U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,486 posts, read 19,928,838 times
Reputation: 2804

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You have a what?????? I hope someone shows me differently, but I have never heard of the city of North Port handing out certificates for houses "cleaned" of Chinese Drywall.

Btw, buy one of those houses and the house is saddled with that mark against if for a very long time. They aren't even sure of the lasting effects, "remedied" or not.

Run. Now.

Oh, and if you made an offer that is accepted, it should have a contingency for certified inspection. Most folks won't let you pull out of the deal just because you inspected it. Good gosh.
Yikes! I totally agree with Hik! I live in NP as well. I just put a call in to my former broker, her husband is one of the heads of the NP building dept-Bud Korte. I had to leave a message. I can almost guarantee you that the city did not issue any certificate like that.

OK, just spoke with Bud and he said no way. They would have to get a permit to take the old drywall down and put new up but they won't guarantee a thing.

Since your offer was just accepted I would investigate this, and quick. Call Bud up North Port, FL : Building Department : Korte, Bud and get the straight scoop. Just don't want to see you get a home with a ton of issues. If the home has CDW it could have electrical problems, plumbing problems, A/C problems as well as causing possible health issues.

Since you gave a general area I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the home was possibly built be Gulfstream or American Homes.

Just be careful and verify everything you're told. Good luck with it and I hope it all works out positively.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 06-26-2010 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,554 posts, read 47,336,711 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yikes! I totally agree with Hik! I live in NP as well. I just put a call in to my former broker, her husband is one of the heads of the NP building dept-Bud Korte. I had to leave a message. I can almost guarantee you that the city did not issue any certificate like that.

Since your offer was just accepted I would investigate this, and quick. Call Bud up North Port, FL : Building Department : Korte, Bud and get the straight scoop. Just don't want to see you get a home with a ton of issues. If the home has CDW it could have electrical problems, plumbing problems, A/C problems as well as causing possible health issues.

Since you gave a general area I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the home was possibly built be Gulfstream or American Homes.

Just be careful and verify everything you're told. Good luck with it and I hope it all works out positively.
We think alike.

I had gone onto their website. When you click on "Chinese Drywall" it brings you to a state of FL website. There is no certificate. This poor person is getting taken.

North Port, FL : Building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 PM
 
15,189 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Reputation: 18359
Awww, that poor lady! I am glad hiknapster and SoFLGal caught that! I am sure she is going to be grateful to you two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,865 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You have a what?????? I hope someone shows me differently, but I have never heard of the city of North Port handing out certificates for houses "cleaned" of Chinese Drywall.

Btw, buy one of those houses and the house is saddled with that mark against if for a very long time. They aren't even sure of the lasting effects, "remedied" or not.

Run. Now.

Oh, and if you made an offer that is accepted, it should have a contingency for certified inspection. Most folks won't let you pull out of the deal just because you inspected it. Good gosh.
yeah... it's so sad knowing the history of that house. today the home inspector didn't find any sign of cdw in that house. and my realtor called the county asked them if they can guarantee there will be no more problem with cdw, the county can't guarantee that, even they check everything already and that house is passed.

I am pretty sure that house is clean now, but still feel worry if 5 years from now or later on I'll have that kind of problem.

I like it so much, but I guess I have to let it go.
finding a house isn't easy at all, but still I'd like to find a house in that area by toledo blade, and maybe I prefer to find a house with year build under 2003.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,486 posts, read 19,928,838 times
Reputation: 2804
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofbratboy View Post
yeah... it's so sad knowing the history of that house. today the home inspector didn't find any sign of cdw in that house. and my realtor called the county asked them if they can guarantee there will be no more problem with cdw, the county can't guarantee that, even they check everything already and that house is passed.

I am pretty sure that house is clean now, but still feel worry if 5 years from now or later on I'll have that kind of problem.

I like it so much, but I guess I have to let it go.
finding a house isn't easy at all, but still I'd like to find a house in that area by toledo blade, and maybe I prefer to find a house with year build under 2003.

Thanks
Actually, there are quite a few homes close to Toledo Blade. I just did a quick search and came up with 65 homes-using 3/2, 2000 or newer-no short sales. I searched from Chamberlain Blvd to Haberland Blvd.

There's pretty nice home on Orchard that's bank owned home. It just came on the market. There's another bank owned home on Yankee Terr that looks decent from the pics. I don't have any first hand knowledge on either home other than what is listed in the MLS.

Then there's a pretty nice pool home on Yalta Terr that's on a double lot. You should have your agent pull up a new list and get it over to you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at some of the homes that have just been listed.

Good luck with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 03:39 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,865 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yikes! I totally agree with Hik! I live in NP as well. I just put a call in to my former broker, her husband is one of the heads of the NP building dept-Bud Korte. I had to leave a message. I can almost guarantee you that the city did not issue any certificate like that.

OK, just spoke with Bud and he said no way. They would have to get a permit to take the old drywall down and put new up but they won't guarantee a thing.

Since your offer was just accepted I would investigate this, and quick. Call Bud up North Port, FL : Building Department : Korte, Bud and get the straight scoop. Just don't want to see you get a home with a ton of issues. If the home has CDW it could have electrical problems, plumbing problems, A/C problems as well as causing possible health issues.

Since you gave a general area I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the home was possibly built be Gulfstream or American Homes.

Just be careful and verify everything you're told. Good luck with it and I hope it all works out positively.
Thanks soflgal,
once I thought it's a certificate but it's a building permit or inspection sheet
permit : drywall
and below are initials already:

electrical - rough
hvac - rough
plumbing - tub set/ 2nd rough
building - framing
building - insulation
building - final
electrical - final
hvac - final
plumbing - final
electric - t pole/temp power

the listing realtor said to my realtor:

"the city required the seller to hire a licenced general contractor who then had to hire a licenced electrician to take care of all electrical work, the ac coils, plumbing valves were replaced along with the defective drywall. new fans in all rooms, new towel bars, new baseboards and all most all faucets are new as well, seller also installed new granite counter tops and a self timed water irrigation system for the plam tree and plans."

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 03:43 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,865 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Actually, there are quite a few homes close to Toledo Blade. I just did a quick search and came up with 65 homes-using 3/2, 2000 or newer-no short sales. I searched from Chamberlain Blvd to Haberland Blvd.

There's pretty nice home on Orchard that's bank owned home. It just came on the market. There's another bank owned home on Yankee Terr that looks decent from the pics. I don't have any first hand knowledge on either home other than what is listed in the MLS.

Then there's a pretty nice pool home on Yalta Terr that's on a double lot. You should have your agent pull up a new list and get it over to you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at some of the homes that have just been listed.

Good luck with it!
I've visited house at yankee terr already, it's nice but need a lot of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,904 posts, read 6,115,998 times
Reputation: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacdo View Post
snipped....
I would by no means describe NP as either laid back or 'old Florida' as the OP had alluded to. I'd suggest looking at Punta Gorda which is a nicer (imo) town in the same general region. I have no idea about real estate prices there now, maybe a little higher than NP but probably worth it. Punta Gorda feels more like an actual town whereas NP is more just a couple of retail strips surrounded by subdivisions. Actually, this describes a lot of SW Florida in general. Port Charlotte is another place that consists mainly of a long retail strip with subdivisions branching off from it. This design works for a lot of people, I guess. Anyway. we took the same money from NP Estates and bought a 50 acre farm in the Shenandoah Valley, never looked back. Good luck with your move.
I agree with you here. I love Punta Gorda. If you are still around, how is the valley thing going. I would move to the Shenandoah Valley in a heartbeat. Beautiful area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 AM
 
1 posts, read 869 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
In short, I'm not looking to move to Miami.
dear FringedNFab,
I assume you did finally move to the North Port Area. I live in North Port as well, And I find it very nice. Im 39 and do have a 14 yr old son, but I think North Port is friendly, and close to so many places to spend the day if I choose to go, or I can spend the day at home in a quiet neighborhood relaxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top