Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times

Advertisements

Yes and at present we do not have the ability to move large numbers of people to a safe area in the event of a storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 09:11 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
the next explosion is Tampa -Orlando to Cocoa- the planners already in discussion and the present GOV's- stupid move of stopping the train, slowed things... but not stopped them-- it will happen. Cheap land and dying farms,,, lots of attractions and it is central... It s coming.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 PM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the next explosion is Tampa -Orlando to Cocoa- the planners already in discussion and the present GOV's- stupid move of stopping the train, slowed things... but not stopped them-- it will happen. Cheap land and dying farms,,, lots of attractions and it is central... It s coming.
Only if Crist gets reelected will the train have a chance to see the light of day. Considering the I-4 corridor has more people than southeast Florida sprawled from coast to coast, we need all the help we can get.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Only if Crist gets reelected will the train have a chance to see the light of day. Considering the I-4 corridor has more people than southeast Florida sprawled from coast to coast, we need all the help we can get.

Why not one child policy in every country? That should deal with the shortage of land to built houses.And end these suburb vs urban city debates.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Who or what should be responsible for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Yes and at present we do not have the ability to move large numbers of people to a safe area in the event of a storm.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Why not one child policy in every country? That should deal with the shortage of land to built houses.And end these suburb vs urban city debates.
no it wouldn't I for one am happy are population is growing my only concern is the poor planing by our local and state governments. in stead of supporting endless suburbs like in LA. I propose the state make 3 development boundaries. the first one is the urban development boundary and it make where building more than 6 stories tall can be built(excluding mass transit stations and sporting venues). The next boundary is the sub urban development boundary inside of which building smaller than 6 stories can be built along with bigger ones if they are transit hubs. however out side of it is the rural zone which only allow one home for every 5 acres.the rural development boundary is the last boundary and out side of it no human development can occur with the exception of a highway like I-75 to connect the state. once the entire state has these boundaries in place we can deal with the other issues that come with a growing population as we know where the growth will be.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 AM

155 posts, read 348,817 times
Default New Housing Moratorium in Florida?

New Housing Moratorium in Florida? Yes! 100% support this. We have unlimited sprawl and even after the housing boom we have greedy developers still wanting to convert golf courses into homes. Examples would be Mizner Trail GC in Boca Raton and Matanzas Woods Golf Course in Palm Coast. A building moratorium like in Oregon would be an excellent idea. But, is it too late. Was Rachel Carson right?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,580 times
I just want to let everyone know that as a Floridan, born and raised, and now living in another area, I try to talk EVERY person who wants to "move to Florida" out of moving there. Especially young people. There is just too much competition for everything. For example, recently in my hometown of Eustis, there were 120 eligible, eager applicants for the 2014 LPN class. The school can only accept 24. The same story with the local Community College RN program. Another story; I have a childhood friend from Eustis as well. She came to visit me in Maryland a few years back. She liked it so much that she decided to transfer her job to Maryland. She had been trying for several years to get promoted at the Eustis branch. Within one month of transferring to the branch in MD she was offered a promotion. My brother went from being a bum on my moms couch (for several years) to making a decent amount of money for a 23 year old when he moved to North Dakota last year and got a job installing garage doors. I have stories, upon stories. Everyone I know who left Florida is doing better off somewhere else.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
We do not need a train.

Too expensive to build and who in the heck would use it?

Who would go from one coast to another coast daily and use it?

Who would actually use the rail?

Locals might once in a while.

Did anyone look at the details?

If you miss a train you cannot catch another one for hours.

Can cost you the same or close to using the turn pike.

I see no advantages of spending the money on a rail system in Florida.

People think it will be a cheap way to get from point A to point B when it will not be cheap to use it.

Cost too much and if there is that kind of money floating around it can be best spent on other things.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Reading more about the rail I would like to see what benefit it would have to those living here.

Post your benefit to having this rail.

And the cost of it is staggering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida