U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:10 PM

360 posts, read 1,728,061 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm new to this, but love all the insight reading all these posts about Southwest Florida. And what some hate, others LOVE! And this could be said anywhere really, no matter where you live. Anyway I'm hoping to move down by late Winter '08 or early Spring. Are there any other younger couples or singles who find North Port exciting and a great place to live? I've been to Clearwater Beach on vacation once, but that was around 1998. And am looking for something non-touristy and more laid back "Old-Florida" as people call it. Even though I am only 33! And North Port seems the best so far... Any Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:40 AM

272 posts, read 1,407,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to this, but love all the insight reading all these posts about Southwest Florida. And what some hate, others LOVE! And this could be said anywhere really, no matter where you live. Anyway I'm hoping to move down by late Winter '08 or early Spring. Are there any other younger couples or singles who find North Port exciting and a great place to live? I've been to Clearwater Beach on vacation once, but that was around 1998. And am looking for something non-touristy and more laid back "Old-Florida" as people call it. Even though I am only 33! And North Port seems the best so far... Any Advice?
My advice to you would be to get on a plane and actually visit the area before you make a big move. If you are looking for an exciting place for younger, childless people you may be disappointed in North Port. I would strongly recommend spending some time there before you make the leap.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:57 AM

Thanks deckardc for the advice. After months of doing research before I make the move, North Port seems the best move so far and for the money. And I like the idea of something a little more laid back, yet still close to nice beaches and everything. And to me, Englewood and Boca Grande beaches look A LOT better than how I remember Clearwater being. And without all the hustle. Nightlife for me? I'm used to not much... up here in Ohio isn't much better really. I'd take beach anyday over bar nite.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 AM

272 posts, read 1,407,142 times
If all you care about is the beach, you could do better than Englewood. How do you know they are nicer if you've never been there? Those are not the nicest beaches in the state and I'm not too sure many people would consider that area "Old Florida".

I'm a bit confused. Clearly you've made up your mind about North Port and nothing anyone says is going to make much difference. Exactly what advice are you looking for? Could you be more specific?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
My advice to you would be to get on a plane and actually visit the area before you make a big move. If you are looking for an exciting place for younger, childless people you may be disappointed in North Port. I would strongly recommend spending some time there before you make the leap.
Quote:
If all you care about is the beach, you could do better than Englewood. How do you know they are nicer if you've never been there? Those are not the nicest beaches in the state and I'm not too sure many people would consider that area "Old Florida".

I'm a bit confused. Clearly you've made up your mind about North Port and nothing anyone says is going to make much difference. Exactly what advice are you looking for? Could you be more specific?
In short, I'm not looking to move to Miami.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:

I also initially was settling in on Sarasota area, but housing there was scarce for me. I'm not rich or a millionaire, just working class like most everyone else... and all I could find was some 1100 sq ft house available. And living in a cracker box doesn't seem ideal to me. Even if it is near the beach. North Port= more home for your money.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 AM

3,758 posts, read 7,669,810 times
Quote:
I also initially was settling in on Sarasota area, but housing there was scarce for me. I'm not rich or a millionaire, just working class like most everyone else... and all I could find was some 1100 sq ft house available. And living in a cracker box doesn't seem ideal to me. Even if it is near the beach. North Port= more home for your money.
I dont know alot about North Port, but I did look in that area when I secured a position in Sarasota and noticed that the housing was pretty reasonable there. I could not afford Sarasota either, so I ended up just moving to Bradenton, which I loved. I think North Port is a good choice. You would be close enough to alot of nice beaches. I dont know much about the single life there, frankly, dont know much about the married with kids life either there, lol, but I think you will be OK there. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I dont know alot about North Port, but I did look in that area when I secured a position in Sarasota and noticed that the housing was pretty reasonable there. I could not afford Sarasota either, so I ended up just moving to Bradenton, which I loved. I think North Port is a good choice. You would be close enough to alot of nice beaches. I dont know much about the single life there, frankly, dont know much about the married with kids life either there, lol, but I think you will be OK there. Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah I'm single myself, but want a bigger home for when family come down and stay at times, maybe. Which I'm sure they would. And to put them up in a closet, wouldn't be ideal.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:03 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,887,556 times
Quote:
Thanks deckardc for the advice. After months of doing research before I make the move, North Port seems the best move so far and for the money. And I like the idea of something a little more laid back, yet still close to nice beaches and everything. And to me, Englewood and Boca Grande beaches look A LOT better than how I remember Clearwater being. And without all the hustle. Nightlife for me? I'm used to not much... up here in Ohio isn't much better really. I'd take beach anyday over bar nite.
Make sure to visit mid August, you'll get the effect of what 9-10 months of your life will feel like weather wise. As far as beaches, The Gulf is notorious for brown water most of the year its had a murkey look to it and some days couldn't see our toes in the water. The other half is red tide. Living up north now I see soo many commericals especially now for vacations to Naples and SWFL and they show two young people running on the beach , hand in hand crystal blue water, sun setting. I laugh hysterically because thats not how it is at all and the beaches definetly weren't like any I saw in my 24 years there. I think most people on here can attest to that. The commericals are very decieving and ment to catch your attention. If your going off of what you see on tv and tour books well don't. If you're going for the beaches you're going to be sorely dissapointed. Its not that they're not nice.. yeah some of them are really really nice, but day after day after day of the beach will get old.. Even people who say no it won't i love the beach , after months and months of it grow tired. Between fighting the tourists half the year for parking and spots on the beach and then the other half being hotter than he-ll its not fun.. Remember unlike the Atlantic the Gulf of Mexico heats up VERY fast. Don't be surprised if when its 98 degrees out the water is between 85-90 degree's itself so you won't be taking a cool dip by any means.. Think warm bath outside in the hot sun. Make sure you do ALLLLL your homework. Just cause florida is fun to visit doesn't mean thats what its like to live there. Many people move back to where they came from when they find this out. Go during tourist season , make sure to do things you would normally do if living there, go out to dinner, drive during rush hour etc.. Really get a feel for it.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 PM

15,199 posts, read 31,153,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Make sure to visit mid August, you'll get the effect of what 9-10 months of your life will feel like weather wise. As far as beaches, The Gulf is notorious for brown water most of the year its had a murkey look to it and some days couldn't see our toes in the water. The other half is red tide. Living up north now I see soo many commericals especially now for vacations to Naples and SWFL and they show two young people running on the beach , hand in hand crystal blue water, sun setting. I laugh hysterically because thats not how it is at all and the beaches definetly weren't like any I saw in my 24 years there. I think most people on here can attest to that. The commericals are very decieving and ment to catch your attention. If your going off of what you see on tv and tour books well don't. If you're going for the beaches you're going to be sorely dissapointed. Its not that they're not nice.. yeah some of them are really really nice, but day after day after day of the beach will get old.. Even people who say no it won't i love the beach , after months and months of it grow tired. Between fighting the tourists half the year for parking and spots on the beach and then the other half being hotter than he-ll its not fun.. Remember unlike the Atlantic the Gulf of Mexico heats up VERY fast. Don't be surprised if when its 98 degrees out the water is between 85-90 degree's itself so you won't be taking a cool dip by any means.. Think warm bath outside in the hot sun. Make sure you do ALLLLL your homework. Just cause florida is fun to visit doesn't mean thats what its like to live there. Many people move back to where they came from when they find this out. Go during tourist season , make sure to do things you would normally do if living there, go out to dinner, drive during rush hour etc.. Really get a feel for it.
While a lot of this is greatly exaggerated, there is a lot of truth to it as well. Year after year in SW Florida DOES get old, and I lived in a much nicer city (Sarasota) than where the original poster is looking to move to. It is very hot and humid in this area, and I don't think North Port has a lot of good positive things going for it right now. It can't be overstated how the snowbirds clog up the roads and restaurants half the year as well. I much prefer living in a more "normal" type inland community. FringednFab -I know you are enthusiastic, but you really need to do your homework and figure out what the reality of day-to-day living here is like. Florida is a BIG state, and I think there are much better areas to move to, just my personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida