (never been in that boat before). I love my agent, we'll be friends, and we just can not wait. I think the negative threads have to do with people who have to be stimulated by something to enjoy life, or who might have lost jobs, and are upside down. Otherwise, I'm not sure why there is negativity either. I don't care that we'll have septic and well...we'll plan for the cost of the changeover, and one of the homes we are viewing has public utilties. If we buy in Charleston Park, it's all public utilities. My best friend here lives in a huge home, with septic and well for irrigation, but public drinking water....she still doesn't drink it though. Anyway, thanks for the positive feed...that's what the OP was excited about.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 AM

6 posts, read 4,649 times
In my opinion North Port is a nice place to raise a family. Great schools, friendly neighbors, diversity, and commercial grouth is up 18%. It takes me 25 to 35 minutes to get to Sarasota, FL, where I work. I find most people living in North Port to be friendly and proud of their City.

I moved to North Port eight years ago from Sarasota. Unlike Sarasota people here are young and family oriented, there is little turism or non, and if you run out of things to do you can easyly drive to Sarasota or Fort Myers. Noth Port has quick acces to !-75 and Englewood beach is approx. 20 minutes away.

Toledo Blade Blvd and Sumter Blvd are currently being widen to 4 lanes, and the new Hospital and Target supercenter is now under construction.

Welcome to North Port, Florida

Old 12-28-2007, 04:48 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,405,280 times
Default North Port

I would say that North Port's not a bad place. Stay away from Riley Chase though, there seems to be a lot of crime going on there.

It's not far from either Venice or Port Charlotte, and they got in a new Wal-Mart and Home Depot about two years ago. I lived in Port Charlotte, but I've worked in North Port several times. They put in some new schools in the area. Twenty years or so ago, when I moved here from the Great White North (Chicago area), North Port had perhaps ONE elementary school, if that. No high schools, or really any public schools.

Rotonda, I would say, is quite a distance from shopping. As far as "stuff to do", I've always wondered exactly what people meant when they said that there is "nothing to do". There are beaches, and state parks within an hour or so of North Port, a bird sanctuary down in Punta Gorda, bars and restaurants abound. There are museums in Port Charlotte, Fort Myers, and Sarasota. There is a mall in Port Charlotte, about ten minutes from Sumter and 41. Venice and Port Charlotte have theaters. So I guess it's a matter of what you're looking for.

I lived in Port Charlotte from 1985 to 2001 (Deep Creek) except for brief stays in Punta Gorda. In 2001, I moved to Arcadia, only to move back about two years later. Then in 2005, I moved to Sebring, but only stayed six months before winding up in Bradenton. So I've lived in Florida for years. Never personally experienced any crime, just police harassment. Pretty much always held a job, but never owned any property--and I don't expect to EVER own property. I feel property all over the U.S. is overpriced.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 PM

360 posts, read 1,728,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Danzuela View Post
In my opinion North Port is a nice place to raise a family. Great schools, friendly neighbors, diversity, and commercial grouth is up 18%. It takes me 25 to 35 minutes to get to Sarasota, FL, where I work. I find most people living in North Port to be friendly and proud of their City.

I moved to North Port eight years ago from Sarasota. Unlike Sarasota people here are young and family oriented, there is little turism or non, and if you run out of things to do you can easyly drive to Sarasota or Fort Myers. Noth Port has quick acces to !-75 and Englewood beach is approx. 20 minutes away.

Toledo Blade Blvd and Sumter Blvd are currently being widen to 4 lanes, and the new Hospital and Target supercenter is now under construction.

Welcome to North Port, Florida
Thanks Tony!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida